Lavvu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What is better for bushcraft?

• A traditional canvas lavvu with wooden poles

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • A modern lavvu made of light material and a single metal pole

Votes: 66 68.8%

• Total voters

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
I have a Bison Tundra 4 which I have just spent the week living in and I have been very impressed. Definately recommended. This is a cotton/canvas style tent - with a metal pole so I think this falls between the two options in the poll! The single pole makes the pack size smaller and the material makes it more flame retardant than lightweight tent materials.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I got the tundra and stove last autumn 16 :eek:

It was more like a venue than a "tent" and was WAY more than I needed... I ended up swapping it for a tentipi Vagge 8, floor and firebox which i'm SO chuffed with!

The tipi fits in the side pocket of my Karrimor Sabre 75 - Packing down to 10 litres, for me at least is FANTASTIC for such a good sized shelter. Obviously the poles are not part of this packing but do strap nicely to the outside of the pack.

This is my winter solution and I have to say, it takes a lot of beating... when it's raining sideways outside and I still have room to cook stretch and be active, I often risk pushing through the smug barrier!

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
For info on the Tundra have a look at the group buy section on this forum;

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=16528

There is alot of info there including UK prices etc. You can email Vidar at Bison in English mail to:vidar@beaver.no and he responds to questions very quickly in English. I ordered direct from them with a credit card the whole process took about a week from credit card payment to delivery. Hope this helps :)

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I have one of these:
tourtipi.jpg

and one of these:
lavvu.jpg

The first one is a single pole canvas tipi, the second a lightweight lavvu.
Both are easy to set up. The canvas tipi is more comfortable and somehow the canvas feels more "natural". Canvas is heavy and bulky though, so the lavvu is much easier to transport.
I tend to use the canvas tipi for family camping and the lavvu for more "bushcrafty" things.

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
I like the Tundra and it feels good that it is a Norwegian tent as my grandparents have a mountain house in Norway. My grandpa dislikes me getting anything Swedish. When I was last in Norway I bought a reindeer hide for £25 so I will be using that in whichever I choose..

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Gwhtbushcraft said:
Oh and rik thanks for the info but i was really looking at them as a way of comparing the others.

Here is one comparison if sending from the UK to the states as I did recently, 11kg cost £90 airmail, around $170US, that said, My mate in the States paid the postage (and was very happy with what he got) and it arrived in 7 days

antwerpman

Apr 29, 2006
belgium
Hello Anthonyyy, are you happy with the lightweight lavvu. I am considering one for backpacking. Living in Ireland, you should know if it is windresistant

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
antwerpman said:
Hello Anthonyyy, are you happy with the lightweight lavvu. I am considering one for backpacking. Living in Ireland, you should know if it is windresistant

I have used it in force 7 winds and heavy rain with no problems. I am very happy with it. If you are backpacking with it they have an option of an extra light pole.

You can have only a small fire in it I use a hobo stove.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
My vote is neither after seeing a £600 Moseskatellan (spelling?) flattened by the wind whilst a £30 Eurohike dome tent thrummed merrily next door

antwerpman

Apr 29, 2006
belgium
mine survived gale force 9 in Ireland. I think they are very wind resistant. You need to apply the storm ropes and use good pegs of course.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
I love my bison lavvu i would say its one of the best purchases i made.
The first weekend we used it camping we had torrential rain and gale force winds all weekend and it didnt bother the lavvu in the slightest a lot of other campers got very wet and a few had broken tents.

bishopscastle005.jpg

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hi Still waters.

Ive got the same lavvu, and have been toying with the idea of having a groundsheet made, or buying the bison one. However, I have heard that the 4m groundsheet, is a bit small, and does not fit right up to the edge?

Also I notice from your photo, that you have not attached your guy lines to the exterior tabs on the outside of the lavvu. [The black nylon tabs, attached to the seam nr the base of the lavvu, with the two brass grommets]

I had assumed that the black straps and buckles on the inside of the lavvu, [not pictured in your photo,] that are adjacent to the exterior tabs, were used to connect the groundsheet, and keep it taut?

From the photo it looks like you have used these interior black straps and buckles to peg it to the ground?

[Hope that makes sense.]

Am I correct?

If so, Why havent you run a guyline from the exterior tabs, to the tent pegs? [Or am I missing something?]

And do you have any photos, which you could post, of the groundsheet attached to the inside of the lavvu?

Many Thanks.

Dave.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE