has any body had tick bites this late in the year?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
I have got 3 bites on me at the moment and 1 of them is infected I think. I don't think I remember having bites this late on the year before and I don't remember having 1 that is so itchy

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
did you remove actual ticks from the bites?

yes I did and im sure I pulled them out properly as they were entact. Cannot figure out why they are so late I haven't been anywhere near sheep areas but where I went there is a lot of deer and I was following some of the trials through woods grass and bracken.

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
I think I may be did not dress properly as i was only wearing hike boots with jeans and not my out door trousers and gaters. i think that might be a bigger factor about if ticks bite some one or not because they are not very choosy about what animals they go on

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Whether you think they're infected or not, read the two links above in Dogoak's post and then get yourself off to the quack without delay; this is one of those things where if anything goes bad the medical fraternity will
tell you it's your fault, to some extent, because you didn't present early enough.

Personally, I would treat this as a matter of urgency and arm myself with the info. above....................A stitch in time, eh?

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Don't screw around with tick bites, buddy! Take it from someone who's had to be treated for lymes... get it checked out immediately!
Some lymes-infected bites will present no physical symptoms on or around the bite, but you'll still be infected. To be honest, I've been suffering excessive drowsiness and lack of energy ever since I got bit (despite treatment).

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A couple of mates picked a few up when we were at Loch Shiel a few weeks ago, despite a day tracking deer through waist high bracken I managed to avoid any, maybe it was the remnants of the permethrin treatment I put on my clothes a few months back. I haven't done bad myself this year though, I picked a couple up at Knapdale earlier in the year but that's it.

Horrid little things but they're not enough to stop me getting out

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
bracken and heather are the worst culprits for holding ticks, i would be off to quacks if you think you have infection or red marks and get it sorted lymes is no joke a very nasty thing to have and i agree with ivan ticks anytime although the cold does slow them down, good luck wayne

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
One of the little b*ggers latched on to me last week. I was surprised to get one so late in the season too - especially as I was wearing high walking boots, trousers and waterproof over-trousers. It still managed to find its way up to my groin.

I made a right pigs ear of trying to get it out (couldn't find the tick remover and used tweezers). I'm pretty sure that I left the mouth parts in, but slathered the area with antiseptic cream and kept my fingers crossed. No sign of the tell-tale red ring yet, but I am watching it closely.

I can find something good to say about most of the creatures on this beautiful planet, but ticks are very definitely the exception!

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Kong, hope you're ok mate, please update us.

Bartooon, be careful, not everyone develops the rash!

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
got me all itchy now :) usually have a couple on my over the year from being out and about , sometimes the long grass and bracken is the worst place to be... thought they would have been dead as we had a frosty week there but it has been v mild recently, somone local died from it not long ago

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Localised infection may be caused by many things, just like when you cut yourself, any breach of the skin is an easy route for infection to get in; it may not necessarily be Lymes.

My GP recommends I remove any ticks ASAP (last one actually extracted itself anyway as I was getting ready to do it), keep them safely and watch out for symptoms. If any symptoms present then make an immediate appointment for him to prescribe treatment & to bring the tick with me for him to submit for testing.

One old guy I used to shoot with, an ex terrier & rat / mole man had both Lyme and Weils disease throughout his lie untreated & used to have to take enzyme tablets with every meal just to digest his food. These aren't diseases to take lightly.

Ticks are nasty little suckers and make me feel good that all those sheep I threw into the vicious old "burn your skin if it got splashed on you" sheep dip may have not liked it but I killed a good few ticks in my time!

If you've read the links and are concerned/showing any symptoms then get yourself checked out ASAP, and take the links to the LDA site and BADA with you, my GP came from a small rural practice & was very familiar with the disease, a city GP may not be so clued up.

With the wetter weather in the UK & lack of temperature extremes their spread will only continue, the thing that most worries me is missing an adult female, having it drop off in the car or house & it laying it's thousands of eggs.

Good luck!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE