Heat resistant handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm looking for something to make a heat resistant handle for my ghillie kettle.

Reason being when I suspend it over a fire by the wooden handle is getting burnt :rolleyes: as you can see from the picture

P2120345.jpg

I know I could let it burn away totally and just use the wire that's there but I prefer to have something that's easier to grip.

Any suggestions as to what I could use instead of the wood?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Steve,
Could you run a length of chain through the same handle holes so that the lifting handle hangs out of the way and cool for when you go to pick it up - it might not work if you use it over a fire like your photo though......

Thinking out loud!

Ogri the trog

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Could you run a length of chain through the same handle holes so that the lifting handle hangs out of the way and cool for when you go to pick it up - it might not work if you use it over a fire like your photo though......

I'd thought of doing that Pete but the problem with a separate suspension chain is then the handle hangs down the side near the fire and gets scorched that way... might take a bit longer to burn through but it'll happen eventually :)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
If it is going to get hot wherever it is whilst the KK is over a fire you might be as well just buying or making an oven mit.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
silicone putty in the shape of Sugru, then you can shape your own handle. http://sugru.com/

Interesting... but a bit pricey and I'm not sure it's withstand the heat we're looking at...

If it is going to get hot wherever it is whilst the KK is over a fire you might be as well just buying or making an oven mit.

It's not the fact it gets hot... I know that... what's the issue is the handle is burnt up which is why I want to replace it with something that won't burn away...

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
You can get glass fibre rope from plumbers merchants in varying thicknesses. Dead easy to wrap round but you'd need to find a way of stopping it shedding glass fibres after wrapping. Coating the rope with high temp silicone sealant should stop the fibres from breaking off and will stick the rope to the handle. Stove paint/high temp paint should seal the fibres and will stay stuck if you wrap it nice and tight.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It's not the fact it gets hot... I know that... what's the issue is the handle is burnt up which is why I want to replace it with something that won't burn away...

In that case you could get some stout wire, a vise and a piece of ¾" round bar, and fashion yourself a spiral wire handle similar to a vintage Tilley lamp...

tilleypl53.jpg

... and an oven mit.

I could send you a suitable piece of wire.

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'd thought of doing that Pete but the problem with a separate suspension chain is then the handle hangs down the side near the fire and gets scorched that way... might take a bit longer to burn through but it'll happen eventually :)

Well in that case - you need a removable handle - something that you can grasp the wire quickly yet provides a secure grip.

I'm thinking along the lines of a coiled wire handle with hooks at each end but I need to let it brew for a while longer.

Ogri the trog

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
You can get glass fibre rope from plumbers merchants in varying thicknesses. Dead easy to wrap round but you'd need to find a way of stopping it shedding glass fibres after wrapping. Coating the rope with high temp silicone sealant should stop the fibres from breaking off and will stick the rope to the handle. Stove paint/high temp paint should seal the fibres and will stay stuck if you wrap it nice and tight.

exactly the same answer i would use and have used, i used fibreglass fire rope with a tube of high temp silicon mastic over the top

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
The carbon felt is used to protect paintwork from blowtorches! And hasn't been damaged despite being used in an alcohol burner, so should stand up to a fire at that distance.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Hope you 've got a solution Steve.

That video by Hiram Cook is really good - I don't read every thread on here but glad I looked at this one!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE