Has anyone checked if sap is rising?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Woo Hoo...

21Feb20093.jpg

i would normaly proccess any sap within 4 days of finish from collection and a max of four days on the tree and i have no problems if your uncertaain add one campden tablet per gallon of sap to kill off all bac and other nasties.

campden tablets are for home brew use, try your local wine making shop or tescos direct etc, if your using powderd meta sulf then half a level tea spoon willdo the same effect

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
It's not flowing here, maybe I'm checking some other tree, but I know for a fact I've checked multiple sycamores...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Drink it straight out of the tree. Very refreshing drink. It's even better if you find a scenic spot, then sit and enjoy.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Can't check birch, there are none here, only sycamore's...

Only birch around here is in the streets...

Will have to go up the woods... :( Been meaning to go up there anyway.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
its flowing, iv set up a tap, gonna see hows it is tomoz, now is there anything i should look out for? ie how to tell if its safe 

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
If its sap... its safe. Just make sure its bug free. Some trees taste sweeter than others though.

Nothing up here, out today and zip.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
As long as its pure sap, no... some of the stuff last year was 'milky'

Just make sure its silver birch or maple, there's a filter in place to collect debris/bugs.

As with anything, if in doubt, try a small quantity and see how it go's.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
As long as its pure sap, no... some of the stuff last year was 'milky'

Just make sure its silver birch or maple, there's a filter in place to collect debris/bugs.

As with anything, if in doubt, try a small quantity and see how it go's.

great stuff iv got a cloth over a billy can, thanks for your help :)

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Welcome...

Just dug this off the net for you whats wrong with you all. I would assume any birch, or maple.

Field maple is eminently tappable, any acer is, even sycamore. Any walnut species (hickory, pecan, heartnut etc) is too

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE