headtorchs wots a good one

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
i bought the alpkit gamma...it broke when putting in batteries 12.50 didnt even get to use it

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
that's ashame to hear that as I've heard nothing but good things about the Gamma. I tohught the Alpkit gamma is one of those items of kit where the quality is top notch and the price is a steal... like the Mora.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
the alpkit gamma is a good headlight but it was a small peice of metal that touches the batteries broke off so it dosent work anymore...i think i will ring them tomorrow

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I would take a look at some of the Cree head torches
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=cree+headtorch the difference is outstanding between a Cree emitter and an LED.People do complain about its brightness though so look for one with different settings also be aware of the switch type as accidental switching on when in a pack can be problematic

Most folk will rate the Alpkit Gamma My 15 year old son has one and even he hasn't broke it and i would expect Alpkit to be pretty good if you do have a problem

Of course you cant really look at head torches and not give credit to Petzl I stll have one of the old style ones and while the bulb and battery life are not comparable with modern units it is still going and a pretty robust piece of kit I use it for going out to bring logs in in the winter
Petzl e lite is a great wee lightweight torch as well

I am sure the Energiser one is fine but i think you might be able to get more bang for your buck by looking carefully at the Crees

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Zebra headlights are good, the H51 kicks out 200 lumen from a single AA.

Petzls are good too, I've had a couple of their Tikka's in various models, the E-Lite is a handy little thing too.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire

Petzls are good too, I've had a couple of their Tikka's in various models, the E-Lite is a handy little thing too.

I've only used petzls but have been blinded by the zebra.

Also used 'normal' torches with a 'nite-ize' head band.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece

Zebralights do some fantastic lights (My SC600 arrived last week), for headlights though i rate Fenix slightly above Zebra though.
http://www.thephotonshop.co.uk/page6.htm

A fair wack more money but they are in a different league in terms of power, reliability and repair.

Cheers
Mark

Fenix lights

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Vote for Alpkit here, my mate had one and one of the flashing fumctions stopped working after a year of serious hammer, he gave Alpkit a call and a new one was on the doorstep the next day

xander

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2011
bedford england
well my 5 year old just bought me the energizer one on ebay that will teach me to go to the loo and leave the laptop on lol im going to have to turn off the auto password to as she seems to have gone through paypal too lol DOH !!!!!!!!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I've bought some useful head torches for very little money in places like Aldi and Lidl. A couple of weeks ago I bought a cheap Silverline one and I'm very happy with it. You can't expect too much for 2.99 including batteries but it gives a great beam and it's fine for what I want it to use for (spotting animals' eyes in the woods). Which brings me to the question: what do you want to use it for?

Some head torches thesedays are IMO too bright for ferreting about in a tent trying to find your socks. The manufacturers and retailers go on about high power outputs, but you need to have a reasonably low power setting available both to avoid dazzling yourself at close range and to get a decent battery life. I personally have no use for all the fancy flashing modes that they offer and I'd rather have another, lower power, setting instead if I could get one.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
The Energiser is a great bit of kit, been using one for about a year now.

If that's the one I'm thinking of Rich I agree, it brilliant, 6 led'ss two white spot lights two white flood lights and two red floods, your can have either spot, flood, spot and flood, or red, very strong beam, brilliant for walking at night, I use mine running in winter, very weather resistant and i only need to change the three AAA's once a year at most. very good torch, for me the one and only con is that you have to cycle through the light if you don't want the initial flood setting, but that's not a hindrance at all.

Energizer head torch( never bought from these chaps so cannot vouch)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE