Line Tensioners?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Im after some line tensioners, looking for some like the ones off a MLD gear, similar to this.

Anyone know where to get them?

5947531490_730f6461e1.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
can anyone confirm these work with normal 550 paracord? when dry and wet?

I'll try one later and let you know, I've got 1.7mm GloLine in mine at the moment which bites really well.

I reckon 550 will work but you might have to pull the centre threads out

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
I'll try one later and let you know, I've got 1.7mm GloLine in mine at the moment which bites really well.

I reckon 550 will work but you might have to pull the centre threads out

The ones i've seen supplied from the US say that they are suitable for 2-3mm cord
except made for thicker 2mm or 3mm cord
iirc 550 paracord is around 3.5mm so i didnt want to jump in and find out they dont work together.

If you've got 1.7mm lines rich i think you might have different ones?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'll check that GloLine, it must be fatter than I thought. As far as I know, they only come in one size, could be wrong though

Just found a couple next to me, uploading some pics to P'Bucket

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A couple of pics with US 550 paracord. it fits quite well actually. Tightening and loosening isn't as smooth as it could be, the smaller cords I've used with them have definitely been easier to adjust.

But 550 does fit no bother, I'd still think about removing the core though. Is it for guys? Is 550 a bit overkill?

I tried it with the good old UK paracord too and that was a little smoother with the tighter weave on the outer, forgot to take a pic of that though sorry

US Certified Government Contractor genuine 550 paracord, blah blah blah ..
P1000635.jpg

P1000636.jpg

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
The mini line locks are smaller and lighter, if you're looking for an alternative?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Cheers Rich, tbh i've got 100m of 550 cord so its the first thing that is used when making anything "cordy" but i could use anything that did the job.... might have a look for some other stuff.

The mini line locks are smaller and lighter, if you're looking for an alternative?

Im being a bit of a tart lol i like the look of the adjusters and thought i'd try and source some, although it'll be from the US. I have seen the normal mini tensioners available in the UK though if thats the same kind you mention?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

I like Line-Loks but you always have that minimum distance to take into account with the loop, sometimes I'd want to hunker right down to the ground and had to tie a knot instead of using the Line-Lok.

Another plus to this type is the fact that you can adjust them from inside as it's all done at the tarp end instead of at the peg. I've found this really useful with my Trailstar when the sil has sagged a bit after a down pour. I'll be putting them on my Superfly too when I eventually get round to it.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I like Linelocs but you always have that minimum distance to take into account with the loop, sometimes I'd want to hunker right down to the ground and had to tie a knot instead of using the Lineloc.

Another plus to this type is the fact that you can adjust them from inside as it's all done at the tarp end instead of at the peg. I've found this really useful with my Trailstar when the sil has sagged a bit after a down pour. I'll be putting them on my Superfly too when I eventually get round to it.

That's pretty much what caught my eye about them too.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They'd work well on your cold camps too Gary, if you put a decent knot on the free end you could easily adjust them with your mitt system. I gave a few to Pete but I don't know if he ever put them on his tarp?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
They'd work well on your cold camps too Gary, if you put a decent knot on the free end you could easily adjust them with your mitt system. I gave a few to Pete but I don't know if he ever put them on his tarp?

I've still got them mate, none of my lines are big enough to use them. I'm on 1.5mm dyneema at the moment.

These are doing the do for me, no slippage with the thin lines so far.

DSCN0681.jpg

Heres another option. Adjustable from inside the tarp and shiny titanium.
DSCN0626.jpg

I have to disagree with knots being unreliable in the cold.
DSCN0760.jpg

This is my line tied up with a fig 9 hitch on one end and en evenk hitch on the other. Both can be easily tied and released with mittens, or the knot being solid with ice.

The Evenk knot is used by reindeer herders in siberia, knots don't ever get much colder. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE