Iodine For Purification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Binxie

Tenderfoot
Years ago you used to be able to buy little vials of Iodine from chemists, I had looked a while back for a chemist that still sold them but I couldn't find one. In any case, my idea was to use it as a means for water purification whilst out and about as it would seem a much more economical way of doing it then paying for the tablets.

Has anyone had any experience of using straight Iodine? I know obviously to use it extremely sparingly.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
You can still get iodine tincture from most chemists, just don't tell them you want to purify water with it, they sell it for treating cuts and scrapes. Still works in water though!

Dave

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Just make sure you know what strength the Iodine is and how many drops to apply per litre.

IIRC a 2% solution of Iodine requires 3 drops per litre.
If it's going straight in your water bottle, make sure you give it a good slosh all around the mouth hole and screwcap too, then leave it to stand for half an hour. It tastes rather faintly of Laphroaig whisky.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
The EU has NOT banned Iodine for water purification.

The EU demands that any sales claims for drugs and chemicals are backed up by scientific proof under legislation known as REACH (not a bad thing in my opinion). No supplier/manufacturer will pay for the necessary documentation for Iodine as a purifier as it is expensive to obtain and the market is small. Also once documented any other supplier may piggyback on that proof and sell in competition. It is just not worth it with such a simple, long standing product, there is more money to be made in propitiatory or patented purifying chemicals.

No proof = No sales.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
well that is interesting that the EU has that sort of regulation - over here it is difficult to get iodine due to its use in illegal drug manufacturing (Methamphetamine, aka Meth)

Binxie

Tenderfoot
OK, so its still possible to get it for external use, that's OK then. If not I'l ask my missus to get some from the wholesaler for me (she is a vet.) If its impossible to get it from Chemists anymore I could possibly offer it here on the site if I can bulk buy.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
It will come to the US eventually I suspect.

REACH, the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals is an extension of RoHS, the Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances which has been adopted over most of the world including the US, and you know how these things spread.

Both sets of regulations are reasonable but complex, so expensive for companies to implement but REACH should ensure that things like asbestos and thalidomide never get adopted in the future but the cost to society is high.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/reach/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restriction_of_Hazardous_Substances_Directive

Willowisp

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2013
Reutlingen, Germany
Does anyone have an idea what happens if I use too many drops of iodine in my water? Overdose? Poisoning?
So far I have only used micropur, but am aware that several people prefer the idodine solution.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
well if you think there is too much iodine in the water just wait out the length of time needed to kill the micro organisms and then toss in some vitamin C to deactivate the iodine - it also makes the water taste better or so they say - note I don't use iodine so this is just other peoples opinions and passed on information

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I've come across warnings about the use of iodine for long periods (how long is long?) and in combination with some medication. There is also apparently a link between shellfish allergy and allergy to iodine. My wife is allergic to shellfish and the only time I have treated water with iodine, she had a reaction. Runs in the mountains takes on a whole new meaning!
When we were living in the tropics in an area with poor water supply we used chlorine over a long period with no ill effects.
One of my sons was taken very ill in Wales through drinking untreated lake water and I take water purification seriously. When out and about nowadays I use commerciallly available chlorine based tablets. It sometimes tastes like drinking from a swimming pool, but better than getting sick.

There is a lot of quality information on water treatment available: much of it on this site.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
You can still buy Iodine branded as 'Videne', most chemists can order it for you, i use it as a contact steriliser for my home brewing.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE