Greenwood for the bow drill?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi folks

I have been proficient with a bow drill now for a couple of years, my favourite combination is sycamore on sycamore; works every time!
Grey squirrels do a lot of damage but in targeting the sycamore they have provided me with bountiful supplies of standing dead wood.

However I was just watching a video of Uncle Ray showing a demo of what he would do if he required fire on a desert island, the first thing he said was that 'you would normally use green wood for this, dried out'. Hmmm! I've never done this, do you guys prep and use green wood for your sets? Would make life a lot easier in the long term...

Leo

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've used green ivy a couple of times for the complete set. Leaving the bearing block green, unless it well lubed, it smokes like hell even green. It doesn't take long for the hearth to dry out but I've always dried it by the fire overnight. :eek: On a desert island, it wouldn't imagine it would take long for the wood to dry out in the sun but then the bow drill would come well down the list for fire starting in my book.

Ivy is my favourite, followed by alder/pine, sycamore in that order.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE