hammock or tent ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

bushyboo

Hammock and tarp all the time. but do also take a bivy bag and thermarest for the times there are no trees (which is not often)

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
It's a good question. For that amount of time I suppose you could cover alot of ground meaning you might be in open fields as well as woodland. For that reason i would take a tent although I do prefer hammocks.
My tent set up is also lighter than my hammock by the time i add underblankets and tarp etc...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It's a good question. For that amount of time I suppose you could cover alot of ground meaning you might be in open fields as well as woodland. For that reason i would take a tent although I do prefer hammocks.
My tent set up is also lighter than my hammock by the time i add underblankets and tarp etc...

Spot on, my Hex 3 is lighter than a hammock and tarp setup, goes up quicker too;) Each to there own though :)

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
For a long camp in the summer, something like a vango juno would be a good idea. Its lightweight, and keeps you and your gear dry enough on those bad days when you wont want to leave your camp.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
For a long camp in the summer, something like a vango juno would be a good idea. Its lightweight, and keeps you and your gear dry enough on those bad days when you wont want to leave your camp.

Yep, I'm looking forward to using the 800 summer, so much space in it.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com

nothing a big tarp wont do and you have nice views to go with it secondly cant have an open fire in a tent and i wouldnt even like to conisder cooking in a tent with meths or gas

Last edited:

J4C3

Forager
Apr 11, 2010
Derbyshire
One is not better than the other but a matter of choice and situation,if im with the wife and 3kids then of course a tent but when i hang with the lads on an overnighter you cant beat open fire and hammocks

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
When the location of the trip is not mostly above tree line or in a desert, my most comfortable option would be hammock with bug net + good foam mat + tarp. Usable on the ground as well as in the air depending on conditions, always comfy :)

No need for big tents. I enjoy watching and hearing nature a lot more than sitting in a funny man made box all day. The hammock is for sleeping or hanging in the sun while admiring everything around me. A tent would be for locking myself away from everything and double as a sauna as soon as the sun rises...

Though sacrifices would have to be made when I'm not on my own or am pursuing ultra lightness...

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
nothing a big tarp wont do and you have nice views to go with it secondly cant have an open fire in a tent and i wouldnt even like to conisder cooking in a tent with meths or gas

All true but When your out for a few months there will be times when you want to lock yourself away from nature and have your own time. And theres nothing wrong with using gas or meths in a tent, just be sensible with it, its exactly like using it under a tarp.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Yeah you should be fine. As I say just be sensible with it, putting the canister on a peice of wood and in the middle of the tent and obviously dont have the flames on high. lmao. Ive done it many times and im still here, and it gets the tent nice and warm too. :D

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
IMO, until the middle of last year i just used tents for 9 years but i saw it on a ray mears and thought well i'll give it a go. so i went online bought myself a £10 crappy string hammock and a £15 tarp and set off to explorer camp. wneh i got there i literally stamped down the ferns, strung it all up and jumped in. meanwhile everyone else was still setting up. since then i've done a weeks summer camp in the same gear and had no problems at all. really comfortable to sleep in. also i find it's far quicker to get in and out of than a tent and definately easier to drag across a field to the campsite. tbh, the only reason i think i would ever use a tent again is if i had a very large amount of gear to look after. hope this helps ure decision. :)

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
Hi KIFARU 4 man tipi with medium stove complete weighs in at 9lb 11oz i live and work in the french high pyrenees mtns it is the tops also use an 8 man version with large stove with the wife and kids all very light and backpackable, good luck

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
well i have decided on the hammock and tarp -flying out tomorrow for a month in the alaskan bush - so hopefully -will post up me adventure at the end of june !! cheers guys - wish me luck !! ha ha ha

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
well i have decided on the hammock and tarp -flying out tomorrow for a month in the alaskan bush - so hopefully -will post up me adventure at the end of june !! cheers guys - wish me luck !! ha ha ha

Have a good one fella, please take loads of piccies for us.

Don't forget your electric bear fence ;)

Jun 6, 2010
London
Big tent, camping bed and airbed on top! Agreed! More comfortable! But a bit difficult to get on a bicycle. BTW, has anyone got any experience of camping France? I'm off to Normandy in a week or so.. Anyway, off I go with the DD Traveller hammock that I've just ordered, along with the usual suspects: tarp, snakeskin, and I should be safe from excited land-owners and cops, what with it all being olive-green and deep in a wood and all. Google Earth is great for reconnaissance and I've found loads on my intended route. As for hammocks, I've used them loads in Mex and Guatemala and they are really comfortable. Oh, and at sea, then you've got your own gimbals. Just a thought. Montrez cette espace. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE