Home experiment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
A couple of years ago, I constructed some pouches for my own use and amusement and since then, I,ve always dallied with the idea of trying out the hot wax technique of hardening leather.....not that they needed hardening, for I had made them all of thickish veg tan and strapping one to ones belt, was rather like having a small panel truck alongside.

So, I am in the process of making up another bunch of pouches, this time, from about 2 mill veg tan and I find that these are initially, just a bit too floppy.

Out with the beeswax and a small tin lid as a meltpot, I used the fan oven to do a short preheat of the leather and, the hob top for melting.........(Guess who,s missis is abroad)

I watched everything very carefully and applied the melted wax with a bit of stick, and bunged it back in the oven for just a few seconds to let it soak in. Repeated this sequence a couple of times and, glad to say, I got away with it and didnt produce a load of pork scratchings.

The 2mill hardened up quite a bit, though by no means rock solid, and gave a smashing lustre, once buffed up with the best dusters.

Probably not quite the way to do things but I was well chuffed.
The only disappointment was the lack of opportunity to create a lot of noise and mess.

Ceeg

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Sounds like a top job Ceeg! - can we have some piccies please ;)

The only disappointment was the lack of opportunity to create a lot of noise and mess.

You could always have dipped your fingers in the molten wax! - that would have acheived the desired result a treat I would think! :rolleyes: :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE