Hobo Stove!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've been asked a couple of times but I think half the fun is gathering all the bits together and making them yourself.

I wouldn't sell mine and I'd be hard pressed to make another with all the same stuff in it because there are some bits that I've collected over the years.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I agree Wayland, my stove is just that - MINE! (even though I did clone it from your website!)

Part of the interest in it was because of the bits and bobs inside it - Millbank bag, folding Ti spork, Ti meths burner, Boots brand travel bottles for condiments,etc, etc!

Simon

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
If they make money from it then good on em, if theres a market then they would be pretty stupid not to capitalise on it.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I attempted to make a small hobo stove I initially went too ambitious and tried to give it a double wall. anyway, I dont think Im strong enough to drill big enough holes in it, the fire kept going out. Ill maybe bring it along to the moot, Im sure some of you guys could point out whats wrong with it!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I attempted to make a small hobo stove I initially went too ambitious and tried to give it a double wall. anyway, I dont think Im strong enough to drill big enough holes in it, the fire kept going out. Ill maybe bring it along to the moot, Im sure some of you guys could point out whats wrong with it!

When I made one I had REAL problems drilling holes. So much so that I almost decided to sack the idea and continue cooking over a fire.
However.
Then I remembered I had a Dremel. So I put in the rotary disc cutter piece and, instead of drilling holes, I cut slots! The Dremel went through the thin stainless steel very nicely. There's nothing to say that a hobo stove has to have HOLES, instead SLOTS work just as well and are much easier to cut from stainless steel.
So give that a go instead.
(I'd post a picture of it, only I don't know how to put pictures into a message post)

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
I like the ebay stove but not at that price, from teh smaller picture it looks like the whole thing comes apart and is stored flat in its bag. Must try and find a more detailed picture so I can pinch a fwe ideas (what am I saying, I mean copy it) for my next stove!

Can anyone translate the text, I'll have a guess that it says "will boil 100 gallons of water in just 3 seconds" considering the flame thats coming out of the base!!

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Done a bit of looking and found the manufacturers web site http://www.fibistyle.ch/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=47 I want to make one of these now. Looks to be a decent quality.

I'm not sure there's enough ventilation to get air to the fire. The top looks like the cross pieces have notches which hold the four side sections in place but I can't figure out how the bottom pieces fit together yet. Off to find metal !!!!!

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
I see how they are doing it but I just don't have the tools to reproduce this.

I can see me signing up at nightschool in September to get access to the local high schools metalworking gear.

The hard bit will be curving those sides...

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Done a bit of looking and found the manufacturers web site http://www.fibistyle.ch/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=47 I want to make one of these now. Looks to be a decent quality.

I'm not sure there's enough ventilation to get air to the fire. The top looks like the cross pieces have notches which hold the four side sections in place but I can't figure out how the bottom pieces fit together yet. Off to find metal !!!!!

Mmm...yes, it is very impressive. My thought on seeing was, 'I want me one of them!' And then I started to think how I could make one. It's highest appeal, for me (and I suspect many others) is the fact that it can be disassembled and stowed away nicely.
But then I thought.
So what? You still have to take pots and cans etc. And, if you make your hobo stove correctly, the pots will fit inside the stove, or vice versa, anyway. Meaning that the hobo stove doesn't take up any more space than the actual pots themselves. Which you still have to take when you take your £100 odd quid stove with you. To whit - its one sepcial feature (being collapsible) is irrelevant.
Best of luck to them though. And if anyone would like to buy me one for my birthday then feel free. You could all have a whip round if you want...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE