Guinea Pig Manure

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonno70

Dec 23, 2023
Cumbria
I have been putting this on my veg plot but have had a comment that it will attract rats. Anyone know if this is the case ?

Jonno70

Dec 23, 2023
Cumbria
Just the pellets or the wood shavings etc too?

If its just pellets go for it. If the cage contents put it in compost.

If they are outside cavies you attract no extra rats than the cages would.

I used to have 15 semi free range ones
Pellets and straw from the cages think there are 8 of them be going outside soon and they don't seem to have attracted any vermin in the past.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was told that it was the remains of food and the dry grass for bedding that was an appeal to the rats.

No idea how true it was, but a neighbour complained about another neighbour putting the old bedding/cage sweepings on her compost heap, and that's the reason she gave.

Personally I'd have put it into a bin and let it worm work down a bit before I put it on the veg beds, easier to keep any rats there might be out of that too.
I think animal waste like that would be brilliant worm food/ compost :)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
It's unlikely you don't have rats anyway and they'll find food about the garden and nesting material regardless of your guinea pigs. We have rats and one of their favourite foods is garden snails and they nest in dried leaves, grass and any plastic they can get their paws on.

However, neighbours may blame you for rats even if it's the scraps they throw out for birds that attract them so composting stuff down may be the wise option. If you're worried about rats though you'll need a robust bin and something to exclude them as they love a nice warm bin to nest in!

Reactions: Pattree and Toddy

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
I was told that it was the remains of food and the dry grass for bedding that was an appeal to the rats.

No idea how true it was, but a neighbour complained about another neighbour putting the old bedding/cage sweepings on her compost heap, and that's the reason she gave.

Personally I'd have put it into a bin and let it worm work down a bit before I put it on the veg beds, easier to keep any rats there might be out of that too.
I think animal waste like that would be brilliant worm food/ compost :)
Rats love a compost pile almost as much as neighbours love a moan, a bit of bedding isn't going to make it any worse!

Also, placing the bin on 6mm weld mesh or similar will help prevent residents burrowing up

Reactions: Pattree and Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Depends on your compost pile apparently.

I use bins and they produce the most beautiful worm worked soil for very little effort, and no rats :)

The pest control fellow who came to do a talk at one of the guilds said that rats like to tunnel; they like to burrow along a wall, or an edge of some kind, they like under slabs and the like.
Honestly ? I reckon there are a heck of a lot more rats about than we ever suspect, and they're opportunistic omnivores.
Pity the damned things carry so many diseases and do so much damage if they get in anywhere.

Reactions: Pattree

Jonno70

Dec 23, 2023
Cumbria
Had an issue last year old fella in the next plot topped up his bird feeder every day and the rats took over they just sat there watching me. Not a big lover of poison but I had no choice really. Shame they are quite cute when you watch them for a time.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Had an issue last year old fella in the next plot topped up his bird feeder every day and the rats took over they just sat there watching me. Not a big lover of poison but I had no choice really. Shame they are quite cute when you watch them for a time.

They make good pets according to a zoologist I know ..... maybe so, but, y'know ? rats.

Reactions: Jonno70

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Two of my family have had pet rats. One used to decoy my wife by climbing into her lap while the other ran off with whatever they had targeted - box of matches, ball of wool currently in use etc. etc.

Guinness pigs abound in the family. The gardening experts among them always compost. Putting straw, hay or shavings directly into soil brings about a ”nitrogen shock” as in the first phase, breakdown bacteria consume nitrogen from the soil. Release of nitrogen to your plants comes in a second phase brought about by a different set of bacteria.

Reactions: Jonno70 and Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE