Improvised anvils

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
While trying out my new micro forge today, I managed to split the piece of granite countertop I've been using as an anvil :( split rather badly to the point of being unusable. Are there any suggestions (apart from the obvious buy an anvil) to things I could use as such? 2 reasons wanting to improvise one, anyone that knows me knows I like to make as much of my gear as possible and upcycle things otherwise overlooked. And 2 while my dear Steph is a very understanding woman I can't see her being too happy about me plonking a cast anvil in the garden.
Ideally something smallish so it can live in or behind the shed.
Any smiths, farriers or hobbyists like me out there that I could glean this information from I will be ever grateful.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Sledge hammer or a mel head into concrete in a bucket!!! Something like than. Keeps the ringing down I would think. Cobblers last into bucket of concrete?

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
Do you know some one who works for the railway system? A chunk of rail about 12" long or more would be nice.
Or check the scrap yards or construction sited for a piece of I or H beam.
Gook luck.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I bought this house back in 2000. Out in the lean-to, behind the big garden shed, I found 2 x 14" bits of railroad track.
Anvils? YES! However, I would really like to have one of them with a flat top. That would be useful.
In the meantime, they serve well as extra weights for various wood glue-ups and as added muscle for my trebuchet.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Thanks for weighing in guys. Setting iron into concrete and Hbar / railway line are both good ideas actually. Its a shame the granite broke it was ideal really!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Granite was always going to split though.

Years ago I was training as a welder in Workington and regularly walked past the rail head hardening plant, one day I ambled to the door and asked a bloke in a boilersuit if I could have a bit of line scrap.
"Aye, lad there you go" was the reply and I got about 18 inches of their 110Lb per yard railway line.
My amble in was followed by a bit more of a stagger out with it on my shoulder.

Its not the best thing to use but it takes a reasonable beating.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My track pieces are most bash-worthy with 2lb hammers.
Got some 1/4" copper rods so have beaten out a few "chalcolithic" blades.
20 degree edges, just fine for any kitchen work!
Have some 1/4" x 2" copper to bang out a couple of adze blades, too.
Like 10,000 years ago, here in the Pacific Northwest.

Exhausting work = I get to hit the copper exactly twice to get movement. #3 is on work hardened surface, torch again!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd be wary of using copper on your food - I always believed this was a very toxic material to use on food?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
As a medical man, I have seen wilkinsons disorder, genetic, or copper poisoning not genetic once in my time outside of textbooks. The vast majority of your water comes though copper (with lead, tin and antimony alloys for a start) it's nothing to worry about. You research the cumulative effects of chromium and it's salts on the human body and protein structure you'll never eat off stainless again

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have no plans to wallow in it. As a micronutrient, it explains why most clean water inlet pipes are copper. They are occulded with mineral deposits quite rapidly
so any notion of copper "poisoning" isn't in this argument.
I intend to explore the use of work-hardened copper blades.
Did you know that there are deposits of copper metal all over North America? Some with copper nuggets bigger than Grand Pianos (Isle Royale/Michigan.)?
The nodules in Alaska river gravels vary from pea to cherry size.
Personally, I can believe that adze blades made from BC nephrite jade are and were far, far tougher than anything bashed out of copper.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
You can buy small anvils, I have one with a 4x6 flat face with the horn on the fron which is bolted end on to a log, works well for me and can be picked up easily.

go to a decent hardware store and ask, mine is made by draper.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Managed to scavenge a piece of inch plate. Intending to bolt it to some wood, perhaps weld an unloved axe head onto the side for cutting off. Now I just need something to use as a horn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE