Hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HelenG

Dec 26, 2016
Pembrokeshire, UK
Hi,

Has anybody tried both the DD camping and super light hammocks? Looking to buy my first hammock for wild sleeping but not sure which way to go.

Any other advice on hammocks much appreciated.

Helen.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Over the years I've tried all of the DD hammocks. The only one I use now is the superlight with whoopie slings. I'm 5'11" and weigh 100kg and I find it fine and comfortable. I use the underblanket with the superlight , with all the others I used a mat which I just couldn't get on with. I've seen negative comments about the superlight but I have no problems with it.
Hope this helps.

HelenG

Dec 26, 2016
Pembrokeshire, UK
Over the years I've tried all of the DD hammocks. The only one I use now is the superlight with whoopie slings. I'm 5'11" and weigh 100kg and I find it fine and comfortable. I use the underblanket with the superlight , with all the others I used a mat which I just couldn't get on with. I've seen negative comments about the superlight but I have no problems with it.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, that's really helpful. Do you think the underblanket is worth the space & weight in your pack?

wales1

Aug 3, 2011
dumfriesshire
You will Deffo need some form of insulation as even a cool breeze will sap the warmth from you (bear in mind all insulation from whatever your laying on in hammock will be compressed so will offer little protection). I never really got on with hammocks but had tried a few before reverting back to ground dwelling :) DD and tenth wonder. All good kit to be honest and couldn't fault the quality, just couldn't get used to the swaying and found my ground set up was just as compact/light as a hammock and tarp anyway. With regards underquilts, having had both a synthetic and a down underquilt, the down packed a hell of a lot smaller but cost twice as much...

Steve

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Yes I do. It took me a longtime to get an underblanket and I wouldn't go back. In reality the underblanket doesn't weigh or take up anymore room than a worthwhile mat, but I find it much more comfortable. Unless it's really warm with no wind not having some sort of insulation isn't an option. There's nothing worse than a cold nights sleep.

HelenG

Dec 26, 2016
Pembrokeshire, UK
You will Deffo need some form of insulation as even a cool breeze will sap the warmth from you (bear in mind all insulation from whatever your laying on in hammock will be compressed so will offer little protection). I never really got on with hammocks but had tried a few before reverting back to ground dwelling :) DD and tenth wonder. All good kit to be honest and couldn't fault the quality, just couldn't get used to the swaying and found my ground set up was just as compact/light as a hammock and tarp anyway. With regards underquilts, having had both a synthetic and a down underquilt, the down packed a hell of a lot smaller but cost twice as much...

Steve
Thanks Steve. What's your ground set up? Can't imagine how I'd get mine as small as a hammock set up.

rsmith

Jul 15, 2010
Bristol
Hiya, I agree on under blankets - I have the DD one - it is great even in winter - but you need to make sure you have a large tarp / are well battened down in the rain or it will get wet. I was out in Dartmoor last jan in my hammock with under blanket and was toasty. The blanket is also more comfy than a mat - in the cold, if your arm or foot goes off the mat it gets really cold, and in the heat a mat is sweaty. I find the DD hammocks ok (have had frontline and camper), but found a Hennessy hammock far more comfy and way less of a faff to put up. My mate has the ultralight - it's incredible for the size but not as comfy as a Hennessy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsmith

Jul 15, 2010
Bristol
PS if you have any back issues etc then it's worth checking the Hennessy out - it's asymmetrical which means you can lie diagonally in it - effectively straight and flat (heaven)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Two pieces of advice I always give to folk looking to start hammock camping.

Check out the mighty shug's playlist on hammock basics...

[video=youtube_share;d7NZVqpBUV0]https://youtu.be/d7NZVqpBUV0[/video]

And don't forgot to check out Tenth Wonder hammocks.

http://www.twhammocks.co.uk/

It's the comfiest night you'll spend in the woods, with a little practice :).

wales1

Aug 3, 2011
dumfriesshire
Thanks Steve. What's your ground set up? Can't imagine how I'd get mine as small as a hammock set up.

Alpkit rig 7 tarp, neoair xtherm, lightweight solo groundsheet. Have a seatosummit nano pyramid net for midge season and for winter I add a bivvy bag. Bombproof set up really :) and lighter than hammock, tarp and underblanket.

For my kayak or canoe trips though I tend to take a bit of luxury, bergans lavvo and all the mod cons :)

Steve

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
We went from ground dwelling to hammocks this year. I held back for a while as I would need 2 units, one for myself and one for my wife. But there was a DD group buy earlier this year, so ended up ordering 2 front lines and another tarp. Definitely a good move. I have since added whoopie slings and under blankets.
The under blanket does take up a bit of space, but it works perfectly and clips underneath the hammock really easily. It also means that you do not even need to get into your sleeping bag, you can use it more as a quilt/over blanket which makes for easier access in and out of your hammock.
Oh, and welcome to BCUK.
Greg

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Alpkit rig 7 tarp, neoair xtherm, lightweight solo groundsheet. Have a seatosummit nano pyramid net for midge season and for winter I add a bivvy bag. Bombproof set up really :) and lighter than hammock, tarp and underblanket.

For my kayak or canoe trips though I tend to take a bit of luxury, bergans lavvo and all the mod cons :)

Steve

Do you have a picture of your setup? I considered something similar with the midge net, but never got round to doing it. Been using a bivy bag with built in midge mesh, but its a bit cramped

wales1

Aug 3, 2011
dumfriesshire
Not got a pic to hand, however I will be setting up this week to replace guylines (new cordage from santa!)as hoping to go away on weekend for an overnighter :) will post up a pic or two once I have it pitched and will whack the net up also. It's a nice little lightweight set up :)

Cheers

Steve

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Hello HelenG.
I'm the guy who dose the group buys for the DD hammocks and stuff.
I have both of the hammocks and use both of them. The camping for when I'm away with the TA and the Lightweight for bushcraft.
I love them both and if cost isn't an issue then I would go for the Lightweight one.
But if cost could be an issue OR your just after a first time hammock then go for the camping one.
The lightweight hammock was designed for hikers who are looking for ways to loose weight in their kit.
Have you thought about a mossie net, last thing you want at night is to be sharing you hammock with some sort of creepy crawly.
And have you got a Tarp (its a kind of more important than a Hammock)

If you wait I'll be doing another DD group buy around March time if that will help

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Hello HelenG.
I'm the guy who dose the group buys for the DD hammocks and stuff.
I have both of the hammocks and use both of them. The camping for when I'm away with the TA and the Lightweight for bushcraft.
I love them both and if cost isn't an issue then I would go for the Lightweight one.
But if cost could be an issue OR your just after a first time hammock then go for the camping one.
The lightweight hammock was designed for hikers who are looking for ways to loose weight in their kit.
Have you thought about a mossie net, last thing you want at night is to be sharing you hammock with some sort of creepy crawly.
And have you got a Tarp (its a kind of more important than a Hammock)

If you wait I'll be doing another DD group buy around March time if that will help
Hmmm might just keep an eye out for that.. 👍☺

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've had a few. There's a dedicated forum for hangers www.hammockforums.net. It's American so although there will be info on DD, it may be sparse.

I started with a Claytor Jungle Hammock but found the banana sleep didn't suit my back after a couple of nights and that knee joints can get sore from being stretched straight. Next was a Draumr, almost like a suspended bed. I thought I'd found my grail, but I missed being cocooned.

Latest is a UKHammocks Woodsman X. It has a foot sag area to allow a flatter lay, has a double layer in case you want to put a mat in the envelope, and wasn't too pricy. If you're going to use a mat, definitely get a hammock that has the sleeve otherwise your mat moves just about anywhere but under you. As mentioned, any contact with the hammock will compress your bag and create a cold spot.

I use just a bag and a mat, I can't be bothered to get more complex than that for what is mainly 3 season camping. A bugnet that can be removed is also a must for me.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My favourite hammock is one I designed and made myself :)
A rectangle of fabric with channels on all four sides.
The side channels take webbing straps, the end channels take spreader bars to give a hammock that does not end up feeling like a sausage skin.
The base of the hammock is double to take a mat and the side channels wide enough to take strips of CCF for more insulation.
The hammock can also be used as a stretcher or stretcher bed by replacing the webbing straps with poles...
This is the most comfortable hammock I have ever slept in - and I can sleep comfortably on my side or front!
018 (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).jpg
007 (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).jpg

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I use the superlight dd hammock, along with a therm a rest mat. It is a bit of a pain for moving about below you, but not terrible. So perhaps a 2 layer hammock would be worth it if going that route.
Ive never used a underblanket though, so maybe id be amazed at the diffrence

I do have a Snugpack jungle blanket though, Would that be thick enough to use as a underblanket if i could rig it up below?
Or even, I wonder if i could i use it to make a sleeve for my sleeping mat to go in between the hammock and blanket?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE