insect repellant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
I'm going to sweden in just under two weeks time to track bears and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good repellant. I know about the avon products and I'm waiting for the avon lady to get back to me but I fear she may be to late. :confused:

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
I would strongly suggest going into the nerest "Apoteket", ie. swedish farmacy and get a product there called "Myggan". It comes as a roll-on and is without doubt the best against mosquitos, midges and ticks. I spent one week up by the alps around Kebne and even though i had mossys swarming all over, they never bite down on the skin that had this applied.

Was very impressed with it.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I bought some stuff off evilbay called "biff 'em"
It works a treat but ruins plastic, you need to screw your eyes tight and if you have cut....... :eek:
I am sure the ecologically minded here will have a view but it does the business better than skin so soft.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
amott69 said:
I'm going to sweden in just under two weeks time to track bears and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good repellant. I know about the avon products and I'm waiting for the avon lady to get back to me but I fear she may be to late. :confused:

People living here, being out a great deal in the woods buy "Becks Olja" and "Djungle olja". We mix it 1 part to 2 parts djungle olja.

you get the stuff in gasolin stations, sport and fishing shops, or simply ask the people in the village you are going to. They can point you in the right direction.

Here is a link to the stuff too:
Becks

djungle olja

cheers
Abbe

Reactions: beachlover

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
I also find the Expedition 50 insect repellant that Millets sells is quite good and works on clothes and skin.

But, ive only used it in the UK, so cant comment on its effectiveness elsewhere etc.

Rgds

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I tried Skin-so-soft this weekend, bivvying near Ben Avon, and wan't terriby impressed.
However, I can't claim to have done a comparison with DEET, garlic or citronella; so this is only one subjective experience. It din't help that I was wearing dark clothing: I had far more than my fair share, compared to my two lighter-clad companions.

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
I too have tried Avon 'Skin so soft' and didn't think too much of it.
It doesn't seem to repel bugs so much as drown them in the oily film on your skin (you have to put plenty on). This worked ok (barely) for Scottish midges, but didn't seem to bother mossies at all. I also hate the oily feeling.

I've never been to Sweden, but while in Finnish Lapland a couple of years ago, I was eaten alive until I went to a Pharmacy and bought a local product - I'd go with local advice every time! :)

best
Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE