Knots video

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Well done Simon. That was nice and clear. I'm pleased to see I have been tying it correctly for all these years ;)

What's next....???

Stan Pinn

Sep 16, 2006
Swindon
That was really good, thanks! MORE MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :You_Rock_ :You_Rock_ :You_Rock_ :You_Rock_ :You_Rock_ :You_Rock_ :You_Rock_

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Thanks Simon,

Easier to follow than the animated-knots web site ( which i find a little too fast, and the step by steps seem to miss the subtle alterations you explain in each stage. )

:You_Rock_

You seem to have filmed the Prussic in a shower cubicle ??? :)

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Thanks guys, its great to get such positive feedback. :)

I will do some more tommorrow, especially knots that are quick release or can be used to tighten guy lines without those silly plastic things.

Any particular requests? I dont know all of them though! :D

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
They're very good Simon. I'm quite into knots and those videos were very clear.

I imagine the Event knot would go down well. I was recently shown the Falconer's knot and that would be a good one to do as it seems to be little documented.

I use a Blake's Hitch for my guylines, so that or some variant of midshipman's hitch or adjustable hitch would be useful I think.

Other knots I use, that might be useful demonstrated to others are Fisherman's loop, figure of eight loop, bowline, trucker's hitch. That's all off the top of my head, if I think of more I'll add them.

Edit to add constrictor knot, clove hitch, klemheist knot, fisherman's knot.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Everybody should know the evenk hitch and the tautline hitch, so they'd be good to have.

Other than that, I'll leave it in your hands. I've been developing a fondness for wierd bends recently - Zepplin bend, Ashley bend, etc... - but they'd all get very confusing for a novice.

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Oh! There should have been a truckers hitch, D'oh! :rolleyes:

Truckers Hitch / Truckers Dolly

Next on the list are

1: Englishmans Knot
2: Double Fishermans knot (basically a modified Englishmans / True lovers knot)
3: Figure 8
4: Figure 8 tied in (as used by climbers to attach a rope to their harness)
5:Tarbuck Knot (Used for adjusting guy lines or anything that needs to be re tensioned, I find this better than the Midshipmans Hitch)
6: Munter Hitch
7: Round turn bowline
8: Perfection loop (this will hold bunjee cord and is a personal favourite
9: Icicle Hitch (Learn to tie a knot that will hold secure and is adjustable like the Prussik, only this one can do it on a taper!

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Zepplin bend is probably my favourite bend at the minute. Not the one I use most often, but it's a nice knot.

Simon - I notice you tie the truckers hitch in a different way to me. I take the working end around the anchor before forming the bight - that way there's less messing around keeping the bight open.

However you tie it, it's a great knot. I prefer it to using ratchet straps. :)

Reactions: scanker

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
I'd definately like to see the Falconers Knot, the only demonstrations I could find online where really naff.
Looking forward to more knots, perhaps BCUK will make a video archive so that you and other people can put videos on hereto go along with tutorials e.t.c.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I use the 'lightermans hitch, sheet bend, rolling hitch and dolly' quite often.
Thanks for the link.
Swyn.

PS. Just discovered my browser will not open this :(

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
It,s good to see so much interest being taken ,in knots.

Been doing it for a long time but theres always something to re-learn and puzzle through . Snug hitch "sports" are my flavour of this week.

Presently revising some needle hitching and herringboning variations, not that they,ve much application beyond the decorative...still and all, theyre an excuse to pad out the ditty bag with yet more ,"fancied", small containers and cases full of tying kit.

Then, of course, I will need to make a larger ditty bag!

The way things are going, with the needle hitching I,ll be needing a new pair of specs. Oh , and yet more cord. :lmao:

Ceeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE