Illegal bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
While checking squirell hoppers recently I came across a very smart new bushcamp. Well constructed lean-to,lots of bracken bedding in fact all mod cons. A big fire pit and remains of the fire plus plastic litter. All this could be a plus for fellow bushcrafters,but sadly this is all on private land without permission :( Nearby last year there was a large bushfire which only stopped when it reached green grass (I wrote about that earlier in the year). Was this the work of the same people I thought? Perhaps a year on having done a course? They seem to have forgotten the first and last bit. The first bit is ASK. You maybe surprised at the answer (it will not be rude either!! :D ).The second is unless the camp is permanent leave NO indication of your being there.(particularly the fire pit and litter) :eek:. There is the shooting risk too. If we do not know where people are when off the public rights of way, (N.B. this includes 15 miles of permitted paths!)The consequences do not bear thinking of!!!!!!

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Sorry to hear about it m8. It's always sad when people who should know better (ie. being obviously trained or at least self-educated) misbehaves like this.

Lets hope the persons who did it does read this forum and learn something from it.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I think it would be silly to think all people involved in BC will be responsible. I also have come across debris shelters with the surroundings littered by empty beer cans only a few miles outside Exeter. The bottom line is that as the hobby becomes more popular, it will attract more undesirables.

I should add it is not just errant bushcrafters that cause problems, people who work in the forests also build similar shelters and leave their rubbish everywhere. As an example have a look at the forests between Newton St Cyres, Tedburn St Mary and Whitestone as these are particularly awful: these are commercial forests that are supposedly managed well, yet, I have found spilt oil, empty creosote containers, old rusty roles of barbed wire and other litter lying around.

On a lesser point, if you are shooting, the onus lay with the shooter to ensure a clear path. People use the countryside at all times to the day and night for legit purposes (badger watching, night bird calls, short cuts from/to the pub, hashing etc.) as well as illegit (illegal camping (either BC or due to homelessness), poaching etc).

Please do not think I am having a go at you, I also go shooting and have been pretty dissappointed by the complete lack of regard for either wildlife or safety shown by some fellow shooters in the UK.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I spent a few days alone in a remote woodland where no-one really goes, usually you don't see any litter. This time I found at least three camps in various stages of decay, the obligatory ring of stones with burnt cans in the bottom, plus rubbish throughout the woodland. Luckily I had two bin liners with me, so I spent a good four hours on my last day making everything OK again. It's worth us all carrying a couple of these around with us so we can keep going to these places. Problem is we all get tarred with the same brush as these wanna-be-squaddie types, and people are more reluctant to let us stay on their land because of it.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
P7perfect said:
Luckily I had two bin liners with me, so I spent a good four hours on my last day making everything OK again.

Great stuff. :) If only everyone was a consciencious as you.

Shepherd

Tenderfoot
I do a little geocacheing (more info at www.geocaching.com) and we regularly have cache-in-trash-out days where whilst enjoying the pastime we consciously collect and rubbish we may pass on the way.

There have been incredible changes to areas of woodland when a bunch of like minded people do a sweep with bags.

And as far as the beer-can issue goes, i have a simple answer. My bag contains a treasured hipflask of single malt. :D

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Bless you for picking up the rubbish! As for the shooting the fact that there may be someone lurking is always in the back of my mind. one of the main reasons that i only use an air rifle nowdays. there is still a risk but 100 meters is less than 1000 meters.I am mainly worried about the fire risk. in 1977 a fire travelled across a field here quicker than you could run, and did untold damage to the woodland.Having been at the scene as a young fellow it is not something i want to experience again. I think that there were something like 16 fire engines on site and the fire was breaking out for three or four days later as it had burrowed into the punky bits of old timber also into holes underground.In those days there were 6 men working in the woods and they lived on site, nowdays it is only me :eek: so the bushfire potential and in particular irresponsible lighting causes me great concern. The positive point is that responsible people could be welcome within certain areas,providing that they introduce themselves and are prepared to use good practices. The last thing I would want to do is tarr every practicing bushcrafter,experienced or not, with the same brush ;) I must admit that some forestry contractors leave the most amazing amounts of rubbish and here i must stress........some!!

Beakytzw

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2005
where ever the military send me!
Shep, not been geocaching in a long time. Best fun I had for a while trapsing thru woodlands and wide open fields only for your batteries to run out and find that your daughter left your pouch open and you lost your spares :(

j.roberts7

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2005
greg2935 said:
I think it would be silly to think all people involved in BC will be responsible. I also have come across debris shelters with the surroundings littered by empty beer cans only a few miles outside Exeter. The bottom line is that as the hobby becomes more popular, it will attract more undesirables.

I should add it is not just errant bushcrafters that cause problems, people who work in the forests also build similar shelters and leave their rubbish everywhere. As an example have a look at the forests between Newton St Cyres, Tedburn St Mary and Whitestone as these are particularly awful: these are commercial forests that are supposedly managed well, yet, I have found spilt oil, empty creosote containers, old rusty roles of barbed wire and other litter lying around.

On a lesser point, if you are shooting, the onus lay with the shooter to ensure a clear path. People use the countryside at all times to the day and night for legit purposes (badger watching, night bird calls, short cuts from/to the pub, hashing etc.) as well as illegit (illegal camping (either BC or due to homelessness), poaching etc).

Please do not think I am having a go at you, I also go shooting and have been pretty dissappointed by the complete lack of regard for either wildlife or safety shown by some fellow shooters in the UK.

yep i live in the crediton area and often walk around here though not camp, see lots of rubbish left about its very upsetting as it spoils the feeling of being outdoors

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE