headtorchs wots a good one

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I bought a headlamp from Hong Long on ebay a coule of years ago and liked it, has multiple LED's which you can bring up from 6-12-18 for different brightness settings. Then I saw that Energiser one in B&Q for a tenner last Christmas and nabbed that. It's smaller and has two brightness settings. I use mine mainly for work in those dark and awkward places (I'm a carpenter) However having followed the link to ebay redandshane posted above about those cree headlamps I just invested in THIS ONE for £3.48 you can't really complain at that price. I live out in the middle of the French country side, so having something that will cast some light is more beneficial than a soft gentle glow. This one does have various settings high medium and flashing. Once I get it I'll let you know how it performs, if anyone's interested of course.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

Golb

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2010
Belgium
www.golb.be
well my 5 year old just bought me the energizer one on ebay that will teach me to go to the loo and leave the laptop on lol im going to have to turn off the auto password to as she seems to have gone through paypal too lol DOH !!!!!!!!

I need to remember this excuses to tell my wife when I want stuff I don't need. "I was just looking, seriously, but junior pressed the button when I went to the loo"
:)

xander

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2011
bedford england
I need to remember this excuses to tell my wife when I want stuff I don't need. "I was just looking, seriously, but junior pressed the button when I went to the loo"
:)

this isn't the first time she's done this I was looking at snooker cue tips ones nipped out for a smoke and 5 days later a new white cue ball arrived lol

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I've got an Alpkit Gamma but I must admit that I'm not very impressed to be honest. I found that the button gets switched on inside pockets, using the battery up.

I tend to stick to Petzls, though I'm considering a Zebralight.

Claudiasboris

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I know someone who's kid ordered a caravan on her father's pc once. £25,000 on ebay and the seller tried to make him buy it too. Said it wasn't his fault so cough up the £25k!! Don't think he did cough up and doubt anyone could make you if its an accident like that. Still reckon it was brown trousers moment till it got sorted at that amount. At least a head torch you were looking at and a cue ball you could end up using aren't that bad.

I have a primus head torch and a new e-lite from petzl. I also have a Black Diamond one too. The BD one is one spot beam LED at 1.5, 2 or 3W (can't remember now) and three 0.5W LEDs for flood. Had it for years now and the whole thing just works well. Bright but also excellent on the battery life. Cost about £35 4 years ago though. 70 lumens main beam.

The Primus one was freebie but costed £50 two years ago. Well over 100 lumens on the single LED. It said on the packet on full setting (full, medium and low settings) it lights up to 125m but it doesn't. It lit up the opposite side of a gully one night enough to pick out detail and that was in excess of 500m!! It had a special LED at the time that was the most powerful out at the time. Was brighter than the best performing Petzl head lamp which cost "270 at the time too.

IIRC CREE is just a brand of LED AFAIK it is something to do with the lensed LEDs that make them bright for good power drain. They are only one of a fewe good brand LEDS that headlight makers use.

Also make sure headlights are regulated ones. IIRC they get better battery life, can use all types of battery and they are consistently bright until near the end. They dim a little when the batteries are close to finishing. This gives you a warning to change the batteries before lights out not after. Not fun changing batteries by feel. Worse changing maglite bulbs like that. HAd and old AA one and bulb went as I was getting into my tent after a pub night. So half cut (well fully cut TBH) I had to change the bulb in the dark. YOu can imagine how long it took me. Basically as long as it took me to sober up which was about an hour of cursing!!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The Energiser is a great bit of kit, been using one for about a year now.
I have been relatively happy with them in the past but they have their issues. The batteries dont seem to last very long and they kinda shine down into my eyes??, also not too bright not to mention the fact you have to cycle through all the BRIGHT levels to get to the red night vision saver :rolleyes:

Sorry to thread hijack but i like the Zebra lights and fenix stuff generaly but it doesnt seem to have a red night viz setting?

Last edited:

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I have a Black Diamond Icon 3 which is brilliant. It has a 3 watt led spot which is very bright and shines miles and 4 lower power leds for a more dispursed light both with 3 power settings and a flashing option on the lower power leds. Runs on 3 AAs which last ages. It really isn't cheap though. I think mine was £50 when I got it, but being on mountain rescue I spend a fair bit of time out in the hills in the dark, so for me I could justify the expense.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
My Alpkit Gamma has been excellent - if there is a problem with it , then Alpkit normally do their best to sort it out. I've never had a problem with the buttons coming on while in a pocket. Best £12.50 I've spent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE