Hammock and highlift jack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Ive just had the woodsmoke news letter and have seen a picture on there
of a hammock being hung from a 4x4 window to a highlift jack.
Has any one done this befor ? or dose any one know how it is done.

Thank you.

Swagman.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I haven't seen the pic, but it can be done.

You would need several very good guy-ropes from the top of that high-lift jack down to even better anchor points/stakes. Then that jack is just a "prop stick" to hold up the one end of the hammock.

And be careful HOW you attach the other end to that vehicle window frame. There is a lot of force being applied by that hammock. It would be fairly easy to bend it, or have your hammock rope wrapped around a sharp edge on the door/window.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Bob_about

May 9, 2008
Warwickshire
Anything like this?

"A" frame made out of shelving bracket wall supports with walking stick ferrules on the ends, connected via tie down to spira base earth anchor (see here - http://www.spyrabase.co.uk/index.ph...ct&department=GARDEN+AND+LEISURE&productid=25 ) then hung from the roof rails of the car and covered with an Aldi Tarp. Pictures show a test set up - expected to be fully trialed for sleep at the end of the month - holds wieght OK in daylight!
I have another earth anchor to use in case the ground is soft.

A frame needs to be cut down a bit and will then sit inside car along sill area of floor as a back up in abscence of available trees or fences.

What do you reckon?

car_hammock.jpg

Frame_detail.jpg

car_detail.jpg

ground_anchor.jpg

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Very clever - how thick are the steel shelving supports? (assume they are steel) - I would have thought they would buckle under the load from each end (last time i checked though I didnt have a Phd in strucutral engineering)

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
me - I just fold the seats down in the Disco, then one tape the back door and one through front door on to the roof bars

Thats a good idea aspecially if u have a landy . Some were to relax
while you wait for the AA.:lmao:

Hi Guys,

I've no idea how to post photographs on here, so I've put up a pic on our site, so you can see the set up here - http://www.woodsmoke.uk.com/p/v/Expeditions/Expedition+Skills+Training/

hammock.jpg

Our new website currently has a few glitches when viewed in Microsoft Internet Explorer, so it's best viewed in Firefox or Safari (will be fixed in a day or two). I hope you all like the new design?

I did the tree-less hammock set up for Land Rover Owner magazine, who will be running a detailed step-by-step how-to article later this year. It is really designed for the desert environment, where your secure anchor points are both you spare wheels, buried in the sand. (I used big stakes to mimic the sand anchors).

I don't want to go into it in too much detail, as I'm sure for most folks on here it's pretty self-explanatory once you see the photo, but my top tip would be to tie the hammock off to the seat-belt attachment, as it is obviously a very strong structural support, and use a pair of socks under the hammock guy-line to stop any potential damage to the car window.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ben

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Check out a site called www.hammocks.ie. The sell an A frame stand for hammocks that would be very simple to make.

2 lenghts of 2x2 hard wood bolted together at the top. Some climbing rope and a large anchor.

I have seen this stand in action and it holds up no problem. One end to a wall, tree, or 4x4 in this case and you are in business.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Thank you for that Ben and Toney.

I was thinking of useing this set up when on weekend 4x4 trips with
my 4x4 club as on some of the traks there is very little flat ground for a tent.

Swagman.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE