Learning to make my own clothes.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hi Guys

I have recently started learning to sew, and was wondering. What resources did you use when you first started learning?

What books are good ones to read, what online resources did you use and find useful?

My aim is to be able to take measurements from a person, draft this into a workable pattern and then be able to sew it together and eventually tailor the fit.

I know people go to college and university to learn this stuff but i haven't got that option, and so whilst i know it will take MUCH longer i am looking at other avenues to the same destination.

Can anyone help me?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Speak to Mr Fenna :)

From my point of view, think about what you would actually like to make.....and suss that out. Just take it step by step.
Learn to make toiles, and don't worry about cutting them up and adjusting them, that's what they are for; playing around with fit and style and shape. I usually use something like polycotton cream or white so that I can write (I jest you not :) ) on the fabric so that I can see what I was thinking about as I worked on it....or who I was fitting in a different colour from the next fellow when it's costume pieces.

Be patient; it's a tremendous blessing, it really is.

Craftsy do online courses too. I don't think they are particularly cheap, but a lot of people seem to appreciate them, so might be worth a look at.

Best of luck with it :)

cheers,
Mary

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I did a two year B-tec OND in Fashion Design and our "bible" was Winired Aldrich's "Metric Pattern Cutting" series of books.
An updated version of these books is available on Amazon and I would highly recommend them if you want to do it right :)
Unfortunately my own series of books are out of print, I do not have copies of all the titles and they never seem to come up on second hand sites...
I do have a copy of my "A Basic Guide to Making your Own Outdoor Activities Clothing" book at home - but it ain't for sale or trade!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
ahh ok so basically do a test garment and then change it and use this as a pattern?

Dave

That's it :D

This bushshirt pattern that I'm making for you is a good starting point. If you make it up out of something that's not going to break the bank you can see how the 2D pattern actually relates to the 3D shirt, and see how it fits (or doesn't :/ we're hoping it's pretty good :) ) on yourself, and then adjust it without fretting about the expense of the fabric. Old blankets are idea for this one.

cheers,
M

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hi Mary

I'm gonna get some cheap cotton to try it out on first lol, then i've got a PINK woollen blanket, that will be sacrificed for the finished shirt lol.

It will be died using tea i think and hopefully wont make me look too "fabulous".

I was looking at the Metric Pattern cutting book today John and think I will get one of those with the pay cheque after xmas lol

There is one specifically for menswear so think i'll plump for that one.

Did have a look at the Craftsy site and whilst the courses aren't cheap they look really well put together, with cut lists and a host of other stuff that would come in handy. They have a couple of free starter lessons, so might try those and then see where that takes me, Watch this space!

Thanks

Dave

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Dave,
Mary & John (along with Topknot, Neil and others) are our textile guru's and a massive benefit if you can get to speak to them in person. Mary's encouragement to me when I was first making my ventile smock was brilliant, as it was through making the Riflemans coat and more recently with the pass-around bush-shirt.

I haven't resorted to books for any learning, but practise in keeping stitches small and in-line is always good - I have watched a few Youtube vids but they're not always helpful for the questions I have - they always seem to expect a certain level of ability before taking to the advanced understanding (though it is equally as likely that I'm not watching the right ones!).

As to patterns from a person, I haven't tried with anyone else other than myself, but I always claim that whatever I make fits well enough.

The added benefit of making things yourself is that you are not afraid of hacking it to bits to modify some part or stitch in extras after the initial garment is finished - that and you become a very big critic of garments that could have been made better, bigger, another pocket here or there, different button placement etc etc etc.

Have fun with it, only good can come from learning it as a skill.

ATB

Ogri the trog

sgtoutback

Nomad
Jun 29, 2010
Near the fundy
Good advice from the folks up above, making a pattern from something you dont mind taking apart is something thats also not a bad plan. i.e. an old shirt etc you dont mind cutting/unpicking. Toddy's bush shirt pattern is fabulous if you can get a copy.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Thanks all

I look forward to receiving the pattern you are sending Mary as this will show me how the measurements i gave you relate to the actual pattern.

Thanks

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE