Hammock questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hello guys,

I've spent the last couple of hours looking through older threads and youtube vids and I'm close to biting the bullet and buying a hammock. I've put a vintage Pelikan fountain pen up for sale on another board so if that sells I'll have a bit of cash to play with. I have a couple of questions if someone would be kind enough to fill in the blanks for me,

- First off, where do you put your kit when you're in the hammock. Do most people string their rucksack up with carbiners, and if so where do you attach them? What about your boots?

- I'm thinking of getting a DD hammock/bivi along with their 3x3 tarp as it seems the most flexible option (option to use it on the ground) and using it with my thermalite matt and down bag. Anyone had any problems with condensation? I was out in my new bivy the other day but I had a rotten nights sleep so I think I'll be keeping it as an emergency item more than a 'daily user'

- Do you slide around in a sleeping bag inside the hammock?

- How easy is it to get undressed/dressed inside a hammock? I'm guessing easier than in a bivy anyways! :lmao:

- Can someone explain what tree hugger straps are?

- If I buy the DD hammock and tarp combo is there any other related kit I should think about buying? I've never used a tarp either excuse me if it's obvious but how flammable are they?

Cheers guys!

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Hello guys,

I've spent the last couple of hours looking through older threads and youtube vids and I'm close to biting the bullet and buying a hammock. I've put a vintage Pelikan fountain pen up for sale on another board so if that sells I'll have a bit of cash to play with. I have a couple of questions if someone would be kind enough to fill in the blanks for me,

- First off, where do you put your kit when you're in the hammock. Do most people string their rucksack up with carbiners, and if so where do you attach them? What about your boots?

- I'm thinking of getting a DD hammock/bivi along with their 3x3 tarp as it seems the most flexible option (option to use it on the ground) and using it with my thermalite matt and down bag. Anyone had any problems with condensation? I was out in my new bivy the other day but I had a rotten nights sleep so I think I'll be keeping it as an emergency item more than a 'daily user'

- How easy is it to get undressed/dressed inside a hammock? I'm guessing easier than in a bivy anyways! :lmao:

- If I buy the DD hammock and tarp combo is there any other related kit I should think about buying? I've never used a tarp either excuse me if it's obvious but how flammable are they?

Cheers guys!

im just in the middle of watching something about amish kids and will respond properly afterwards. ive done some videos that are somewhere on this forum that have tree huggers in them and also show you the amount of space and some other bits and pieces.

adverts are over.

respond properly in about 30 mins i guess... haha

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

I either keep them on the floor under my hammock or suspend them from the ridge line directly above, my rucksack I suspend from one tree or just stick it under the setup.

Not at all, very easy getting into and out of if you put your head into the hood first and then ease you legs in. No slipping about once you get used to the lie of your hammock.

How easy is it to get undressed/dressed inside a hammock? I'm guessing easier than in a bivy anyways! :lmao:

Very, just as easy as a one man tent anyway.

Tree hugger straps are wide seat belt sized straps that cut down on the damage to the tree. A rope can dig into the bark because of the weight and damage it, the wider treehuggers minimise this effect.

Their snakeskins for easy packing up are a must. Some extra paracord for kit lines are also needed IMO. Don't set fire to it and you'll be more than OK

Last edited:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I've not been tree swinging for long, but I'll let you know what works for me if that's any help.

Firstly, I started using a smaller mesh hammock which I slung below my DD Frontline, but I have a Berghaus Vulcan which ended up on the floor more often than in the hammock :lmao:
My kit now rests either directly on the floor or on an old poncho depending upon ground conditions.

I use a synthetic Snugpak SF2 on a 3/4 length Thermarest and experience no problems with condensation. I camp out with Oakhill Wanderer most of the time, who has virtually the same setup (with a different brand of Thermarest) and he has suffered from condensation. So I really think it depends upon how 'hot' you sleep and how your sleeping bag operates with regards to wicking away moisture etc. A down bag may absorb the moisture???

I won't lie to you, I do tend to slip and slide inside my hammock, but I do zip the mozzie net up on the Frontline which gives me a more 'cradled' feeling and probably adds a little more stability once I'm zipped up in my bag. I tend to sleep with my boxers or trousers and a t-shirt on, and get undressed outside the hammock but within the confines of my tarp. I think I'd have more trouble getting changed in the hammock than it's worth IMHO.

I can't really comment on tree-hugger straps, most guys I know use the standard webbing that comes with the DD, although some have made the switch to climbing tape. Aside to this, I would really recommend a snakeskin and modding the setup by looping a small amount of webbing at each end of the hammock and adding a karabiner or a maillon to enable the 'pulley system' to keep your hammock taught. It does away with the need for knots and means that you can get your hammock up superfast!:cool:

I hope this helps, I'm sure someone will be along shortly with more experience and more detailed info for ya!

seg1959

Forager
Feb 8, 2010
Surrey, UK
Hello guys,

Cheers guys!

Hi there Highbinder,
I'm sure you'll get lots if answers on this - so here's my 2p worth:

"where do you put your kit when you're in the hammock": most people hang their rucksacks from a tree or (if it's not too heavy) from the webbing (suspension) of the hammock. Your boots can be hung from the suspension or can be put upside-down on two sticks you have pushed in the ground next to your hammock - so they dry out and you avoid any nasties getting in overnight. Trekkingnut has an interesting way of hanging his boots out of his HH - check out his videos!

"I'm thinking of getting a DD hammock along with their 3x3 tarp": most people would say that that's a good choice for us on this side of the pond. In the US they have a better choice.

"If I buy the DD hammock and tarp combo is there any other related kit I should think about buying": The main problem on a hammock is the 'cold bottom syndrome' - because you are hanging and you have cold air underneath you, your behind gets cold - even in the summer. And a sleeping bag will get compressed between you and the hammock, so your bottom insulation becomes ineffective. Most hammockers use an underquilt - some for of insulation that hangs *under* your hammock, so it does not gets compressed and it keeps you warm.
"unsponsored" in these forums makes custom down underquilts for around £55 - look him up in the 'makers market' forum. A cheaper (temporary) solution is an old sleeping bag or a cheap fleece blanket which you can hang with elastic cord under your hammock.

"Do you slide around in a sleeping bag inside the hammock? " - as per above - I do not use a sleeping bag in the hammock, although I have used one, un-zipped and thrown over me as a blanket. So I do not slide around (a lot). However, given that the hammock is made of some kind of ripstop polyester material, if you put another poly layer between you and the hammock, there will be some sliding...

"How easy is it to get undressed/dressed inside a hammock?" - tricky one this. In the summer I tend to just remove my trousers and go in the hammock in my underwear; In the winter you just take your shoes off. So I do not actually undress in it...

"Can someone explain what tree hugger straps are? " - Sure. Most hammockers replace the stock suspension and use thin dyneema lines (3mm thickness, 1000Kg working load) as their suspension, to save weight. If you wrap these around a tree you might damage the bark - as the thin line might cut through the bark (think cheese cutting wire, if it helps).
The solution ids to use 'tree huggers' - American term for polyester webbing about 1 inch wide, that goes around the tree, and has a loop at the end. Your line then attaches to the tree hugger, and therefore avoids damage to the bark. Have a look at this video for a full explanation

Hope this helps a bit. Go to the "hammockforums dot net" site, there are thousands of articles and photos there to help you out.

seg

Last edited:

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
ok, amish kids enjoyed themselves, back to forums. first thing, agree with whoever put that bit up about hammock forums, i am a regular contributor under the same user name and cant fault it in the slightest. they will answer your questions for hours on end.

i have a large goretex army rucksack cover, my bergen and day sack both fit inside it no problem and then i pull it tight and leave it under the hammock and tarp. i use my sleeping bag bag to put bits and pieces in and then hang it on the internal ridgeline. i also use the hammocks own bag for the same purpose. my hh explorer asmy deluxe has internal storage for nick nacks anyway.

my boots get tied over the ridgeline internally and then hang out the door to keep the inside clean.

dd's have a whole forum within a forum on hammockforums site, check it out for yourself.

i dont slide around at all no... if you pitch the leg end a little higher, because your torso is heavier, you should stay in one place.

i can take my trousers on and off with ease... its a little awkward to take items of clothes off that you are sitting on... so not REALLY like a tent.. but you will get used to it.

tree huggers have been explained enough.

why would you want to set fire to your tarp? hehe... you should have the tarp about head height anyway... so if you are cooking with a cooker, it wont be a problem, for actual fire, as flamable as a tent pretty much... so have an appropriate distance between everything just as you would normally.

you shouldnt need any further kit to be honest... just a rollmat... your body heat just gets sucked right out from you underneath... so a rollmat is absolutely essential. and not a 2 pound one from asda.

you will have some of the best nights sleep of your life. i regularly use my HH hammock for up to six months at a time more or less straight when i lead jungle expeditions. and at times, i have managed to sleep for 12 hours STRAIGHT without even waking up once! no bruising, no discomfort, everything was magic!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I think you already have some good advice there Highbinder.

I've spent more nights in my DD travel than I can remember, the condenstaion can be an issue for some, I find its only a problem if I drink too much whisky! Plenty of ventilation and pitching into the wind helps with this.

The bivi option for the travel is a proper sweatbag, and should only really be considered if you use a synthetic bag, but the hammock does make a good (delicate) groundsheet.

I use tree straps and find they make life easier and cause much less damage to the tree.

My advice is to buy some dyneema/spectra cord for the tarp ridgeline and also for a line to run under the tarp to hang your kit from.
Dyneema doesn't stretch at all. It instills more confidence in your tarp in the wind because its rock solid. The line under the tarp will take all your kit without stretching to the ground, and also makes a great grab line to steady yourself when getting in/out and zipping up the bug net that you will leave at your foot-end! You can also drape a poncho over this line in really wet/windy weather, giving massive warmth and protection from the weather.

You will need 20-25 metres of line for this, cut in half. 10 + metres for the ridgeline and 10+ for the undertarp ridgeline. (structural ridgeline are different-see Hammock forums, and arent worth the hassle, IMO)
I use expensive dyneema (1.80/M) , but dyneema core from Kingfisher is plenty good enough and comes in at about £0.40p/M.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hello guys,

Thanks for the replies, I think that clears most things up! Good news is the fountain pen is sold pending payment so I have a bit of cash - new boots and a hammock methinks!

Snakeskin looks dead handy so that'll be getting bought, and I'll definately look into the spectra cord Teepee. Karribiners are going to be a must from what I can see they make things a lot more convenient.

Can someone explain this tho:

"adding a karabiner or a maillon to enable the 'pulley system' to keep your hammock taught." Pulley system?

Silverhill, I considered an underblanket but tbh I don't need more kit :D, I recently bought an alpkits sleeping bag and I love it. But like you said if it comes to it I can always use an old bag rigged as an underblanket. I figure a DD hammock which can be slung between trees as well as on the ground with the mozie net under a tarp (dead good for midgies I'd imagine, it was my only reservation with camping just with a tarp..) and packs up more conveniently than a tent, albeit to about the same weight, is the most flexible solution. Two friends and I are in the middle of planning a trip around Europe (4-5 months) and I can see myself packing both tent and hammock as we'll be driving.

trekkingnut, aye those amish kids looked like they had fun. I couldn't help laughing at the scaffolding on the 'castle' tho hehheh. Good tip on pitching the leg-end higher, I've slept on many couches in my time so I think that setup would suit me just fine!

As for the fire I was under the impression you could set up a tarp over the fire to stop rain getting to it. So it's more a general tarp question than about me setting a fire under a hammock LOL

I'm planning a camp in two weeks so once this chap pays for the fountain pen I'll place the order, have a play with it, snap some pics, and report back :)

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Hello guys,

Thanks for the replies, I think that clears most things up! Good news is the fountain pen is sold pending payment so I have a bit of cash - new boots and a hammock methinks!

Snakeskin looks dead handy so that'll be getting bought, and I'll definately look into the spectra cord Teepee. Karribiners are going to be a must from what I can see they make things a lot more convenient.

Can someone explain this tho:

"adding a karabiner or a maillon to enable the 'pulley system' to keep your hammock taught." Pulley system?

Silverhill, I considered an underblanket but tbh I don't need more kit :D, I recently bought an alpkits sleeping bag and I love it. But like you said if it comes to it I can always use an old bag rigged as an underblanket. I figure a DD hammock which can be slung between trees as well as on the ground with the mozie net under a tarp (dead good for midgies I'd imagine, it was my only reservation with camping just with a tarp..) and packs up more conveniently than a tent, albeit to about the same weight, is the most flexible solution. Two friends and I are in the middle of planning a trip around Europe (4-5 months) and I can see myself packing both tent and hammock as we'll be driving.

trekkingnut, aye those amish kids looked like they had fun. I couldn't help laughing at the scaffolding on the 'castle' tho hehheh. Good tip on pitching the leg-end higher, I've slept on many couches in my time so I think that setup would suit me just fine!

As for the fire I was under the impression you could set up a tarp over the fire to stop rain getting to it. So it's more a general tarp question than about me setting a fire under a hammock LOL

I'm planning a camp in two weeks so once this chap pays for the fountain pen I'll place the order, have a play with it, snap some pics, and report back :)

i actually also did several videos on the garda hitch as a possiblity and another about using a carabiner style set up.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mcsparron

jump on there when you are bored and check out the hammock videos.

im off to sleep outside as usual, night all.

Guilty

Aug 4, 2008
Croydon
My thoughts on hammocks.
IMO the carrabina is a must. If for nothing else to act as a drip loop in bad weather to stop the rain running down the line and soaking the top and tail of your hammock.
I tend to place my pack at my head end, on the floor under the hammock. If it all goes wrong my head and neck will have some buffer between me and the ground. I can also reach down into the wardrobe and do the 'getting dressed thing', grab the wash kit for a bed bath (also known as the wet wipe wash).
>;o)

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
ok erm for your hammock, in terms of carabiners and drip rings, climbing carabiners are overpriced. go down to your local screwfix and get a pack of 10 snap hooks for £6. yes they are strong enough and much cheaper. you'll need some paracord to suspend your tarp. i bought a 100m spool of the tracpac stuff, it's light, strong and there's plenty of it for what you pay.

sliding around, i don't slide around really,the hammock should hold you in if you do start sliding a bit.

as for getting dressed in the hammock, never tried it. i don't dare cos i know i'll end up faceplanting the floor. just do it quick or borrrow a mate's tent.

i have a small netted hammock called "hang-out hammock" which i suspend below my sleeping hammock and use for all my gear. keeps it all clean and dry.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Nowt much to add to all the good advice here.

EDIT: Just read the rest of the replies, you already got this bit...
One little tip for a more comfortable night is to hang the head end of the hammock 3-6" lower than the foot end. If the hammock is perfectly level then your body can slide down into the apex of the curve (because your torso is generally heavier than your legs) & push your feet out the end. It may look & sound odd but it feels better when you have found the right amount for you..

Changing more than your undies can be tricky. I tend to sit up with my legs over the side when changing.

When you get your routine down I'm sure you love it.

I sometimes use a net hammock for kit or make a quick tripod for my pack & put boots upside down on a couple of sticks driven into the ground - if its dry it all sits under me on my pack over. It's nice to have something small to stand on when getting in & out/putting your boots on - saves taking too much of the woodland into your bag/boots when nature calls at 4am (some do take an empty bottle marked 'P' though).

Last edited:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Hello guys,

The karabiner mod involves the addition of a permanent loop of webbing and karabiner or maillon at each end of the hammock where the webbing usually continues and is wrapped around each tree. The webbing is (in my case) cut-off and used as the tree strap at each end. The tree strap is created by doubling over the webbing and tying it together in a series of knots fairly evenly spaced along the length, leaving a knotless stretch nearer the loop end. The strap is placed around the tree with the knotted end threaded through the loo,p and the karabiner from the end of the hammock clipped into one of the loops created by the series of knots.
My description is utter carp, so I'll link to a video I found on youtube which explains much better. The karabiner mod is over half way through.

HTH,
Steve

Gailainne

Life Member
The DD is a very economical way to get hanging, don't worry about the US ones, if you like hanging you'll either bite the bullet on one or not. I have a generation 2 DD that I still use, took it down to the Moot this year, I've used it from Scotland to Scandanavia, from summer to winter and on the ground as a bivi, its bombproof. Tapes that came with mine were crap, they stretched, don't know about the new ones. I replaced mine with static 9mm rope, we'll get into suspension in a bit.

Hammocks as stated by their nature suck heat from underneath, you need a dead air space to stop that happening, if you camp at all you will already have a foam pad or thermarest inflatable, exped if you really like your comfort, all of those work really well in a hammock, you dont need anything else.

Dressing, undressing, unless your female, it not an issue, I sit on the side of my hammock and change from underwear out, (your tarp helps here, depending how low you have it set), you could also do it lying inside your hammock/sleepingbag.

Kit; I make a tripod and set my rucksack on top of that, boots I do the two sticks thing, just make sure you dont land on them swinging out of you hammock. I tried the net gear hammock and to be frank it makes you lazy, you stick it in there rather than putting stuff away properly, bad habit to get into.

Tree huggers, the video above the guy doesn't use them, huge no, no as far as I'm concerned, using rope of any diameter damages the cambium layer of a tree, potentially ringing the tree and so killing it, using webbing spread the load around the tree and so reducing the damage.

Suspension; I use a system thats fairly common amongst hammockforums, and that is;

as said earlier a static 9mm line from my hammock,

Tree huggers around the tree, then use a marlin spike hitch, with a wooden dowel

a 300mm continuous loop larks head around 2 38mm rings, looped over the marlin spike

the 9mm rope feed thru the 2 rings locking it in place.

Sounds probably very complicated but really isnt, seriously suggest you spend some time on the forums of hammockforums.net, they will be well spent.

Stephen

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Stephen, cheers for the reply mate. I'll see how the kit that comes with fares and if needs be I'll think about upgrading.

I have a full size Thermalite pad, it's their 'comfort' model so its' nice and thick. Does the job nice enough on the ground but I get quite sore lying in one position and end up waking and turning multiple times a night. The only time I really sleep well on the ground I've found is whilst beach camping. I'm hoping the hammock aleviates this problem...

As for the gear hammock yep I'd agree with you. Theres one thing I hate and that's clutter, I like camping because it's nice and simplistic and I think I would really cringe at having a gear hammock brimming with cr*p to be honest! I guess I'll just get an extra karibiner to hang my rucksack and my boots I'll pop em on sticks as suggested.

And you're right that does sound dead complicated. But I'll definately have a good root a round the hammocking forums.

I'm sure you guys will be happy to know I placed my order today. Penny was great to deal with! I went with the DD pack and exchanged the 30l rucksack with the Snugpak Response, which I was thinking of getting anyway. Needless to say I'm a happy chappy. I'll be taking it out this weekend for a bit of solo camping up near Loch Lomand to try it out, and the weekend after next I'm heading down to Galloway forest park with a pal of mine who is also about to buy a hammock. He hasn't decided what brand to go with - I think hes' keen on the HHs due to the bottom opening so if he gets one it'll give me a chance to compare the two brands.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
lastnight.jpg

Perfect.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE