Last minute HEEELLLPPP.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mlc35

Jul 6, 2014
Cleveland
Hello,

I am just putting my list together for our (my now 8yr old and me) first ever Bushmoot trip and have realised I am short of a couple of things.
From looking at the forums I see that people sell stuff at the event, am I therefore being presumptuous that I can acquire the following when we arrive on Friday afternoon:
1. an extra hammock for my 8yr old.
2. fly/mozzy nets x2.
3. a large tarp and associated ropes/lines.
4. a medium tarp and associated ropes/lines.
5. a tripod cooking set-up like one below:
bushmoot_zps167c69ba.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

apologies to the couple I nicked the photo off!

I will be taking a small 3 man tent and air bed, plus back up cooking kit - so no mad panic if I cant get my hands on the kit above. However we would really like to make the most of the opportunity and only use the tent as storage.

6. a suitable small knife for my 8yr old plus some adult instruction (other than his boring dad)

my overall camp plan is to have:
A. Large tarp for the 'living' area to keep us dry when doing lego and cooking while it rains.
B. Medium tarp over hammocks.
C. Tent for storing stuff, and fall back accommodation if things don't go to plan.

Finally one last daft question - what is the road surface like around the site?
the reason for my proper daft question is that my wife and I are lucky enough to have a car each, however my car is a small sports car with very little road clearance, therefore if the road surface is not too good I will have to bring the wife's car and leave her and our 5yr old daughter with the sports car.... (oh please no !)

sorry for the late long winded waffle, but any support would be appreciated.
Cheers,

Jon and Nate.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I will have the tarps. DD 3x3 and a 4.5 x 3
I'm PM you later the cost of them
I'm also doing Ghillie. Kettles if you are interested

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
No need to buy a tripod, just lash three poles together. The road into the site is quite rough, but small cars have no trouble with it. there is no way of telling what will be on sale there, as people bring their unused/wanted kit to sell. There are always a few knives for sale. To be on the safe side, I would bring a cheap plastic builders tarp From Wickes or B&Q just in case there is not one available at the bring and buy. Hope this helps.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Tripod you can make on site so that's easy and you're allowed ground fires so long as you clean up afterwards.

Sandbag has sorted the tarps for you :)

You might be ok with your sports car to the main carpark if you take it very, very gently but personally I'd leave it behind.

Jul 31, 2013
Sutherland
Do you still need the Hammock? I can lend you one for the core days. You should be OK without Mozzy nets. We have never used them to date.

Hello,

I am just putting my list together for our (my now 8yr old and me) first ever Bushmoot trip and have realised I am short of a couple of things.
From looking at the forums I see that people sell stuff at the event, am I therefore being presumptuous that I can acquire the following when we arrive on Friday afternoon:
1. an extra hammock for my 8yr old.
2. fly/mozzy nets x2.
3. a large tarp and associated ropes/lines.
4. a medium tarp and associated ropes/lines.
5. a tripod cooking set-up like one below:
bushmoot_zps167c69ba.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

apologies to the couple I nicked the photo off!

I will be taking a small 3 man tent and air bed, plus back up cooking kit - so no mad panic if I cant get my hands on the kit above. However we would really like to make the most of the opportunity and only use the tent as storage.

6. a suitable small knife for my 8yr old plus some adult instruction (other than his boring dad)

my overall camp plan is to have:
A. Large tarp for the 'living' area to keep us dry when doing lego and cooking while it rains.
B. Medium tarp over hammocks.
C. Tent for storing stuff, and fall back accommodation if things don't go to plan.

Finally one last daft question - what is the road surface like around the site?
the reason for my proper daft question is that my wife and I are lucky enough to have a car each, however my car is a small sports car with very little road clearance, therefore if the road surface is not too good I will have to bring the wife's car and leave her and our 5yr old daughter with the sports car.... (oh please no !)

sorry for the late long winded waffle, but any support would be appreciated.
Cheers,

Jon and Nate.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I will stick my old Ray Mears Eco hammock in ... it is well used, has been totally re-sewn by me (I can use a machine .. I designed for Craghoppers for a while...) and is still very usable - but I now use one I designed and built for myself. I have a mozzie net (nor the RM ) that is designed to go with a hammock and I will put that in too.
Do not feel pressured - if you get a better offer then I am sure someone else will take the one I am offering.
I will hold onto the hammock until you get to the Moot and you can walk up to the swap shop with me if it suits :)
Look for me in Dingly Dell :)
I will be pricing hammock and net at £30 together.

mlc35

Jul 6, 2014
Cleveland
Thanks every one.
I will bring some cash and definitely come find you guys when I get there.

I had no idea how much I need a ghillie kettle. once I receive the PM on the tarps I will check the budget to see if I can stretch to the kettle (I properly want one having watched the video)

I wont risk the car at the moot, shall have to leave it with the missus!

thanks again.

J & N

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just found the Climbing Grade Screwgate Karabiner and webbing (with drip-ring) webbing hangers for the RM hammock - an extra £10 :)

Last edited:

mlc35

Jul 6, 2014
Cleveland
I just found the Climbing Grade Screwgate Karabiner and weebing (with drip-ring) webbing hangers for the RM hammock - an extra £10 :)

Err... that was just what I was hoping you had found? I will pack an extra £10 in case I cant find my "drip ring" :confused:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Err... that was just what I was hoping you had found? I will pack an extra £10 in case I cant find my "drip ring" :confused:

:) To clarify -
While some folk just thread a rope or webbing strap or such through the sewn tunnel at the end of a hammock and suspend the hammock on those the RM came with webbing straps that incorporated a metal ring. This ring - the "drip ring" makes it impossible for the rain to wick along the webbing and into the hammock as it all drips off when reaching the said "Drip Ring".
Originally the ring attached to the hammock with sewn tape loops but I replaced the loops with climbing grade Screw Gate Karabiners - snap links that close securely with a screw down action cover and which are designed to take the impact of an adult falling from a great height and not fail (unlike the sewn loop that failed when my lardy bottom sat on it....)
:)

mlc35

Jul 6, 2014
Cleveland
:) To clarify -
While some folk just thread a rope or webbing strap or such through the sewn tunnel at the end of a hammock and suspend the hammock on those the RM came with webbing straps that incorporated a metal ring. This ring - the "drip ring" makes it impossible for the rain to wick along the webbing and into the hammock as it all drips off when reaching the said "Drip Ring".
Originally the ring attached to the hammock with sewn tape loops but I replaced the loops with climbing grade Screw Gate Karabiners - snap links that close securely with a screw down action cover and which are designed to take the impact of an adult falling from a great height and not fail (unlike the sewn loop that failed when my lardy bottom sat on it....)
:)

Brilliant - extra £10 packed :D

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51

I'd bring plenty of the folding stuff, there will be lots of other goodies that you didn't know you needed, believe me. I'll have some spare ratpaks if you want to play and lots of other bits from the group buys etc.

The bigger car is the better idea.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Car? - I need my van (already fully packed .. I can hear the springs groaning from here!) to carry all my goodies!
But yes - bring lots of folding stuff there are loads of bargains to be had ... and not only from me :)

mlc35

Jul 6, 2014
Cleveland
I'd bring plenty of the folding stuff, there will be lots of other goodies that you didn't know you needed, believe me. I'll have some spare ratpaks if you want to play and lots of other bits from the group buys etc.

The bigger car is the better idea.

Thanks for the advice, sounds like you have sussed me out already :)
The wife is going to love this, taking her first born, her car, and more money than I have got to purchase things I don't know exist but need. :lmao:
I already know I am going to be in trouble when I get back, and I haven't gone yet - oh well !

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Car? - I need my van (already fully packed .. I can hear the springs groaning from here!) to carry all my goodies!
But yes - bring lots of folding stuff there are loads of bargains to be had ... and not only from me :)

Do you want a single barrel or both barrels when you come up the NC John? :lmao:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks for the advice, sounds like you have sussed me out already :)
The wife is going to love this, taking her first born, her car, and more money than I have got to purchase things I don't know exist but need. :lmao:
I already know I am going to be in trouble when I get back, and I haven't gone yet - oh well !

Any trouble will be worth it :)
The Moot is a very special thing!(and also addictive)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE