Hello from Oxford

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Greetings everyone!

I have decided that I want to get involved in bushcraft after the idea has lain pretty well dormant for the past 30 years or so. I got one of the very early copies of "Food For Free" one Christmas in my teens and had dreams of living off the land (not sure when the term bushcraft came in, but this is what I called it then) but I never did anything about it apart from trying the occasional hawthorn leaf.

A comment someone at work made, and the recent Ray Mears program, made me think that life is passing by and if I don't do something soon then I may never do it.

We visited the States in 2000 and I had the opportunity to be able to shoot and to help prepare a deer - which proved to me that I can kill and eat meat. I tried unsuccessfully to make a bow-drill about 5 years ago (I made it but couldn't get it to light anything).

I've been starting off in a small way over the past few weeks, trying to see what is available on walks from home and work - logging where plants are, trying to identify the edible ones from books. I made a dandelion salad from plants in my garden, and dug up some of their roots and am drying them to try making 'coffee'. I'm going to try some experimentation in my back garden with a bow-drill and hand-drill (hopefully the neighbours won't complain about smoke). And I found a cramp ball fungus growing on the side of my compost heap! I have made some short lengths of twisted cordage from dried plant leaves - my cat loves playing with this.

My main questions at this stage are:

1. I think I would like to go on a weekend bushcraft basics course - I've found quite a number of places in the UK that do these but recommendations would be useful.
2. How do you go about finding somewhere do 'do bushcraft'? There are plenty of local woods I can go to, and countryside walks, where I can find plants, materials and go on walks during the day but I suspect that I am restricted in what I can do in these places, but if I want to try living out overnight (e.g. building shelter /fires) then how do I go about finding somewhere?
3. Is there much going on in Oxfordshire? I saw that someone got into the Scout Site at Youlbury, but I suspect that he was a scout leader and, although I'd be happy to do some instruction once I learned what to do I don't want to be a scout leader.

Anyway, I'd better stop before I bore you all.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Geoff

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Welcome to BCUK.
Where abouts do you live in Oxford?
There are a few members I know of round here but I've only met up with a couple so far.
Wouldn't object to helping you out with the bow drill if you like, I did a similar thing with some of the guys at the Christmas moot.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Hi,

I live in London, so I know the problem of finding somewhere. The garden shed is my base. The back alley and rough end of the garden is good for some stuff. The local park has a lot of resources. There is a wood about half a mile away to visit. There are BushcraftUK activities to join up with through the year.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Thanks for the two offers (Bob and Jason) - I'm certainly interested.

Bob - if you are doing any meets round here, do let me know. Regarding bow drill, I'm going to have another go myself. No offence :) , but I want to have another try - I really enjoy experimenting so I want to see if I can do it by myself first. If /when I get stuck, I may well take you up on your kind offer.

Jason - what's the best way to check up on possible meets for your Bucks group? Is it via the Bucks thread in the Meetups forum? Also, where do you typically go - just curious to see how far I may need to travel.

Regarding buying kit - I suspect that the main thing I'd need to get going is a knfe - other threads suggest that the Frosts Mora would be a good one to start with. I've found it on both the Ray Mears site and at proadventure.co.uk. We've done a fair bit of camping so I already have sleeping bag / thermal mat and found my old army groundsheet /poncho from the '80's still in good condition. A little bit small for a tarp but would do at a push. I have a definite interest in 'natural' firestarting (bow drill, etc.) but I guess that a modern firesteel would be a good idea for a beginner (given that I'd prefer not to use matches /lighter if at all possible).

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE