hammock or tent ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
what would you use /prefer for a long stay camp -say :eek:three to four weeks :D:D

i,d prefer the hammock and tarp for comfort but i,m thinking a tent may offer better protection from the wind !!:confused:

so what do you reckon ??

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
I'd use a hammock, but use a different tarp setup, to get a little more protection from the wind.

Like:

Folding the tarp diagonally, and put half underneath the hammock, and half on top.

Two tarps / one big mother ****** tarp, and fold it around the hammock.

Mainly, i like hammocks, as they get you off the cold ground, and they are lighter to pack than a tent/ basha with rollmat etc.

Ph34r

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
If weight is an issue and you are going for a few weeks I would take a hammock two tarps and a therm-a-rest, then you can be sure that whatever the terrain or weather you should be able to make a decent camp.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A decent one man tent setup will come in lighter than a tarp and hammock but nowhere near as comfy imho.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yup, for a long-term camp, that's what I would do as well.

Good man, you know it makes sense ;)

Hammocks just don't work for me but are great for others.

One thing that bugs me though is they do limit you to woodland camping. Take into account the very very small area of land that woods make up in the UK and you hammock only users are missing out on the big picture. There is so much wonderful open space still in the UK for you to use, wild camping is still allowed in some parts of the UK above a certain height for example, its all there for you to use.

Members here talk of traditional kit but the hammock is not traditional kit, certainly in the UK unless you were in the Navy of ye olde days.

As much as I admire Ray Mears I wish he had never strung up a hammock; he has inadvertently limited so many who enjoy the outdoors in this country to little pockets of land :(

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
Good man, you know it makes sense ;)

As much as I admire Ray Mears I wish he had never strung up a hammock; he has inadvertently limited so many who enjoy the outdoors in this country to little pockets of land :(

Not at all, rik.

I carry a bivvy bag and tarp wherever I go, but if there's a good chance of finding some woodland, I always take a hammock as well.

That way I can camp almost anywhere.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
tent for me solo one when backpacking, its got a small pack size and weights 1.8kg very low to the ground and storm proof

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I cant imagine anyone would limit their camping to only ever using hammocks

I generally do. If I need to go to ground in my dd travel, I do.

I've got 6 tents, all just about unused since my first hang, except for snowy mountain top camps.

I rarely see the need for a tent, as a hammock with bugnet and a tarp do the job better IMO, in most situations i'm in.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Tents are nice, warm, cozy. A bigger tent you can share and talk, play cards, drink beer etc, so much nicer than a hammock;)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
yes.

would you choose a bed over a little room to live in?

To make the analogy more accurate, would I choose the most comfortable bed in the world over a tiny, wet floored room that had a lumpy uncomfortable bed, crippled my back and cooked me everytime the sun came out, then I take the comfy bed. :)

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
I'll take a tent or a tarp thank you I think a hammock would be ok in the backyard but for camping no I don't think I could do that route. Besides if I need to get out quickly say if mother nature calls tarp or tent wins for me I am a bit clumsy when I first get up at time lol. Other reason I don't think I could take the swaying say if it gets windy out.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
What's wrong with taking a tarp, hammock and a thermarest? That way you can enjoy the best of both worlds once by choosing to use the hammock depending upon the suitability of your chosen site. If you improvise wind protection once you're out there and choose a good campsite to reflect the conditions, then that's surely the easiest and lightest way of making life more comfortable.

J4C3

Forager
Apr 11, 2010
Derbyshire
I have camped in a tents and many an occasion but only used a DD hammock once,total comfort,loads of fun,so much so i got my own today

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE