I'm now a goretex convert, here's why!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Ever since the rainy annual camp I went on as a young Cadet in which is got soaked through with sweat while wering a "waterproof" British army issue jacket and trousers I immediately developed an aversion to modern fabrics and in particular goretex. This only got reinforced from reading all the negative comments that echo my childhood experience, so I quickly parted the small fortune and became a fan of ventile and wool and subscribed to the water managment philosophy where you expect to get wet, but try your best to avoid getting soaked through, thinking it was the only practical way there is.

Last week while browsing the local charity shop I came accross a brand new British army issue MVP combat jacket liner NSN: 8415-99-869-2235 which is a thin lightweight single layer goretex pocketless jacket with fully taped seams and a hood so vast that you can barely see infront of you when it's pulled over your head!

For £5 I thought it was a low-risk experiment to give goretex another chance and today in Nottingham it's been torrential rain all day so I donned my new Goretex jacket as well as the 5.11 rain pants I bought years ago when the 5.11 tactical gear was going for peanuts on the m&m direct online shop, mounted my bicycle and went for a 5 miles ride and to my delight I was both completely dry at the end of the ride and did not feel clammy or sweaty even when pedalling hard.

Needless to say I am now a fan of goretex and I reckon what I wore in the cadets was the old pre soldier 95 plastic garb rather than the newer MVP (groetex) stuff.

R

rob.wakelin

The really strange thing is, your jacket won't melt or burst into flames when near a fire...unless one of your fellow campers is an annoying irk who pokes at the fire all night.

That said, if near a fire why are you wearing Goretex.

Good sensible post chap.

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
Theres no comparison between regular PVC raingear and Gore-Tex.

That being said Gore-Tex has some limits and is far from a miracle garment. If you are aware of those limits, then Gore-Tex clothing is a valuable addition to your outdoor clothes. Ive got 3 hardshells myshelf. 2 jackets and 1 set of pants.

Jackdaw

The latest issued waterproof jacket and trousers are so much better than the old "boil in the bag" waterproofs we were issued with when I first joined up. These were basically laminated plastic. When goretex was issued it came as a revelation to us all. You could wear waterproofs and not get just as wet as without wearing them!

Good price that.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I've never had a problem with Goretex

I have a Berghaus jacket i got in a sale for over 15 years. It has never let me down and now lives scrunched up in the bottom of my work rucksack in case the weather turns nasty. I replaced it with a Norrana one a few years back and both have given me faultless service, yes if it is warm and wet you can get a little damp inside but that would apply to any garment of that type.

After spending many years as a kid in "poundshop" waterproofs thanks to my non-outdoor type parents and getting soaked in rubbish gear i love the stuff!

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I am also a recent convert to gore tex, and I must say I am very impressed. I bought myself a set from Thistle Garments for general walking etc. as I wanted new but couldn't stretch to Berghuas prices for the style I wanted and am impressed with those, then I got to thinking I would quite like a set for work, I work as a self employed gardener. I bought a set from Fu Kit (Austrian Army Mountain Gore Tex) , they did have a small repair to the pocket but it was well done, I reproofed them with Nikwax and they are fab the water just beads off and are highly breathable, tested them on a three day hike.

With the current monsoon we are experiencing sales of goretex must be doing rather well.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The hoods on squaddies jackets are massive, I think they are designed to be worn over the helmets.

As it is, they fit over my workmans hard hat which can be a bonus when its lashing down at work.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Blacks have got the Berghuas jackets on offer at £50 right now; I bought one at the weekend.

I had a look at one of these today but it wasn't Gore Tex; it was something similar. The Gore Tex version is considerably more expensive, unfortunately.

Does anyone have experience between Gore Tex and other similar brands? The shop assistant told me they aren't as breathable and have a mesh inner, whatever that means.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
From a personal preferance I've found low alpine's triple point ceramic to be better. I found it much more breathable and not as stiff as goretex .... the price though i didn't like so much.

Ed

silentman

Feb 15, 2010
swansea
From a personal preferance I've found low alpine's triple point ceramic to be better. I found it much more breathable and not as stiff as goretex .... the price though i didn't like so much.

Ed
Ive got one of these, i think its called a forakker jacket ( spelling is prob wrong) it is superb and ive had it years. God bless TK Max i say.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Goretex, I'm kind of meh, it's not that great. When you are really working hard and really need that breathability, especially in wet conditions, I find that GT just isn't up to the task. What is, I hear you ask? :)

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I know this might sound stupid but I'm doing the Pennine Three Peaks challenge in a couple of weeks and based on current weather and experience of those parts I'm in a really quandary as to what to wear for waterproofing. On my feet I think I'll be okay. I bought a new pair of Scarpa Terra boots with a Goretex liner

http://www.scarpa.co.uk/trek/walking-trekking/terra-gtx-wmn/

(I know it's the women's shoe but it's the same bloody thing!)

And I bought a pair of gators, but do I buy a pair of Goretex trousers and a Goretex jacket or – controversial – take my army poncho?

I will take a lightweight mac for drizzle (it sufficed for much of the Pennine Way last year) and I know I'm going to be sweating no matter what I wear.

The plus for the poncho is that it is big and would slot over my rucksack and goes almost to the floor which would cancel the need for Goretex trousers; the minus is that it isn't breathable. Does anyone have any advice. Bear in mind it gets windy on those hills.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
If it's only for the day then don't spend the money! If you will get alot of use out of them (and have the money spare) then it 'may' be worth it. Personaly I'm a cheap skate and use what I have.

Ed

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Softshells are the answer to high activity stuff - I have a Rab one - wind resistant and quick drying, when working hard body heat dries it before you can wet out.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I love my wool and ventile layers.....but....I have owned for years some vaude alpinist eVent trousers. Nothing comes close imo. I've had gore, triple ceramic and spurious brands of 'breathable jackets, and if I was to buy a synthetic jkt, I would be looking firstly for eVent.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
On the bike, in the rain, at this time of year, I've found that one of these over a silk T-shirt works very well for me.

My only piece of gore-tex gear is my army bivi bag and that is beyond praise; far and away my best 'outdoor' purchase in recent years.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
After a detour of about half a dozen Ventile jackets and a couple of Paramos, I am firmly back with Goretex and eVent with breathable synthetics underneath. They are the only ones that keep me dry with reasonable breathability. They dry out quickly. They pack down small. They can be worn in warm wet conditions over a wicking tee. Other proprietary waterproof breathable membranes generally aren't breathable enough although most of them will keep you dry from the outside. I have never melted a hole in Goretex. If I am sitting by a roaring fire, I don't wear my jacket!

For short periods of high activity when you can dry off afterwards (running etc), softshells are good.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
On the bike, in the rain, at this time of year, I've found that one of these over a silk T-shirt works very well for me.

My only piece of gore-tex gear is my army bivi bag and that is beyond praise; far and away my best 'outdoor' purchase in recent years.

How is that so cheap!? Is it truly waterproof and breathable? If so it's a bargain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE