Smart meters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Not really bushcrafty but something most homes will be forced to have, and I've not had a moan for a while...

Anyway, I'm visiting my elderly mother again whilst she has a smart meter fitted as her provider bullied her into one.

Fitting was quick, fitter was nice and polite. But the in home display apparently can take 24hrs to start working. 24 hours later it isn't and the online help of 'turn in off and on' sounds more 1990s than smart. Still not working. I phoned up, nothing can be done remotely to fix so need another site which could be weeks away and I can see the new one not working.

I ask can you tell me if the meter is working, erm no, it takes two weeks to set up their end. Most annoyingly the smart meter has a blank display and you meter reading only flashes up for a second or two every minute. You can press some buttons but no instructions provided and my mum is not really up to standing on steps to press buttons.

I wasn't keen on the idea originally but I'm rather surprised at how unuserfriendly they are and how bad the installs are managed. I would have expected the installer to ensure every thing was working before they left, for proper instructions to be left on how to get a reading and a free phone number to be provided that goes to someone from the install team who actually knows something about how the meters work.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Write and complain....and copy it to your local newspaper and the local Council too.

At the very least they have left an elderly lady upset and stressed, and potentially a prelude to an accident.

Sounds like a financial scam to be honest though.

Reactions: benbee

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Do you mean a smart meter or a smart display unit ? After months of waiting, my smart meters now work perfectly. Unfortunately BG can’t supply me with a display unit as it won’t work with EON meters :biggrin:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The display unit is the thing that doesn't work and needs replacing and the actual smart meter is not usable by design, it is designed to not show the units used. Hopefully that works (I've had to google what the flashing lights mean) but will not know for a couple of weeks.

I've tried raising a complaint about the service but the actual products seemed to be designed to not be that usable so little I can do. I can understand a bit more why so many dislike them. They could and should be more usable. I.e. to get the meter to display you have to press the 'B' on the 12 digit keypad but there's nothing to tell you this.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I got one fitted a few months ago because my supplier offered me an incentive in that they would credit £100 onto my energy account. They did this a few days after the fitting.

The fitter came and went through everything, electricity is "real time" but gas has an hour lag on the usage. The display unit worked for about a week, and hasn't worked since but I can use the app to look back at daily energy usage. When I have an hour to wait on hold on the phone I'll ring my supplier to see if they can sort the display unit, but I'm not very hopeful.

When the install was done, the engineer did say that the energy company gets an £800 payment from the government for every customer that they fit a smart meter for, quite ridiculous really! Puts my £100 to shame

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Those meters that display your usage can easily be fitted without a Smart Meter. The only practical benefit of a Smart Meter for the consumer is not having to occasionally submit readings. Personally I don't want one
I’ve refused one despite constant pressure from my provider.

If I’m using a light or appliance it’s because I need to! The idea of watching the money disappear doesn’t appeal.

The companies benefit massively but not the consumer

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
I’m not sure the companies ever wanted the hassle of it. Wasn’t it Europe making our government do it ?
Anyhow, I don’t have a display .. but I like the meters as I never have to do readings. Can’t see the problem myself ?

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I’m having one fitted next month. Did not really want one but the old meter/s are spinning dial ones and have to be replaced due to the age. I’m not convinced the gas meter will connect to the electric meter because it is too far way for the connection to work so expect it will be an expensive dumb meter. I’ve resisted for years but some of the better deals are dependent on having one.
I’m not having the indoor display on. They are ugly things.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, but I doubt the companies would be pushing it if there wasn't money in it for them....at the end of the day one has to wonder, just who is paying for this though ......

Reactions: gibson 175

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Customers obviously pay in the end. But without the government pushing it wouldn’t have happened.
Have to admit though it’s easier than having to constantly send readings and hasn’t affected my bill at all.
I think there was just the usual conspiracy hype as usual.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I went off grid and sourced all my own power. I want to be in charge of pressing the buttons, not them. The same goes for food, water . That's why I got into bush craft. I am not knocking what anyone else does. It's just not for me and I feel better and more empowered as a result.

Reactions: benbee

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
Yeah, but I doubt the companies would be pushing it if there wasn't money in it for them....at the end of the day one has to wonder, just who is paying for this though ......

They said when the started the process that consumers would pay. They also said we would make massive savings - I think in realty most people save hardly anything with a smart meter.

Reactions: gibson 175

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I was told by a fitter when I chatted to him while he was fitting my nice next door neighbours one, "don't bother, they are crap and a waste of time.".. that's the guy who was fitting them!.I don't have one, and refuse to, despite pressure. They can cut me off first!
I have oil lamps, and a camping stove, solar pannel and a little jackery, so I'd manage fine.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
Customers obviously pay in the end. But without the government pushing it wouldn’t have happened.
Have to admit though it’s easier than having to constantly send readings and hasn’t affected my bill at all.
I think there was just the usual conspiracy hype as usual.
How often do you send readings? I opted for daily as start - unless they let me have cheaper electric off peak.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Like many things they have their pros and cons. My mum was struggling to read the old meter so a working smart meter will be good for her.

It's annoying though that the company she uses hasn't done a good job and hasn't been clear about the process.

Looking into it a bit more it seems the in home display unit doesn't show the meter reading at all - does that sound right. If so I can't understand the meter not showing the units either, it's almost as if they don't want you seeing what you've used...

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
How often do you send readings? I opted for daily as start - unless they let me have cheaper electric off peak.
How do you set that up, that's another thing we've not been told about. I assumed they were sent every hour or so and haven't been told we can change anything.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
How do you set that up, that's another thing we've not been told about. I assumed they were sent every hour or so and haven't been told we can change anything.
When I booked the appointment it had the options then. The hourly readings option was pre-ticked so I changed it. It also said it could be done later also through the app or by logging into the website- I’m with EDF.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
Like many things they have their pros and cons. My mum was struggling to read the old meter so a working smart meter will be good for her.

It's annoying though that the company she uses hasn't done a good job and hasn't been clear about the process.

Looking into it a bit more it seems the in home display unit doesn't show the meter reading at all - does that sound right. If so I can't understand the meter not showing the units either, it's almost as if they don't want you seeing what you've used...
It does. My mums only shows what you are using in £ and KWh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE