Lightweight camp grill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
On my to do list was to make a small and lightweight grill that would easily fit in a back pack. I found a grill whilst in Tesco, nothing special but cheap and a good size...

I started by cutting the sides off with the rotary tool making sure to leave a full rod still attached...

Next was the bending. You must heat the area to be bent well, you don't need it glowing just very hot. The 50p car boot torch was ample. Bend slowly while the rod is in the vice or just use pliers...

Get some 15 Amp connector blocks, you will need 8. Take the plastic off...

The thicker off-cuts of metal from the grill can be made into 4 legs....

Now onto the soldering. I'm using Silver solder as this should be OK with a small hot coal fire. Plumbers solder may work but I'm not sure? Brazing rods would be best but the melting temperatures are harder to work with...

You will need to place two connector blocks together, apply flux and solder them together...

Place the connectors on each bent tab on the grill. Tighten the screws and then solder...

Grind off the two screws...

Bend 4 M4 set screws, these will be used as levers to adjust the grill height...

Fit all the parts together. I also ground off the middle prongs on the grill as 4 legs are enough. I have only used the bent lever screws , the other screw hole in the connector can be a spare if the other strips? Now you have an adjustable grill...

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE