Hypothermia - very good article

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
an excellent article! i recognise a couple of issues i generally have when walking, i walk HOT too many layers and i really heat up and sweat which means when i stop all the heat is literally sucked out of me, i always layer my clothing so if i need to when walking i can remove items so i don't sweat, then when i stop i can pack them on and retain the wonderful heat i've generated whilst walking.

never experienced Hypothermia yet, and i plan not to with the aid of this article!

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Whilst that is generally useful advice regarding signs, one cannot go by temperature alone.

For instance I have just got indoors, I feel warm, I am sweating, and my temperature is 35.2 which is not unusual for me, and I've seen it a lot lower than that. Ok may not be exactly my core temperature since I haven't shoved it where the sun doesn't shine, but nonetheless if I get up to 37 then I have a fever. It's something that runs in the family, that is to say individual temperature can vary to the extent that two degrees of hypothermia is effectively wiped out by the variation *in the abscence of other clinical signs*.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
This is an excellent link to good current and accurate information by the writer. Brilliant find mate.
May I suggest this becomes a sticky in the first aid/medical section. This kind of information is vital for folks to know especially in the current weather conditions.
Cheers for sharing.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
an excellent article! i recognise a couple of issues i generally have when walking, i walk HOT too many layers and i really heat up and sweat which means when i stop all the heat is literally sucked out of me, i always layer my clothing so if i need to when walking i can remove items so i don't sweat, then when i stop i can pack them on and retain the wonderful heat i've generated whilst walking.

never experienced Hypothermia yet, and i plan not to with the aid of this article!

We must have been separated at birth - I overheat like heck whenever I'm walking too. I always start out with too many layers and within half an hour I'm down to a T-shirt, no matter what the weather!
Great article with loads of terrific tips. It's possible to subscribe to Paul's excellent blog so you get an email alert whenever he's posted a new article. Highly recommended.
Steve

Andy80F

Jun 30, 2010
Poole, Dorset
Appart from the rather confusing use of the 0 in the centigrade temps, the "This represents a 2oC (3.6oF) drop from normal body core temperature." should be 2 degree C not 20 but I think the degree symbol is at fault, this was a very nice article. During the last snowfalls (last week) had a 27C and 24C hypothermia patients in the same morning. The recovery process is very, very tricky and resource intensive.

Andy80F

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Very interesting read.
As I'm always feeling the cold, I have recently been taking my body temperature which happens to be 36C with my 100% Marino wool thermals on,
plus winter lined socks, plus heavyweight moleskin trousers, plus a very heavyweight winter shirt and Thermal Beeny, and sheepskin moccasins.
Taking a morning temperature within 10 minutes of getting up is anywhere 34.4C to 35.8C.
Those are all taken without leaving the house. :campfire:
I have been to the quack but as yet have had no treatment.
Going back to ask what the heck is going on.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Very interesting read.

I have been to the quack but as yet have had no treatment.
Going back to ask what the heck is going on.

Probably nothing. 37 degrees is only an average, some run lower, some higher. My family runs low. Thing is when I am active I generate heat very quickly, doesn't take a lot to bring me out in a sweat, but when I am doing nothing I feel the cold.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE