Horse hoof fungus.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I've had a strange development with some horses hoof fungus I liberated at the weekend. The amaduo later was very thick, so instead of the traditional way of 'peeling' it. I cut off the bottom spore part, and sliced layers of the amaduo off.

Now half was put on the window ledge to dry, the rest in a plastic bag with the intention of boiling (I forgot to do that).

The stuff that had dried by the window didn't smoulder or burn when scraped and fluffed.
However, the stuff in the bag had sweated and was covered in a white residue. I dried this on the window, and have just scraped and fluffed it up.

Wow. Took a spark from a ferro rod first time and smouldered into a great ember. The smell was wonderful.

Has anyone else tried processing it this way. It seems a far easier and cheaper way than boiling for 24 hours.

touched by nature

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's good stuff when you get it thick and corky like that, isn't it ? :D

When it goes mouldy with the white stuff, and doesn't get eaten by maggots, it does take a spark easily....usually the mould is a kind of blue/grey though :sigh: seems to keep it sodden wet longer for some reason.
I think the white helps break down the fungus somehow :dunno:
It would indeed be interesting to know why though.

Good amadou smells wonderful :D

cheers,
M

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
It's good stuff when you get it thick and corky like that, isn't it ? :D

When it goes mouldy with the white stuff, and doesn't get eaten by maggots, it does take a spark easily....usually the mould is a kind of blue/grey though :sigh: seems to keep it sodden wet longer for some reason.
I think the white helps break down the fungus somehow :dunno:
It would indeed be interesting to know why though.

Good amadou smells wonderful :D

cheers,
M

I've never tried it boiled for a day, I wonder how it'd compare to the dried sweated stuff.

Oh aye, it had a fantastic smell.

touched by nature

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Making it so that it ends up like chamois leather though is a fair bit of work.
That stuff looks as though it's been put through a wringer.....come to think on it, that's a good idea :D

cheers,
M

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Making it so that it ends up like chamois leather though is a fair bit of work.
That stuff looks as though it's been put through a wringer.....come to think on it, that's a good idea :D

cheers,
M

Nice. Think my dad's got an old mangle.

Wouldn't fancy selling it, next thing you'd know there'd be trees near us smashed to bits with people trying to get in on it.

touched by nature

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I discovered that the spore layer when dried out will smoulder very well from a fresnel lens.

Nature provides more than we will ever know or understand.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I just had no luck with Amadou taking a spark from a traditional steel, even a ferro rod struggled with a pile of Amadou fluff I once tried!! I tried the pre-prepared version available online and also Mary sent me a load of Hoof's in the raw but to almost no avail. I think I did eventually manage for a spark to take after wearing a large indent in my steel:aargh4: I was mostly trying the thin slice on the flint method, trying to catch the newly torn fluffy edge.

I eventually charred most of my Amadou and it takes a spark very easily although cotton char cloth still beats it for easiest lighting though the Amadou burns hotter.
Now I was gifted a piece of Chaga from a forum member and had much better luck that taking a spark. A small pile of fluff catches easily with no processing required and wow does that stuff smell great, natures incense:240:

I wonder how the folk of long ago managed with iron pyrites and their cool sparks?

Steve.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
See if you do put some through the mangle, I'll swap you for some hand worked chamois leathery like stuff next time I
make a batch :)
I'll get a bit in the post to you too Ateallthepies.
Not making any really soon though.

cheers,
Toddy

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
See if you do put some through the mangle, I'll swap you for some hand worked chamois leathery like stuff next time I
make a batch :)
I'll get a bit in the post to you too Ateallthepies.
Not making any really soon though.

cheers,
Toddy

Sorry Mary,
He doesn't have the mangle anymore. I have however processed some of the 'mouldy' stuff and used a rolling pin and flat end of a meat tenderiser.

I can send you a sheet of that see what you think.

Steve.

touched by nature

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you kindly :) but HWMBLT has reminded me that there's a big tub of it sitting in my greenhouse ....it was meant to be burnt to smoke a hide.

You might offer a wee bit to Ateallthepies though and let him try a bit that actually works :D I'm pretty sure I sent him raw stuff that needed work done to make it catch.

atb,
M

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Thank you kindly :) but HWMBLT has reminded me that there's a big tub of it sitting in my greenhouse ....it was meant to be burnt to smoke a hide.

You might offer a wee bit to Ateallthepies though and let him try a bit that actually works :D I'm pretty sure I sent him raw stuff that needed work done to make it catch.

atb,
M

No worries.

touched by nature

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Ah I see, If the mould gets mouldy then it could make better tinder? Maybe the white rot takes away some part of the fungus and leaves the ultra flammable behind like when charring occurs?

I still have some hoof's left to try this bag sweat method so will fire up the band saw and liberate some Amadou later, nothing beats a band-saw opening hard hoofs!!:naughty:

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE