Legal issues uk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hawk

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2006
North Lincolnshire
Somebody asked me recently about the legality of non-medics carrying and administering injectable medicine in the Uk.

It is not illegal to possess any Prescription only Medication (POM) unless it is a controlled drug which applies to strong opiate pain killers, street recreational drugs, tranquilizers and some steriods. (See Misuse of drugs act 1971 and 2001)

However getting them in the first place is far more strictly controlled.

It is illeagal to administer most injectable drugs unless you are a medic, however there are some useful exceptions.

A non medic can only give Prescription only Medicices(POM) drugs in article 7 of the POMS (Human Use) act which covers all the following,

Adrenaline Injection 1 in 1000 (1 mg in 1 ml)
(Anaphylaxis and Severe Asthma)

Atropine Sulphate Injection
(organophosphate poisoning, Nerve Agents and Slow Heartbeats)

Chlorphenamine Injection
(antihistamine, Allergies, anaphylaxis)

Glucagon Injection
Glucose Injection 50%
(Hypogycaemia in Diabetes)

Hydrocortisone Injection
(anaphylaxis)

Naloxone Hydrochloride
(Heroin or morphine overdose)

Promethazine Hydrochloride Injection (antihistamine, Allergies, anaphylaxis)

Snake Venom Antiserum

The Following at Nerve Agent Antidotes
Atropine sulphate and obidoxime chloride injection
Atropine sulphate and pralidoxime chloride injection
Atropine sulphate, pralidoxime mesilate and avizafone injection
Pralidoxime chloride injection
Pralidoxime mesilate injection
Sterile Pralidoxime

The Following at Cyanide Antidotes
Dicobalt Edetate Injection
Sodium Nitrite Injection
Sodium Thiosulphate Injection

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
You don't have morphine in the list? Or is it limited to non-controlled drugs as the list is from the POM act?

Mountain Rescue Teams are licensed to carry and administer morphine. Typically for an adult 10mg to 15mg IM or a similar dose (can't remember the exact dose) of diamorphine IN. In some cases I think teams also carry IM ketamine and some other injectables, but these would be administered by a Team doctor so wouldn't be covered in this case?

I guess then that other injectable substances like botox aren't POM?

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
it might be worth pointing out to those travelling from the UK that some over the counter medicines are illegal in some countries. Codeine is an obvious example to be wary of taking abroad. Fully prepped amateur medics might like to check.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I didn't see insulin on your list? Or other injectable diabetes meds (Byetta, or Victoza) Being as insulin may be needed as much as 4 times a day it would seem it should be there. Byetta is only twice daily and Victoza only once daily.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I wonder if this is rather like knife and firearms law in that ultimately it doesn`t really matter what the law actually says. What matters is what the police and the curtain twitchers who call them think the law says.

The only saving grace of knowing the law is if you keep your mouth shut, eventually everything will be cleared up. That wont stop you from being treated like a criminal though.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ultimately, IF you have a Rx med (self injectable or otherwise) shouldn't it have the Rx attached anyway?

Hawk

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2006
North Lincolnshire
The list are only drugs that can be administered by anyone. There are others that can be given by particular groups of people such as midwives and mountain rescue staff under exemptions.

No non prescribing group can give insulin unless using it under a patient group directive (pgd) written by a prescriber.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
seems so complicated and dangerous, you would have to know the patient's history, including allergies to all components, then diagnose with the possibility that they might be suffering from more than one ailment. If so complete why no sugary stuff for the hypo diabetic and nitrolingual pump spray for the angina/heart patient etc etc?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
...........and, since POM's are normally only issued to the person they are intended for, why should anyone else have them ?

That's where the legal/illegal confusion comes in.

I was told that my epi-pen is mine, intended for me, no one else should have possession of it. That's not what you're saying. Yes? No?

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think that would make a difference, but supposing someone had possession of one that wasn't intended for them ? and they weren't a medically qualified person to administer such a thing on their own recognisance ?

How does it work then ?

M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The list are only drugs that can be administered by anyone. There are others that can be given by particular groups of people such as midwives and mountain rescue staff under exemptions.

No non prescribing group can give insulin unless using it under a patient group directive (pgd) written by a prescriber.

So your diabetics don't self administer their drugs? Seems a lot of trouble (not to mention expensive) to find a medic or rescue staff 4 times a day. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So what's the position of, say, self-injecting vitamin B12?

I didn't know you could get injections of that stuff :yikes: the pills are bad enough; whole body flushes that are actually painful aren't something to be messed around with.

M

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
So what's the position of, say, self-injecting vitamin B12?

I didn't know you could get injections of that stuff :yikes: the pills are bad enough; whole body flushes that are actually painful aren't something to be messed around with.

Are we talking about the same stuff? I've taken B12 many a time with absolutely no noticeable effects. I only take them 'cause SWMBO gives them to me at breakfast. She needs the supplement; I don't.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

M

Yeah, they've been around for decades at least. Over here the B12 injections are usually a sign of an alcoholic as they're useful in overcoming hangover; although sometimes they're legitamitely prescribed for anemics. I don't believe the supplement pills have the same effect though.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's more usually a niacin flush (B5) but B12 does it too :sigh:

Worst case of ants crawling under the skin imaginable, and the red hot flush is almost like sunburn. Doesn't last all that long thankfully, but that hour of misery isn't funny :(

Anaemia was the reason I was given them. The Doc decided agin it and I just took iron instead.

M

Hawk

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2006
North Lincolnshire
The list is just as it is it's law. All the drugs are potentially lifesaving which is why they are exempt from prescription regulations I'd used In an emergency.

Hypostop isn't a prescription drug so not relevant and GTN is a pharmacy not a prescription drug so again not included.

There are a lot of other injectables drugs that are meant to be used routinely rather than in an emergency like insulin etc

It is ok for anybody to inject themselves with any drug that's prescribed to them for that purpose.

Epipens are used In industry, schools and by some community responders all under this legislation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE