Hammock Advice Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Couple of questions for all you hangers out there.

Apologies if this is a daft question
I've only ever slept on the flat and tend to sleep on my front/side, kind of in the recovery position (probably ingrained in me as sub conscious self preservation after too many nights following liquid refreshment over indulgence :rolleyes: ). Is it possible to sleep on your side in a hammock? ( doesn't look like it would be very comfy ). Have any of you been the same but got used to the hammock quite quickly?

I live near DD Hammock guy and he said I could have one of the travel ones for £38 if I pick it up when I'm passing. Seems like a good price and I've seen them recommended on here before. However, there was a thread recently which said the quality in the stitching was questionable and really poor in some cases. So can anyone with one of these give me a bit of feedback as to what you think of them. Or what other ones should I consider buying bearing in mind I don't have much dosh to splash out?
Cheers me dears

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
They did have some problems with quality control a while back but I think they've got them sorted now, I didn't see a lot of negative feedback from Sandbags last group buy. If you're picking them up then it's not an issue as you can inspect it there. The problems were mainly to do with the attachment of the tabs on the netting AFAIR.

I can't comment on sleep on your front I'm afraid but I like 'em and find them very comfortable. There's some hammock info on my blogs.

Cheers,

Alan

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
However, there was a thread recently which said the quality in the stitching was questionable and really poor in some cases. So can anyone with one of these give me a bit of feedback as to what you think of them. Or what other ones should I consider buying bearing in mind I don't have much dosh to splash out?
Cheers me dears

Well if you read that thread, you would have the replies. I don't see why I should repeat them here. I have all the DD models and there's been no problem. Nor is stitching a great issue per se. You can send it back if there's any problem, but if you're picking them up you can see for yourself.

I find it strange that someone dug up a two year old thread from a person who had problem then - and now here a new thread again. Similarly, on another forum, someone signed up just to raise this issue. Is there some sort of campaign going on from a competitor googling for forums which mention the DD hammock, and then signing up and bad mouthing them? They are good value for money as most people on this forums can testify - check out the group buys - The THIRD group buys for DD hammocks has just finished.

Believe me - if they were bad quality, you wouldn't have to ask about it - we'd be screaming about it.

BIGWOLFY

Dec 18, 2008
west coast of scotland

I've only ever slept on the flat and tend to sleep on my front/side, kind of in the recovery position (probably ingrained in me as sub conscious self preservation after too many nights following liquid refreshment over indulgence :rolleyes: ). Is it possible to sleep on your side in a hammock? ( doesn't look like it would be very comfy ). Have any of you been the same but got used to the hammock quite quickly?

I live near DD Hammock guy and he said I could have one of the travel ones for £38 if I pick it up when I'm passing. Seems like a good price and I've seen them recommended on here before. However, there was a thread recently which said the quality in the stitching was questionable and really poor in some cases. So can anyone with one of these give me a bit of feedback as to what you think of them. Or what other ones should I consider buying bearing in mind I don't have much dosh to splash out?
Cheers me dears

Is it possible to sleep on your side in a hammock?= yes is the simple answer
as for the rest see DD Hamock or Claytor Jungle??
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39896
The only other advise I can give you is You only get what you pay for in this world.
If you are good at making stuff there are lots of how to on hammocks, Here's just one of them to get you started http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGear.html

hope this helps bigwolfy

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands

Cheers me dears

Get one, i got mine in the gb and its fine mate. The QC has been sorted.:approve: I do sleep on my side in it.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Well if you read that thread, you would have the replies. I don't see why I should repeat them here. I have all the DD models and there's been no problem. Nor is stitching a great issue per se. You can send it back if there's any problem, but if you're picking them up you can see for yourself.

I find it strange that someone dug up a two year old thread from a person who had problem then - and now here a new thread again. Similarly, on another forum, someone signed up just to raise this issue. Is there some sort of campaign going on from a competitor googling for forums which mention the DD hammock, and then signing up and bad mouthing them? They are good value for money as most people on this forums can testify - check out the group buys - The THIRD group buys for DD hammocks has just finished.

Believe me - if they were bad quality, you wouldn't have to ask about it - we'd be screaming about it.

The guy was just asking as would i if there were still bad reports of quality, oaammm chyill.:rolleyes:

I have tried a DD hammock and i didnt like them but thats just me. I found them too small and i didnt like the way the tapes were setup etc.

If you can track down one of the MK hammocks in my personal opinion they are better.
They seem to pack down smaller, have more room and just feel a lot better. I am not sure on cost as i bought mine a long time ago. However you will have to buy some straps and a mozzie net if you need one.

In regards to sleeping on your side its no worries at least it isnt in a MK hammock, not sure about the others. I also tend to prefer sleeping on my side and have no problems.

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Have a look at Hennessey Hammocks site, love mine sleep soooooooooooooooooooo well in it ....
Twodogs
22032009688.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I sleep on my side mostly in my hammock, I can't get off to sleep though unless I'm on my back :confused:

I've never had a DD hammock myself as I prefer the Nomads Land XXL which is just huge and sooooooooo comfy. I remember they did have quality issues at first bit they soon rectified them by talking with their customers and acting on the weaknesses. Not heard a bad word said about them for a long time.

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Thanks for replies folks. Good to hear they're fine for side sleeping. Think I'll go for it.

Well if you read that thread, you would have the replies. I don't see why I should repeat them here.

Why did you bother then? I did read the thread, maybe lots of others with the hammocks didn't. What's your problem?:confused:

I have all the DD models and there's been no problem. Nor is stitching a great issue per se. You can send it back if there's any problem, but if you're picking them up you can see for yourself.

Great, that was the sort of feedback I was looking for and I know I can check it out myself (do you think I'm that daft?,,,,,, no don't answer that:rolleyes: ) but if there was feedback from folk about stitching coming apart after a few months then I'd probably steer clear,,,that's all.

I find it strange that someone dug up a two year old thread from a person who had problem then - and now here a new thread again. Similarly, on another forum, someone signed up just to raise this issue. Is there some sort of campaign going on from a competitor googling for forums which mention the DD hammock, and then signing up and bad mouthing them?

Why is it strange? The thread only appeared to me last night with someone mentioning the stitching failing after a few uses. This person then went on to praise the customer service of the company and the hammock. There's no conspiracy here mate. Don't know what you're on about.
Are you just trying to wind me up or are you just a complete t:tapedshut t

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
It IS strange, because within a few days suddenly it has become an issue whereas we haven't heard anything about that for months -and now suddenly it's bought up - and please note - threads and posts revived that are old.

It is the beginning of the season and viral marketing has started. That's ok - that's good, it's information. But one should stick to current items and not dig up stuff that's old precisely when the company has dealt with it.

Those remarks were not aimed at you - my only beef with you was that you went to a thread where it was being discussed and then bought it up on another thread - it may be another thread but it is still the same site and people!

If you had said that you had just read on another site that there was an issue and you wondered what we thought about it - good. But you were talking about another thread!

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
It IS strange, because within a few days suddenly it has become an issue whereas we haven't heard anything about that for months -and now suddenly it's bought up - and please note - threads and posts revived that are old.

It is the beginning of the season and viral marketing has started. That's ok - that's good, it's information. But one should stick to current items and not dig up stuff that's old precisely when the company has dealt with it.

Those remarks were not aimed at you - my only beef with you was that you went to a thread where it was being discussed and then bought it up on another thread - it may be another thread but it is still the same site and people!

If you had said that you had just read on another site that there was an issue and you wondered what we thought about it - good. But you were talking about another thread!

I dont think its against forum rules to bring up old threads.
If it was i dont think the forum would last long, as the old saying goes :-
"there is nothing new under the sun"

Good luck with the hammock East Coaster, once yer swingin you wont look back ;)

Just re-read that last bit to my self :eek:

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
I dont think its against forum rules to bring up old threads.

I don't think it is either and I never said it was either.:rolleyes:

It is just a wee bit dishonest and underhand against a company which everyone agrees listens to its customers and if an error occurs, it deals with it, and when customers make suggestions, it listens to them and implements those suggestions where feasible.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I don't think it is either and I never said it was either.:rolleyes:

It is just a wee bit dishonest and underhand against a company which everyone agrees listens to its customers and if an error occurs, it deals with it, and when customers make suggestions, it listens to them and implements those suggestions where feasible.

Taking this a little personally mate, you dont work for DD do you ? :p

cub88

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2008
worksop
"I find it strange that someone dug up a two year old thread from a person who had problem then - and now here a new thread again. Similarly, on another forum"

I dont mean to offened Harryhaller but how man times have you read the words "use the search function" when someone has started a thread asking a question? Especially people that are fairly new to the site.

The poor blokes does exactly this and gets you having ago.

Eastcoaster i have 2 dd hammocks and tarps and think they are great. I have one from this years groupbuy and one from the year before and have had no problems what so ever with either. Hope that helps

cheers
cub

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
HH, I must say you have a strange way of looking at things mate.

A company must be pretty mind bogglingly stupid if their idea of "viral marketing" to malign a competitor is to go on a site and praise that competitor with 10/10 for customer service and to say their products are comfy.

I raised a new thread on Kit Chatter as it gets far far more viewers than the Members Reviews and Testing section,,,,,,,,if you don't like that,,,,,,tough bloody luck:p

Anyway I stopped of and picked up a DD travel hammock from Nick at DD today.
A nice young chap, hardly looked old enough to be running his own company. It's based in a detached house in a typical leafy suburb of St Andrews. I may be wrong but I got the distinct impression this company is a one man band running his business from the bedroom and living with his mum. If true, then that's great. Creating business through the web/ebay and keeping costs down with minimal overheads. Should hope that means we get a decent quality product at a decent price, and he makes a good cut too.

Looking forward to getting out and trying it soon:D

Thanks for your comments folks

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
HH, I must say you have a strange way of looking at things mate.

A company must be pretty mind bogglingly stupid if their idea of "viral marketing" to malign a competitor is to go on a site and praise that competitor with 10/10 for customer service and to say their products are comfy.

I raised a new thread on Kit Chatter as it gets far far more viewers than the Members Reviews and Testing section,,,,,,,,if you don't like that,,,,,,tough bloody luck:p

Anyway I stopped of and picked up a DD travel hammock from Nick at DD today.
A nice young chap, hardly looked old enough to be running his own company. It's based in a detached house in a typical leafy suburb of St Andrews. I may be wrong but I got the distinct impression this company is a one man band running his business from the bedroom and living with his mum. If true, then that's great. Creating business through the web/ebay and keeping costs down with minimal overheads. Should hope that means we get a decent quality product at a decent price, and he makes a good cut too.

Looking forward to getting out and trying it soon:D

Thanks for your comments folks

Watch out for " first-time" stretch in the tapes :D

After using mine I don't think I'll ever go back to ground dwelling

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE