light weight food to carry when travelling outside by foot.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

soul72

Oct 6, 2009
kent
Hello
We are wondering if anyone know's what food is light weight to carry on our travels. We are on foot with only one bag each and need to know any advice anyone has. Thank you very much.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Reiter Travel Lunch are very light, taste good, have an varied menu range.

You not only save on weight, but on fuel and water, as the amount needed is poured into the pouch, no boiling water for simmering the pack in, nor fuel used for simmering.

Not the cheapest option, which is to dehydrate one's own food.

63004200.jpg

soul72

Oct 6, 2009
kent
thank you . we know about the pack type of foods. We were wondering about the old ways. What people used to carry before packs were invented. Thanks

soul72

Oct 6, 2009
kent
Reiter Travel Lunch are very light, taste good, have an varied menu range.

You not only save on weight, but on fuel and water, as the amount needed is poured into the pouch, no boiling water for simmering the pack in, nor fuel used for simmering.

Not the cheapest option, which is to dehydrate one's own food.

63004200.jpg

thank you . we know about the pack type of foods. We were wondering about the old ways. What people used to carry before packs were invented. Thanks

leon-1

I think the main thing to look at is Carbohydrates. This is one of the problems in many places is finding enough in the way of carbs.

People certainly used to carry flour of one form or another, rice, pasta and cous cous are reasonable things to carry.

I also carry small amount of herbs with me (thyme, garlic powder, pepper, salt, chilli powder and a number of others) as they can be used to change the aspect of something that may otherwise taste bland.

Dehydrated fruit or fruit leathers are another good one as are the likes of biltong and Jerked meats.

I'm a big fan of oats, bombay mix, dried fruit, mixed nuts, dark chocolate, dried seaweed, powdered hemp protein, marmite and kendal mint cake. The only major missing vitamin is C - i have to cheat with effervecent vit C tablets. Seaweed, while obviously horrible :eek: does contain an enormous variety of minerals, especailly iodine, which is useful for maintaining oral hygiene and dried it weighs almost nothing. I've lived off this mix for five days with no ill effects. It does get a bit boring though. I hear that game weighs very little :rolleyes:

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Dehydrated vegetables are great. If you get a dehydrator you can do your own. I usually bring carrots, sweetcorn, broccoli and tomatoes, but just about anything can be done. All of these will rehydrate over the normal cooking time of a meal. I also bring marrowfat peas, but you need to soak those all day, so it won't work if your traveling.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Get a dehydrator and look at an auther called "Mary Bell". Almost anything can be dehydrated to weigh next to nothing and it lasts a good while too. Stuff like rice and pasta can be cooked normaly first, then dehydrated to make them lighter than the original product. Ive had some beef in a cupboard for about 3 months and its still OK and if you store it in the freezer it can last indefinately.

Stu

soul72

Oct 6, 2009
kent
thanks for that flour we use any good ones for the fire with flour we live out and walk alot would like to get back to old ways with whats in season got food for free thanks for your help

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
thanks for that flour we use any good ones for the fire with flour we live out and walk alot would like to get back to old ways with whats in season got food for free thanks for your help

Living 'off the land' in the UK is near impossible to do so you will need to carry staples like flour, rice and pasta.

Leezo

On a new journey
May 5, 2008
GeordieLand
Hello
We are wondering if anyone know's what food is light weight to carry on our travels. We are on foot with only one bag each and need to know any advice anyone has. Thank you very much.

Living 'off the land' in the UK is near impossible to do so you will need to carry staples like flour, rice and pasta.

no its not we do it now your impossible is possible no more part timers thank you

I'm a bit confused here. You say you want advice about what food to carry and then in another thread you say your already living off the land.
Whats the point in carrying any if your saying it's possible for you to 'live off the land' :confused:

I'm not trying to get at you, I'm just trying to get an exact picture of exactly which information you require :)

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Pemmican is good source of protein and fat, lasts ages if done right.

Presumably you'd want to hunt your own dear, so that limits where you can go...in fact any requirement for meat.

I think what people are saying what they say its impossible to live off the land in the UK is that: a) most of the land is fallow arable land, and b) what isn't is usually owned by someone.

But,

If you can, please tell us all how, as we would genuinely enjoy and appreciate such knowledge.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
no its not we do it now your impossible is possible no more part timers thank you

To live of the land in the UK, relying only on what you can forage, fish, trap etc is I believe impossible. Perhaps if you have a car and can drive to the coast to fish, then drive off to find game, deer etc you have a chance of surviving a while but not forever, certainly during the winter months; there is just not enough wild food like that in the UK to keep body and mind going.

If you are doing that then please post details on your locations, food you hunt and gather all year round. I'm especially interested in how you preserve and maintain food stocks for the winter period and the quantities involved.

No daydreamers here.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
To live of the land in the UK, relying only on what you can forage, fish, trap etc is I believe impossible. Perhaps if you have a car and can drive to the coast to fish, then drive off to find game, deer etc you have a chance of surviving a while but not forever, certainly during the winter months; there is just not enough wild food like that in the UK to keep body and mind going.

If you are doing that then please post details on your locations, food you hunt and gather all year round. I'm especially interested in how you preserve and maintain food stocks for the winter period and the quantities involved.

No daydreamers here.

Repeated reply
http://www.wildmanwildfood.com/Dyeing with wild plants.html

It is very do-able. It isn't easy.

what an arrogant thread. Knowledge is earned not by those that yell for it but by those the quitely listen.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Repeated reply
http://www.wildmanwildfood.com/Dyeing with wild plants.html

It is very do-able. It isn't easy.

what an arrogant thread. Knowledge is earned not by those that yell for it but by those the quitely listen.

Good link, but look at what the guy is eating, how easy would it be to source them in most of the UK, what happens in winter? Native people all over the world can starve to death and they are the pro's and I'm sure it would be easier to do just that in the UK.

Certainly here in South Wales I'd have no real chance unless I was in a group where we could establish a community.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE