how do you use your bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I fish and camp a lot and have done since i was a kid. I dont even think of it as bushcraft...I just do stuff in the woods.
Friction fire eludes me only because i've never found myself in a position with a necessity to try it.I might get round to it at some point but for now it's cotton balls soaked in vasaline and a ferro rod or a lighter and cotton balls.

I aint no Bushman, but i can survive in the sticks better than 99% of the people i know. Must be doing something right.

To me its a few things It's a hobby that gives me enjoyment, similar to what a football fan gets from watching football, except I actually partake in my hobby rather than watching others do kt and then trying to tell the world how they should have done it.

It's practicing survival skills, skills that i hope me and my kids never have to put to use, but we'd be very glad we had should we ever need them.

It's keeping traditional skills alive, and make me a provider rather than a consumer

It offers me an opportunity to bond with my kids.

for the most part its free

and it helps me continually better myself by never stop learning

Brynglas

For me bushcraft is primarily a method of keeping me comfortable outdoors. Over the years I've spent a lot of time in a variety of extremely hot, cold and temperate environments and I've managed to remain reasonably well fed and watered with minimal impact upon the surrounding environment.

Nowadays I enjoy nature, getting out and about and nothing enhances that experience for me better than collecting edible food to prepare and eat.

For example, a beach trip with the kids on the west of Scotland earlier this week, prime quality mussels and some seaweed gathered, firewood collected and a fire lit on the beach upon which the shellfish were cooked. Afterwards, tea brewed before leaving for home. For me this is the essence of what I call bushcraft.

Last edited:
It enriches my life.

I'd say that's my best answer, too - no matter how "bushcraft" is defined. I've been retired for some years and so my life now centers around whatever I choose as hobbies. I guess there is the point that I only get to collect my wonderful pensions and spoil the great grand-kids so long as I keep breathing so there is virtue even to survival aspects. I'm lucky that I chose a great place to live for anyone interested in the outdoors, and when I vacation it's to see family in W Alberta which is pretty wild, too.
I was up in the mountains around Cadomin - east of Jasper Alberta (east slopes of Rockies), today with my grand-daughter and the great grand-kids. Even that out of the way place attracts tourists because of the spectacular scenery. Since I have a degree in geology, and know quite a bit of the plant life, I''m figuring that I saw a lot more in the scenery than most and that the learning was worth the effort. The kids had fun playing in the fresh air, and if they keep it up rather than settling for sedentary habits, they may get as old as me one day. Their mom spent her summers with me and grew up loving camping and outdoor stuff.
Lots of grandparents I know don't seem to have much fun with grand-kids, and that's sad, but my great grand-daughter has already booked me for taking her fishing. Now helping a kid get her first fish should be fun, and hopefully she'll be the next to come out to the coast and wrestle in some big ones. Then when my grandson gets back from his holiday in BC we'll be reloading rifle cartridges and getting him sorted with the .308 for hunting.

So overall, I would say that outdoor stuff has really enriched my life to a degree even I wonder at.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE