How do you draw a thorn out?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I have a thorn stuck in my thumb and it is painfull going to try and draw it with a poltise tonight what way do you prepare them ?

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
The only way I have seen it done is by mixing a piece of soap & sugar in to a paste, placing it on the the thorn and covering it with a plaster & leaving it. I saw it done on my cousin when he was younger when he fell in to some thorns and ended up with one in his cheek (face that is !). It worked.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....nowadays i just follow my grandfather who was a chippy's advice and just wait til it goes puss filled then squeeze and out pops the splinter with the puss.
and some rather blue words

me too, it usually takes a couple of days, so it's sore for a while, but in my experience doing it that way is a lot less painful and much quicker healing than trying to dig the things out

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i have stuck one on just bread soaked in boiling water soap and sugar held on with a large mepore bandaid ,it was a big thorn off a Berberis bush i tried fishing it out with tweasers but no joy.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Hyperdermic needle tip, is what the nurse used last time I had over a dozen sloe thorns in my hands :eek:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I'm in the dig-it-out-with-a-needle camp, but at least I know that you're not supposed to do it that way. :)

Of course I sterilize it with meths. :yikes:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
As most of the spelks I get are during work (carpenter) hours I usually use the closest sharp thing to hand.

Stanley knife it is then. Sometimes I have needle nose pliers to hand and if they manage to make it home while still in my body its a sharp knife point and tweezers.
Some of the worst ones are the tiny slivers of metal I get from plasterboard screws, hard to see and sometimes take a bit of digging out.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bread and dry mustard powder Gill mixed into a thick damp paste of putty consistency - cover in melolin and cling film and leave overnight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE