kids bow & bowstring what to use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seabeggar

Jan 9, 2008
Highlands
Looking at a little weekend project for the lads. We can cut some nice lengths of coppiced hazel for some toy bows, but what would be good for the bow string?? Any thoughts or advice??

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Rawhide can work if its stretched, I've made up flemish reverse twisted strings from Linen thread and the polyester thread used to stitch paper potoato sacks closed (worked very well but needs a lot of stretching), and for kids bamboo bundle bows I've made simple flemish reverse twisted strinsg from cotton parcel string.

Silk thread will work too.

Andy

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Last bow i made for the kids i used some kite string as it was to hand
There was no complaints from the kids and it semed to work well enough.

There parents did call me the name of a popular tv series presenter most of the weekend but then again they did offer us more than enough in return

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I would go with the linen if you can find it. I got some good Barbour linen thread at a local market some years ago and it is excellent. Don't want too much stretch. I guess on kids' bows the problem with rawhide being bulky for its strength isn't a problem. As I understand it, on full power bows, the string becomes too thick for using a nomal nock leading to the use of a pinch grip on the draw.

Linen, waxed and reverse twisted makes a nice project, good for learning the process of cordage making, without being too difficult.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I would go with the linen if you can find it. I got some good Barbour linen thread at a local market some years ago and it is excellent. Don't want too much stretch. I guess on kids' bows the problem with rawhide being bulky for its strength isn't a problem. As I understand it, on full power bows, the string becomes too thick for using a nomal nock leading to the use of a pinch grip on the draw.

Linen, waxed and reverse twisted makes a nice project, good for learning the process of cordage making, without being too difficult.

I will second linnen thread ;) I have tried all sorts of synthetic alternitives all useless. After that just buy a cheap string from quicks :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE