Hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

flipside

Aug 25, 2006
Scotland
hi everyone

i decided that it would be nice to get away from a a tent and start hammock camping. The hammock that i bought was not pre-roped (not sure if that is a word) it was a flat sheet with double stitched seams at the ends for the rope to go through. I have put the rope through and tried to make a loop at both ends of the hammock as anchor points which has not worked i have fallen down more times than i can count it is like a scene from monty python.

Anybody got any advice on this i would greatly appreciate it

Many thanks in advance

Flip

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Sounds like you need a straight wooden or metal pole through the double stitched seams, not just rope. Got any pics, or a link of what you bought?

ODG

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Hi Flipside,

Is that the one that you bought? It’s very cheap, I have made a few myself and the cost of the materials was a lot more than £13.00. I might get one just to see what it is like.

Nigel

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Getting into a hammock is quite tricky until you learn the knack

Lots of site will give you a “how to” most with pictures
My way is to sit on one edge of the hammock with the other edge high up my back. Allow my weight to settle into the hammock as I rotate my body and swing my legs up. I continue twisting until my legs are lifted into the hammock and then leaning back until I am completely in. Same for getting out

flipside

Aug 25, 2006
Scotland
i can get in and out no bother but the knots give way and i arrive back on terra firma faster than i hoped. i have looped rope into the ends through the stitched seams and it seems to be failing at that point.

many thanks

flip

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
I'm using a good old fashioned bowline through the ends of mine.
If it's the stitching that is failing try tying the material to the ropes using a sheet bend.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
If its the ropes that are failing, why not thread two carabiners through the material instead of the rope?

Dave

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
If I'm reading this right at this time of night........whether with or without Karribiners...... what I do is take both straps from the hammock around the tree tieing the first part of a surgeons knot as you go (like a shoe-knot only with an extra twist) then back to the front of the tree on the hammock side and do the same again only this time finishing it off with the final part of the shoe-lace knot (reef bow)...adding a further half hitch if you wish.

I'm not the world's most experienced hammock user but this has held my 14 ish stone of weight with no problems. In the absence of a picture I hope this makes sense....... :)

flipside

Aug 25, 2006
Scotland
hi everyone

thanks for your ideas, morch the karbiners work a treat, but i am going to put webbing straps through the ends of it and sew them with a machine so that they form a tight loop at the end. Was not aware that my mum had a sewing machine

your help has been more than appreciated

flip

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
flip - dont fix anything - keep the rope/strap free running through the ends as it gives you more variety in its use. I've worn mine as a sarong on occasion when the opportunity of a shower and kit wash became available :)

I made the mistake of putting a knot in one of mine and it restricted the tree widthe I could go for.

flipside

Aug 25, 2006
Scotland
another good point but mine is to big for a sarong and in army green i might look like a turtle that is lost, i have the ray mears ecosystem dvd and from what i can see he has put webbing through the end of his hammock and this attaches to an metal O ring from these O rings there is a webbing strap of which i am not sure of the length but it is considerable and it adjusts through these O rings to provide the correct height,

hope this makes sense

Flip

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
That example looks good, but I think I would use a double figure of eight rather than a bowline. It is a stronger knot than the Bowline, and generally accepted to be easier to get right and easier to untie.

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Knots can be very addictive. One of my favouite passtimes is on the sofa with a hot coffee, the wife and monster (my 3yr old) out and some 3,6 & 8 mm cord.

This is a very nice book, good illustrations and a large variety of useful knots.

Knots (amazon)

or, if you are of the 'If a jobs worth doing....' crowd, then this is widely accepted as the knot bible.

Knot bible (Ashley)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE