Hobo stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
Hi all, not posted for a while.
I made a hobo stove from a hotdog can. For a pot i used a soup can, and this slotted inside with enough room for the heat to go up the side, plus the cans go in to each other, so less room. To support the can with water in, i use 2 tent pegs, and i put some holes in the side of the can for it. It works well and boils water pretty quick. I'm using one hex block, and wood (the wood here isnt too dry at the moment). I dont know how long it takes, i'd say about 5-10 mins, probably more 5 mins. I used another soup can to make a chimney for it, pictured here.
dscn2699mz1.th.jpg

I didnt take a picture with the water can in.
I did use another can to make a chimney, but instead of it being a straight tube, it had the lid on with some holes in, and 3 large slots round the top. The first chimney made the wood burn real fast, and made lots of heat, but the second one slowed it down, but still made alot of heat.
Why does the chimney seem to make a dfference? When i put it on the fire really picks up.:werd:

Cheers

Joe

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Why does the chimney seem to make a dfference? When i put it on the fire really picks up.:werd:

Cheers

Joe

Hey Joe,
Once the chinmey warms up, it causes the air within to rise, which has to be replaced by drawing in more air under the fuel - like blowing onto the fire it generates more heat. Which means there is a greater rising effect - which leads to even more air being drawn through the fuel - and so on. The effect can sometimes be felt if you are near to a roaring garden fire - you can feel a cold draught past your legs rushing into the fire to replace air that has been forced upward by the heat of the inferno.
Its a great way of starting a reluctant/damp open fire - use a small amount of dry wood in something like a "pringles" tube - it quickly gets a good heart of hot embers to help the fire become established.

ATB

Ogri the trog

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
yep, it makes a suction. The taller the column and the hotter it is the more suction occurs, which makes the fire hotter from more oxygen.

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
But the more oxygen the fire gets, the more fuel it will burn? So its a way of controlling a fire then.
Thanks for the information.

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
Pringles, hmmm, now i'm hungry.
Stupid question, but what is the chance of the pringles tube catching fire? I think that if it did, it would look pretty good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE