Greenhouse heaters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

norca

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2012
leeds
ive a heatpal it burns meths and ive had it going all night in my tipi was told it was ok as it was made for confined spaces
like boats never had any prob with it except the condensation in the morning so always take a towel to wipe the tent in the morn should i be worried

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Another vote for a Heatpal, I burn methanol in mine and will run for about six hours or more on low setting ...... ventilation is the key. IF and I stress IF I decide to leave something running it would not be a pressure stove or lantern because of the potential to flare up, the Heatpal or a wick burner is far safer so long as you ensure adequate ventilation. I do this at my own risk based on my personal judgement so no safety lectures please.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
http://www.usepropane.com/ContentPageWithoutLeftNav.aspx?id=3185

Not quite correct, CO is generated by inefficient burning of a fuel, what ever fuel that may be, some generate more CO than others, charcoal is really bad, other fuels possibly not so bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning

Hence good ventilation = good combustion, bad ventilation = bad combustion

Any appliance burning a gas or solid fuel will create CO when burnt.

More confusion.

When we burn fossil fuel CO2 is released.

CO on the other hand is only formed is a poorly ventilated room after there is no longer enough oxygen to form CO2.

ONLY if there is not enough oxygen to form CO2

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I may be thinking of another gas but doesn't carbon monoxide build up mainly at the bottom of a space displacing the air higher?

Steve

It's very slightly lighter than air, don't let that fool you though you can still get pockets of CO at various heights.
That why i try to have my CO monitors at head height.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
When we burn fossil fuel CO2 is released.

CO on the other hand is only formed is a poorly ventilated room after there is no longer enough oxygen to form CO2.

ONLY if there is not enough oxygen to form CO2

I use a flue gas analyser occasionally, and this is for measuring the CO/CO2 mix coming from the burning of fossil fuels.

I look for readings of 0.008 for a gas fired boiler (that's 8 parts CO per million) so even with sufficient fuel air mix there is going to be levels of CO in the mix. Adequate ventilation is the key to burning any fossil fuel, I don't think I would like to be in a confined space full of CO2 either though....

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I use a flue gas analyser occasionally, and this is for measuring the CO/CO2 mix coming from the burning of fossil fuels.

I look for readings of 0.008 for a gas fired boiler (that's 8 parts CO per million) so even with sufficient fuel air mix there is going to be levels of CO in the mix. Adequate ventilation is the key to burning any fossil fuel, I don't think I would like to be in a confined space full of CO2 either though....

As a comparison it's really only after 200 PPM that CO becomes a significant health risk.

Obviously it depends on the location but usually 0.2 PPM is considered the normal CO content of the air we breath.
If you travel to say LA you could expect the air to contain anything up to 20 PPM on a bad day.

With regards to CO2, indeed there have been CO2 related deaths, the only ones i've ever come across though were related to leaking CO2 cylinders.
It's impossible to die from CO2 poisoning from a fire in an enclosed space.

Even if for some reason the basic theory of chemistry turned on it's head, if the CO2 level rose the fire would simply go out.
As i say CO2 is used as an extremely effective fire extinguisher.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
The theory of it going out is true for a simple combustion device such as a candle or maybe trangia but not for something with a more forced combustion happening at a higher temperature such as a stove or pressure lantern. The combustion will just get worse and worse producing more and more CO, so you will never have to worry about the CO2 anyway.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
The candle trangia etc will NOT go out.

It will consume the oxygen until there is very little left, once it gets to this stage it will start forming CO, leave it unventilated much longer and you will fall to sleep and never wake up.

You don't even need a bare flame, smouldering charcoal or a smouldering BBQ will be just as effective at killing the occupants.

Again in this particular case CO2 is NOT a concern, it's CO that will kill.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
According to the British Red Cross Society Hygiene and Sanitation Manual No4 (1914)

"Candles contaminate the air much more than any other form of illumination, one tallow candle being equivalent to twelve adult persons in this respect"

Reading up on Field Latrines now...gripping stuff.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Sorry but the chance of CO poisoning from candles if nearly zero, They are burning very slowly, well controlled and unstably. They produce very small amounts of CO and will go out quickly if oxygen levels drop. Nearly anywhere is adequately ventilated for candle use. Thats not to say its super clean though as there will be soot, unbunt wax etc in the fumes but thats a different argument.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Hi Gray

Why don't you try making one of these .
http://www.heatstick.com/_KanHeet01.htm

I use it in my tent with a tin of chaffin gel instead of a candle, but you could use a meths burner as well.
When you put out the heat source the clay pots will still radiate the heat out.

Bob

mmmm thats a good idea with the plant pot, i usually use chafing gel as its green and clean, was just looking for something a bit different.
Thanks again for the advice chaps :)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Sorry but the chance of CO poisoning from candles if nearly zero, They are burning very slowly, well controlled and unstably. They produce very small amounts of CO and will go out quickly if oxygen levels drop. Nearly anywhere is adequately ventilated for candle use. Thats not to say its super clean though as there will be soot, unbunt wax etc in the fumes but thats a different argument.

This is where confusion starts, if you do not know 100% what your talking about then with opinions related to peoples safety it really is best to just not say anything.

AGAIN
If you have a candle burning in a poorly ventilated environment, it will consume the oxygen until there is very little left.
Once it gets to this stage it will start forming CO, leave it unventilated much longer and you will fall to sleep and never wake up.
You have to remember it's not JUST the candle that's consuming oxygen, you are as well.

IT PRODUCES CO ONCE THE OXYGEN LEVEL DROPS.

It's NOT the type of heat it's 100% down to ventilation, even burning incense in a poorly ventilated room can cause CO poisoning.

If you are in a well ventilated or large room of course there is a very small risk from a candle.
If on the other hand you are in a small shelter that's poorly ventilated then it's VERY dangerous.

I'll also repeat again THE CANDLE WILL NOT GO OUT IF THE CO LEVEL IS HIGH.

Please stop confusing what is a very very simple matter, if you have questions ask, but if you don't understand please do not express a poorly researched opinion.

You have to remember it's not just the candle that's consuming oxygen, it's you as well.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Friend I suggest you rein in your attitude, I know 100% what I'm talking about from many years of scientific research not internet postings. You are welcome to act in anyway you want, as will I but please do not try to insult other peoples intelligence.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Be easier and safer to ban anything with a flame from going inside a tent, no stoves, heaters, wood burners, lanterns, candles, fags, Brier pipes, spliffs, rollies, cigars, lighters and matches et al and just rely on an LED headtorch and cold rations then try and rest and not think about what if your mate goes down with Spontaneous Human Combustion after all your planning and you die from the fumes off his smouldering body while you sleep :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE