heads up bedroll for £10

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I finally got round to buying one of these on Ebay this week. £15 including delivery, ordered on Wednesday, arrived today. In mint condition too. Looks a decent piece of kit, can't wait to try it out, outdoors.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Bought one of these as a spur of the moment thing without checking reviews. Just found this thread. Glad it looks as though its a decent bit of kit.

Tigger004

Feb 27, 2011
Northants
I ordered two a long while ago now, one was perfect and the other has cracking and flaking on the rubberised base, using a method I picked up from youtuber "cheap *******" I mixed some clear silicone sealant with white spirit into quite runny, the applied several thin coats ( It dries slightly shiney and the smell disappears quickly, also it's worth flexing the mat a lot prior to treating which stops cracking after and brings back its flexibility). Hope this helps. PS I have used this method on a tired motorcycle jacket too, it,'s great. For ref - YouTube video was "cheap ******** silnylon". Cheers Jeff

Tigger004

Feb 27, 2011
Northants
Does anyone Know the intended use / method of using the strange hood config of strings and flaps at the top of the Chech bivvy bedroll

Last edited:

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
Does anyone Know the intended use / method of using the strange hood config of strings and flaps at the top of the Chech bivvy bedroll

Hi Tigger,

As far as I can work out, the flap at the top can folded inside out to form a pocket into which clothing can be stuffed to form a pillow, and then when the correct way round forms a pouch into which the roll can be rolled and buttoned to form neat parcel. The central compression strap is just that; a compression strap for cinching the whole thing into a tighter roll which is handy when getting the flap buttons done up. I believe the side straps are for attaching to a backpack. I have used them to fold the packed roll into a ball and stuffed it into a rucksack, but the alignment of the straps and rings suggests this wasn't the purpose. A word of warning if you are using the to tie externally onto a rucksack, they must be done tightly with as much excess strap passed through the loop as possible as they aren't that reliable. On a recent jaunt out, I found they came loose quite easily leaving the bedroll dangling from my pack as I plodded to/from camp...really annoying.

On the hood/neck of the bedroll, sewn into the outer shell layer, I recall there is a drawstring which is used to form a mummy-like sleeping bag arrangement in cold weather.

As an aside, my personal view of the system is that the parts are greater than the sum. The thick blanket is soft and warm as a standalone thing and the semi-water proof outer makes a great cover for my sleeping bag, but the whole thing together isn't that great. For its bulk and weight, I don't think is provides great warmth value. I have slept in it a few times and on more than one occasion I have woken with cold spots in the bed. Some have stuffed a quilt or roll mat into the roll to improve the warmth factor but I found that it constricted the space for me and became a little uncomfortable. Ditching the heavy linen/cotton inner hygiene sheet in favour of a modern lightweight sleeping bag liner might help. That said, I still think this is a great buy though simply for the great blanket and outer. Mine stunk like a dead skunk when I bought it though:)

Cheers,
Matt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE