Keeping fire lighting kit dry ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Im thinking more along the lines of my fire lighting kit that im gonna keep on my person when out canoeing. Now, i dont intend on taking a dunkin, but if i do go in i want to be able to light a fire from my little kit that i have stashed in my BA.
What could i use to keep my fire lighting kit in, that would be water tight ?

Cheers,

Paul

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
simple dry bag?? couple of quid off amazon, just put the items in, magnetically sealed and then roll it down and clip, completely waterproof!

JohnH

Dec 12, 2008
Portsmouth
Ziplock bags. Cheap, cheerful and not failed me yet.

Supplementary to that, amend what is in your firelighting kit. All I carry are cotton wool balls covered in vaseline or coated in wax plus a flint/steel striker. The vaseline/wax keeps it waterproof and when I need to use them I break them open to reveal dry cotton wool in the middle. The vas/wax helps it to burn for far longer too.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Yup, I use a ziplock bag as well. And then put it in an old ex-issue de-contamination kit pot. And then put that in one of the side pouches of a Snugpak Response Pack (marvellous things - only recently discovered them).
Like JohnH, all my fire lighting kit comprises is some cotton wool and firesteel. Oh, and a box of Swan Vestas.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I use the old DeconTam boxes which are watertight and a cheap 35p plastic tub from Asda. Both do the job but the asda tub is bigger and you can fit a bit more in it. They're also pocket sized so you can carry them easily.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ziplock bags with cotton wool/vaseline and a K & M match safe for backup, if these fail I use half a pint of paraffin:)

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Use a ferro rod with a striker, have a knife to shavings and your good to wet or dry.
For a kit container, see pool or beach wares section of local stores, they have small water tight plastics boxes that should house all you needs and extras.

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
35mm film canisters work for me, I put them into the washing machine to prove the point to myself, bone dry but I added a length of cycle inner tube over the lid joint just to make sure. these will then fit into a BA pocket without really noticing them. Other wise I would use a simple dry bag.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I picked up a habit from Grooveski - using one of the extra small Exped drybags as a belt pouch for baccy and the like. Works for me, and I guess it works for him. But you still want something permanently in your BA, and a film canister full of vaselined cotton wool and a ferro rod is about the the best combo I know of.

Well..., these have worked pretty good so far...they are the cheap ones
Chickamauga&

Pelican makes some good quality containers that the kayakers around here use a lot for their cell phones and such, a bit pricier but if it saves your life I'd think it worth it eh?
http://www.rockcreek.com/products/listing/item3937.asp

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
This may be a dumb question, but what is your firelighting kit?

I tend to carry;

a turboflame lighter
watertight case of water resistant matches
LMF Army firesteel and a couple of cheap tampons (unopened of course!)

All in all these are quite waterproof in their own right. For everything else (in rucksack or belt pouch, if used) I use various sized Exped drybags. Other than my mobile and wallet pretty much everything I carry on my person is waterproof by its very nature.

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
Rather than zip lock bags I use the pour and store bags, the plastic is allot stronger and when you open the bag you can make it stand up like a bowl. Great for emergency water carrier as well and have increments on the side only a couple of quid for a box.

i think i got my last lot from either asda or tesco

here is a link to the web site (nothing to do with me)

http://www.polylina.co.uk/pour&store.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE