Last minute HEEELLLPPP.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm sure you'll find a knife while there, and someone to offer instruction. I'd recommend an Opinel, Swiss Army, or small fixed blade as a first knife for most kids, but I don't know what kind of environment he's grown up in. Would a Gerber Paracord be a bit too much for him?

Personally I think it may be too much knife for a young lad, but, as I say, I don't know the little fellas' capabilities. The handle doesn't offer a palm full of grip.

Anyway, enough waffle, there's one spare here.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The morning of the first "Core Day" will be a knife safety brief that everyone is asked to attend, that will run over the basics of cutting tool safety, but if you want something more, just ask around - everyone will have something to contribute - and if you can't find anyone who is willing, see one of the staff.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The morning of the first "Core Day" will be a knife safety brief that everyone is asked to attend, that will run over the basics of cutting tool safety, but if you want something more, just ask around - everyone will have something to contribute - and if you can't find anyone who is willing, see one of the staff.

ATB

Ogri the trog

That's good. :)

mlc35

Jul 6, 2014
Cleveland

ATB

Ogri the trog

That's good to know, if the first core day is the Friday then we wont get there until lunch time but I will definitely organise for someone to offer him some advice that doesn't come from me. He is quite a capable little chap and has a lot of outdoor experience but sometimes its worth him learning something from another source so he can feel as though he will be telling me something.
if he shows maturity then he will get to spend some of his recent birthday money on his own knife. I have taken great pains to differentiate between something being a craft tool and something being a weapon, so he will have to demonstrate that understanding before he starts buying!
thanks for the advice so far. I am definitely feeling less stressed about not being fully prepared :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
That's good to know, if the first core day is the Friday then we wont get there until lunch time but I will definitely organise for someone to offer him some advice that doesn't come from me. He is quite a capable little chap and has a lot of outdoor experience but sometimes its worth him learning something from another source so he can feel as though he will be telling me something.
if he shows maturity then he will get to spend some of his recent birthday money on his own knife. I have taken great pains to differentiate between something being a craft tool and something being a weapon, so he will have to demonstrate that understanding before he starts buying!
thanks for the advice so far. I am definitely feeling less stressed about not being fully prepared :)

The first core day when all the workshops etc kick off is the Saturday so you won't miss the the safety talks :)

mlc35

Jul 6, 2014
Cleveland
The first core day when all the workshops etc kick off is the Saturday so you won't miss the the safety talks :)

cool - thank you.
I am now much more relaxed having made the car decision, along with the decision not to go super light on kit. So definitely feeling more like a fun break as opposed to a survival experience. Really looking forward to it, with a view to bringing his little sister next year (God help you all).
cant wait to get packed up and on the road.

:)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
cool - thank you.
I am now much more relaxed having made the car decision, along with the decision not to go super light on kit. So definitely feeling more like a fun break as opposed to a survival experience. Really looking forward to it, with a view to bringing his little sister next year (God help you all).
cant wait to get packed up and on the road.

:)

TBH that's what the moot is, a fun break for everyone so why rough it? :)

You probably won't see your son from morning until evening as he'll make loads of new friends and they'll run riot exploring a great place for kids

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If it was not fun I would not be there :)
As to light on kit - any fool can be uncomfortable ... and I prefer being uncomfortable for half a day each end of the Moot(humping the stuff to our remote site and back) than for the duration of my stay :)
The only restriction to put on your lad is for him not to go near Dingly Dell until I have had my first coffee of the morning or his remains may be found in my contribution to the communal meal ... I am not good before my first coffee....

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If it was not fun I would not be there :)
As to light on kit - any fool can be uncomfortable ... and I prefer being uncomfortable for half a day each end of the Moot(humping the stuff to our remote site and back) than for the duration of my stay :)
The only restriction to put on your lad is for him not to go near Dingly Dell until I have had my first coffee of the morning or his remains may be found in my contribution to the communal meal ... I am not good before my first coffee....

This is very true... fortunately John is an early riser and gets his fix before the other residents of Dingly Dell are up and about so he's reasonably civilised and coherent. :rolleyes:

However, were your son to bring with him a tin of bacon grill he'll find John an extremely nice chap who might even cook him up a slice or two of said bacon grill rather than offering him for the pot :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE