How to ripen mangoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Try sealing them in a plastic bag with a banana. The ripening banana will give off the usual ethylene gas which promotes ripening in other fruit (normal).
I read that mangoes for chutneys are not the same varieties offered for eating fresh. That they never soften up.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
If you cant get a banana Tengu just try popping it in a sealed brown paper pag on a warm sunny window sor a day or two. Should soften it up.
So saying easier to process when hard and if you pop it in the oven, or the chutney making process, both will caremalise the sugars and soften it up. A little firmness in chutney can be nice.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

i presume you got your mangoes from a shop rather then directly of a tree? just a word of warning: unripe mangos contain a milky-white liquid which can spray over 5ft high when the stem is cut/broken of-- this liquid causes skin burns and some people are allergic to it. make sure you do not get it into your eyes....

according to the internet placing the mango in a bowl of uncooked rice overnight also helps them to ripen faster.... never tried it myself- i can handle them without problems but i cannot eat them...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE