Just a thought.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
It sure is Jonathan.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54399

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54542

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53774

Should we ask for these adverts to be removed as they are not bushcrafty? Absolutely not, they are simply members of our community giving the wider community the opportunity of something that may be of use to them, before it is advertised to the world outside Bushcraft UK. That is simply all I was suggesting, if your company is about to advertise for a widget juggler, and it is appropriate to your position, why don’t we give each other a heads up – ‘ere chums, any widget jugglers out there, we need one.

I am simply advertising the power we have to help each other and hoping for a little of the community spirit, we've lost in the real world.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know, and I'm absolutely sure that John Fenna and company will agree with me, it's who you know, and how they know of you, that makes the difference to the variety of work you get.

I don't think yours is a bad idea AJB, but I think it might need tailoring to fit onto a forum.

How about.......and we need to run this past Tony first........that people who so desire add something to their sig line, saying what they do. "Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor".......whatever, and if they are actively looking for work perhaps some sort of link to a page with a bio or a cv.

We already have the "About Me" that is much underused on the User CP, could that not in someway be more developed ?

I think I will flag this one for the Boss. The forum is a wide ranging network of people in every walk of life. Tony set it up as a social hub kind of thing; a place to keep in touch with folks he'd met doing bushcraft courses, and it kind of grew :D This is just another strand to that networking :)

cheers,
Mary

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
My profession was destroyed by Thatcher’s government and the digital revolution. After reinvention I was screwed by a crooked business partner. After reinvention, global credit crunch did for me. I can only assume once I find my next direction, we should all expect Klingon invasion!

When the Kligons come, you'll need one of these:

tbt010.jpg

You'll fit right in! ;)

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
AJB, my Granddaughter is part way through a law degree at university and is coming up to what the youngsters call a "Gap Year" is that correct? ( 5 years Secondary Modern me...just..:lmao:) She's been looking at working as a civilian with Scenes of Crime Forensic for a while. By sheer coincidence she mentioned forensic photographic departments were often looking for mature, skilled people, previous 'service' I suspect would not be unwelcome. Give your local Police HQ a look. Might be worth a try? Good luck mate. :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The Klingons would mock that knife. I'm waiting for MartinK9 to commission Alan Wood to knock him up one of these...

Batleth-Group.jpg

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Thanks Wicca,

As it happens one of the UK's biggest centres is about 3 miles from me, they're not interested, always saying you need to go and get their specific qualification first, 3 years in Newcastle I think, but my memory of it is fading - I'm not really in a position to invest in myself like that on the off chance of being able to apply for dead man’s shoes jobs. But yes, I would have loved it and you would have thought some of the things I know about would have some value to them! HR! One of my mates who got the boot too ended up as a SOC Phot in the Met, but his dad was a Super Chief Phot in the MoD and pulled strings.

I used to do a lot of work for Surrey forensic Dept when I was with the MoD we had one of only 3 or 4 periphery cameras ever made (as I understand it although it was our second as we wore one out!)! It was great, cost thousands to be built and it went in a skip when I was made redundant!

grantdan

Forager
Feb 5, 2010
South Wales Valleys
i can sympathise with everybody thats been hit by redundancy through the times. im only 24 and have 3 professional qualifications in different fields of work due to lack of wack in different fields. its not a nice feeling being out of work.

if anybody is in the south wales area, iv been told theres going to be an MOD base built soon which will produce tanks, but thats in the not so distant future, might be worth a look?

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
There could be some foundation for that rumour Grantdan. I read that an American company had won the contract to supply the new light fighting vehicles for the British Army, but that production would take place in the UK.
Fingers crossed then for those needing work. :)

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
hey guys
i have been in the forces, worked on oil rigs and built wind turbines as a level 3 nvq engineer. at the top of the game i earned 18quid perhour, on 16 hour days minimum + expenses. i got laid off on the first day back after xmas 2008. i then spent over nine months looking for work, getting paid minimum wage in any crap i could do, including packing food in a warehouse on nites for less than 30quid. i earned less than 5k in 12 months.
now, i work in a pi***** call center, staring out of the window wishing i was somewhere else.
however... i have used this time to start moving into what i really want to do. i volunteer any of my days off and spare time to to conservation work with various groups, getting knowledge for free and building a profile that will eventually, i hope, get me a piece of land i will manage and live off, working for others only when i want to.
it was hard at the time, still is tbh, but it made me realise how much crap i just didnt need. flash ray mears knife for 500 quid, that cud but 1 acre of woodland in places which wont sit in a drawer.
it was the best thing thats ever happened to me and from now on, everything means so much more.
good luck and DO keep trying, it will turn around or take a new path. you just wont expect it to lead you the way it does
mike

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
18 months of nothing then 4 job offers in a week - kind of doing 3 of them, busy, busy, busy!

Thanks for being my mates when I was skint.

Andy

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I think the idea of a skills-set section for those actively looking for work - or even looking to boost their income - is a great idea. Could have a separate "looking for xxx" - eg tree-surgeon too. Would be great to both support members, and not have to rely on pins in yellow-pages!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE