Knots video

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Excellent videos Simon, i watched them all. I use the tarbuck and prussick but will find an opertunity to use the others.
Also i realy think you have a good teaching manner as i found them realy easy to follow and listen to. :You_Rock_

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Stew said:
Well done Si - real nice videos.

Like Scanker, knots are something I enjoy. I love learning new ones (and re-remembering the old again - Icicle hitch, that's one I've played with before but forgotten about)

I love the different ways they can be tied. I first learnt the bowline with the classic, "make the hole, rabbit comes out of the hole, round the tree and back down the hole". Years later I was shown a method that takes about 10 seconds but it was good having that initial method to know what's going on.

The constrictor (include the clove hitch with this too) is another good example. It's good to know how to tie them if you've got the end of the rope but I think it's also useful to know how to tie them in the middle of the rope.
Just as a slight aside, I learnt my constrictor knot slightly different to you. In the version I know, when you bring the live end under the diagonal piece you go over the first wrap around then back under it - essentially like you've tied an overhand knot with a diagonal over the top of it. I have no doubt your version works just as well and looks simpler to tie.

The alpine butterfly also has a number of ways to tie and I'm still not 100% sure which is the "right" one or even if there is a difference in stregth between them. They certainly look slightly different....

One I learnt recently that I find extremely useful was shown to me by Mors at the Moot.
It's a variant on the Trucker's Hitch but I don't know the name. Maybe someone else does?
What makes it better for me is the speed of tying, it's ability to self lock if you want but not if you don't plus the speed of untying and removing ll trace fo the knot.

If no one can come up with a name or a good description, I guess I'll have to make a video too!

Oh and I'll add a vote for the Falconer's Knot. A very poorly documented knot and I would love to learn it as everyone recommends it!

Thanks Stew,

That constrictor sounds like it will go fiendishly tight. When I did a 3mm cordette strength test I used a constrictor on the weight bench in the videos. I had to cut it off, it had almost petrified!

Regarding the Alpine Butterfly, yes you are correct there is at least one more way to tie it, but the examples (2) that I know of are exactly the same shape when finished

I would love to see and know more mechanical advantage knots, they really are a joy to tie and use, especially when you hear things creaking under the pressure they are exerting :)

Please feel free to send me video(Everyone this is), if they are massive we can arrange for FTP through MSN Messenger, I can edit and host for you if you like.

Looks like I will have to get the Ashley book of knots to learn the Falconers Hitch, I havent heard of it before this thread (not that I know that many anyway)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Simon E said:
Looks like I will have to get the Ashley book of knots to learn the Falconers Hitch, I havent heard of it before this thread (not that I know that many anyway)

I've got Ashley but I don't think it's in there. :confused: I'll try remember to look tonight....

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
scanker said:
http://www.themodernapprentice.com/knot.htm

These are the best instructions I've found for the Falconer's knot, and even they aren't that clear IMO. I struggled for quite a while with this knot until Wayne showed it to me when I was on a first aid course. Once you see it done, it's ever so simple.

I've just been playing with this.

It's one great plus is the ability to tie one handed but after that, I think you might as well use a slippery figure-of-eight.

http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~mjf/bushcraft/images/image2_2.jpg

Unless there's something I'm missing about it.....

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Nope, that's my interpretation too.

Unless I've not quite got it right, the Falconer's knot just seems to be a slipped overhand knot with the working end put through the loop for added security.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
That's good for reassurance. Of course we may both be doing something wrong! :D

I'm sure it's great if you've got a bird of prey sat on your arm but when I'm putting up a tarp I can use both hands!

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I think the "Falconer's Knot" is a game along the lines of Mornington Crescent. The knot doesn't seem all that good, but people seem to love it, whilst at the same time instructions are few and far between. Of course, this statement means I'm barred from entry! :D

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
All I can say is the Falconer's knot is a subtle variation on the Evenk knot (which most people drool about 'cos RM uses it) and is equally as effective.....both need securing with an additional half hitch. If you can master it, it's another string to your bow which you don't have to use unless your circumstances require it. As the phrase goes, carry less by knowing more...it takes no space in the rucksack but just might come in useful and is fun to try out anyway..... :)

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I like the falconers knot for tarp and hammock. It is difficult to explain but reasonably easy to demonstrate.
I like it because I can hold my kit out of the mud and leaf litter on the floor while I tie it up with one hand, really quick to tie, it is really easy to release and the other reason I like it is that it looks quite impressive when you tie it :eek: .
I know how to tie lots of knots and I use different knots for different jobs, sometimes I will use different knots for the same job, but I seem to have stuck with the falconers knot for hammock/tarp for the reasons given.

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Guys, some kind soul pointed out a few errors in my instruction.

viz.

1: A square knot is not the simple knot every child knows but another name for the reef knot (left over right, right over left)

2: The constrictor knot is finished incorrectly. I will add the correct video today and place a notice next to it explaining the difference.

Thanks

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Simon E said:
Guys, some kind soul pointed out a few errors in my instruction.

viz.

1: A square knot is not the simple knot every child knows but another word for another name for the reef knot (left over right, right over left)

2: The constricor knot is finished incorrectly. I will add the correct video today and place a notice next to it explaining the difference.

Thanks
I think the Americans call the reef knot a square knot, there is another square knot but not been able to see your videos!

Mang

Settler
I learnt my constrictor knot slightly different to you. In the version I know, when you bring the live end under the diagonal piece you go over the first wrap around then back under it - essentially like you've tied an overhand knot with a diagonal over the top of it. I have no doubt your version works just as well and looks simpler to tie.

The alpine butterfly also has a number of ways to tie and I'm still not 100% sure which is the "right" one or even if there is a difference in stregth between them. They certainly look slightly different....

Guys, some kind soul pointed out a few errors in my instruction....The constrictor knot is finished incorrectly. I will add the correct video today and place a notice next to it explaining the difference.

This is before my time too! I've seen more than one way to tie a Constrictor and Alpine Butterfly too. The video for the former is the most popular that I've seen.

The one I want to master is the Bowline tied with one hand but i can find a book that shows me ( and I have several)...

The one I want to master is the Bowline tied with one hand but i can find a book that shows me ( and I have several)...

Mang

I used to be able to tie the bowline one-handed, I can't point you to a book / video, but I'll try & explain - you'll have to bear with me...

It's best if you consider the following scenario - you've fallen down a cliff onto a ledge, you still need to hold on, but can let one hand free (say right) to help with your rescue - so the rescuer lowers a rope down to you from above.

You manoeuvre yourself such that the rope is then hanging in front of you, preferably to the side which you will continue to hold on with (eg left). Reach around your back with your right arm and grab the rope, pulling it under your armpits and back in front of you.

Then holding the rope about 12" from the end place your right hand over the rope going up to your rescuer (the standing rope). Now twist your wrist so that your right hand & the end of the rope go over the standing rope and come back up towards you (making a loop around your wrist with the end of the rope passing up through the loop with your hand). The loop should have the end going to your rescuer underneath / away from you, with the end going around your back on top / towards your chest.

Now pass the end of the rope around the rope going up to your rescuer and pull the end back down through the loop (freeing your right hand).

You should now have a bowline tied around you, which your rescuer can use to pull you back up to safety.

I know that's a really long explanation, but I could think of any other way to word it.

I hope this helps - I'm sure that's right as I've just checked it using a length of string, trouble is whether you can follow my train of thought.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE