I just cant seam to do it.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Make stuff on my sewing machine without stitching something inside out. I had a very soft suede jacket that was crying out to me to be made into a possibles pouch. The inside was a lovely shiney leather so my plan was to have the inside on the outside..(More waterproof) was my thinking..

Anyway, I cut up the jacket and made myself a pattern, just a quick roughed out drawing on some cardboard. I then cut out the leather and proceeded to stitch it up...

The Leather was cut into four sections..1x front and 1x back, 1x side and 1x top extension...I stitch on the front to the side then realise i have stitched the suede side to the leather side...No big deal i can get away with a suede side, it will give the pouch some definition. I then stitch the back to the side so now i have shiney leather front and back with suede sides, and it looks really good.. now onto the top extension.

And that's when it all goes pair shaped. I checked and double checked that i was sewing it on correctly but when finished and i turned the damn thing inside out i had stitched the top extension on the wrong way exposing all the inside seams to the outside.

I did the same with a Bushshirt i was making and just gave up after making the same mistake three times on the hood and collar. Frustrated!! :cussing:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I sometimes use chalk to mark the sides/edges when Im assembling an item, but its pretty annoying when it happens!

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
we've all done it trust me!

The worst time for making a mistake for me is the morning, as it can taint the rest of the day when you have a lot of work on. So I just stop, go out for a walk or make a brew, then come back fresh and start again.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Great advice Dreadhead, it goes for anyone making anything, that breathing space tends to help.

I still have a half made right handed sheath that became a lefty despite my numerous checks! :aargh4: We all get that brain fart moment but it does teach us something in the long term, I think, my axe mask worked out okay except I tried to rivet it on the clasp side to start with....:lmao:
Keep at it, you will win.

Rob.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
ok, here's how i got around it...Cut a strip of leather and stitched it up like so. here's the off-cut.
strip_zpsbepqjhm2.jpg

Added the strip to the pouch to cover up the centre seam leaving a void for the leather cord thingy to go into. tidied up some of the seams. Jobs a good un..

pouch_zpsjdvuhfxu.jpg

puch4_zps6sqtf4zv.jpg

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I always pin or tack projects to make sure it all fits etc always help me visualize it too. BTW you should see the number of left handed knife sheaths I've made.... unintentionally!! ;)

cheers

Alan

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
we've all done it trust me!

The worst time for making a mistake for me is the morning, as it can taint the rest of the day when you have a lot of work on. So I just stop, go out for a walk or make a brew, then come back fresh and start again.
Some people go for a walk, some make a brew. I choose to rant on the internet.:lmao:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
nobody said it doesn't work haha. Nice fix by the way. I've always loved the saying "We all make mistakes, a true craftsman just knows how to fix them" or something along those lines!
Cheers man, it is what it is, a bag rattled off in an hour. Nothing like the pouches you produce. They are pretty awesome.

When i have some spare spondoolies i'll be after one of your sporrans.

The pouch i made fits over my head nicely BTW. A hole here and a couple of slits there and i'm seriously thinking of breaking into the Bondage/SM or Horror market....Leatherface :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If at first you don't succeed….lay it down and never heed.
or there's always the other adage,
If at first you don't succeed, try the boot and then the heid……:rolleyes:

We all do it corry fisted at times, just away do something else for a bit and come back at it and fix it.

M

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
If at first you don't succeed….lay it down and never heed.
or there's always the other adage,
If at first you don't succeed, try the boot and then the heid……:rolleyes:

We all do it corry fisted at times, just away do something else for a bit and come back at it and fix it.

M
The main problem was that i had triple stitched everything. I seriously couldn't be bothered trying to take out all the stitches...anyway, it ended up ok once i had my rant and six fags.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
nobody said it doesn't work haha. Nice fix by the way. I've always loved the saying "We all make mistakes, a true craftsman just knows how to fix them" or something along those lines!

"Hide" not "Fix" :)
I have had several projects end by being hurled into the bin ... though that happens less and less over the years :)

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Cheers man, it is what it is, a bag rattled off in an hour. Nothing like the pouches you produce. They are pretty awesome.

When i have some spare spondoolies i'll be after one of your sporrans.

The pouch i made fits over my head nicely BTW. A hole here and a couple of slits there and i'm seriously thinking of breaking into the Bondage/SM or Horror market....Leatherface :lmao:

Thanks ;) sounds like you've definitely caught the leatherworking bug though!

"Hide" not "Fix" :)
I have had several projects end by being hurled into the bin ... though that happens less and less over the years :)

My bad, hide would be more appropriate you're right. Aye, theres always a few that go in the bin!

No, no, no…..it's not a mistake…..it's a Design Feature ! :D

M

haha aye, do something you didn't mean to...next best thing is to do it 10 more times so it looks like a pretty pattern ;)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I've had similar nightmares when trying to use our sewing machine... my wife has promised to teach me when she has time because there is all sorts I want to have a go at. My fear isn't about making a mistake with the cloth/leather... its breaking the machine itself, it was my wife's Grandma's machine... not something I want to be breaking.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Just a thought though... shouldn't the title be... I just cant seam to do it :confused:

:eek: I'll get me coat...

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Don't feel bad = at the very worst, you can pick out the stitching. Wood carving doesn't work like that when I realize that I've gone too far for the form I want to see.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE