Gransfors brucks Splitting Axe...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Just got back from a week in the lakes. We rented a spot in a farmers woodland for private use. The farmer said he would provide wood for us to burn as the area was an SSSI and he didn't want us raping out the standing deadwood. Sounded good to me. Anyway, when we got there, there was a pile of felled tree trunks - about 20 trees, most about 8" to 10" in diameter - all softwood, but it was fairly dry and free. Only problem was it was a bit big, so we ended up renting a Husky, which was annoying as we could have bought one with us had we known, but we weren't there to spend the week cutting wood and it was the only way to cut the logs up in any reasonable time so needs must....

IMG_0710.jpg

Anyway, we ended up with a couple of tons of rounds for splitting. People had taken several axes, obviously there were a few granny B's and hatchets and wotnot. But someone had taken along a brand new 2.5lb Granny B splitting axe with a 20" handle, one of these....

small_splitting_axe.jpg

To the point! This splitting axe was just awesome. It's the first time I've used one and everything from wrist thick logs to 10" rounds were just popping in half with such little effort (you can see the size logs we were chopping in the pic above and it was demolishing them). Everyone there was well impressed with this little axe. Granted, we didn't do much bushcraft, but we did a lot of log splitting for our fire and this axe just wiped the floor with everything else there - including the usual suspects from the GB stable. I am definitely getting one of these and everyone else who used it, is saying the same.

I'm wondering why I dont read much about the splitting axe? There is virtually nothing on the forums about them? I know people use an axe for all sorts, not just splitting, but this axe is very capable as a regular axe too - it's not a maul, it's an axe - basically like a fat shouldered SFA with another pound of weight, a steel colar and an inch longer, grooved handle. It was light enough to split sticks and choke up on and use like a knife, but heavy enough to pop pretty big rounds - I was very surprised by it's power and performance.

Has anyone else used one?

Last edited:

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
I think the general preference for the SFA is partly the weight and size if you are covering any distance and the fact that it is well adapted for small felling tasks as well as general carving etc. You do have to take care when splitting that you don't dull the bit when using one of those. Generally splitting axes don't need to be quite as sharp as ones used for carving.

The other thing is if you do use a splitting axe for a felling or cross grain cuts then the wide bit means that you will need to take a much bigger wedge out to get through it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've used one a couple of times at a friends farm but I wouldn't think about buying one for camping/bushcrafty trips. Maybe if you were heading into the Yukon for a couple of months and were expecting to be splitting down standing dead pines then it would definitely be a nice to have, not really required for a weekend in the UK though, unless you've got a pile of 10" logs to process :)

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I think the general preference for the SFA is partly the weight and size if you are covering any distance and the fact that it is well adapted for small felling tasks as well as general carving etc. You do have to take care when splitting that you don't dull the bit when using one of those. Generally splitting axes don't need to be quite as sharp as ones used for carving.

The other thing is if you do use a splitting axe for a felling or cross grain cuts then the wide bit means that you will need to take a much bigger wedge out to get through it.
Yeah, I hear ya. But the thing I found interesting is that the head profile of this splitting axe is actually very similar to the SFA - at least for the first inch and a half from the edge - a bit fatter but not that much. From there back it goes a lot fatter, but the cutting edge profile is quite similar. As I said, it's not a maul, most splitting axes are a simple sharpened wedge, this isnt, it's like a hybrid between an maul and a SFA and in use for general cross-log chopping, I found it very capable. I can see that a SFA would be better for shelter building, where most of the chopping is cross-cut, but this would cope well enough and lets be honest, how many of us build a shelter every time we go out? For me anyway, the vast majority of my axe use, is just for chopping firewood - so it makes sense to have an axe with a bias for that purpose, especially as these things really are so darned good at it. I'm just surprised that I read so little about them.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I've used one a couple of times at a friends farm but I wouldn't think about buying one for camping/bushcrafty trips. Maybe if you were heading into the Yukon for a couple of months and were expecting to be splitting down standing dead pines then it would definitely be a nice to have, not really required for a weekend in the UK though, unless you've got a pile of 10" logs to process :)

At 2.5lbs, it is a bit on the heavy side for backpacking, but I found this "small" version (note: the size between splitting hatchet and large splitting axe), to be very versatile. It'll split twigs and whallop logs with equal ease. I loved it, we all did. For general fire preparation, all the other axes we took were abandoned pretty much instantly.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They are a good bit of kit, no doubt about it. A trifle small for the really big rounds (2-3' across size), but that's what mauls and wedges are for. The thing they need the most is a good knee to waist high chopping block I find - otherwise you tend to be "crouched" to use them which gets tiresome. That said, I only use high blocks for all but large round splits (which are too heavy to lift and theres little chance of over penetration).

I use axes maninly for running my range and log burners now - and a good tool does take some of the drudge out of it!

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
used one last year - bloomin marvellous axe. - I think I put a comment about it up in the GB axe reviews thread I did over on BB.

a very very good tool.

Andy

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have the large splitting axe and it just eats wood rounds. I mainly use it at home for firewood but also take it along on vehicle-based trips.
Along with the wildlife hatchet it is my GB favourite.

NS

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I have the large splitting axe and it just eats wood rounds. I mainly use it at home for firewood but also take it along on vehicle-based trips.
Along with the wildlife hatchet it is my GB favourite.

NS

We were there to do some green laning, so we weren't short on carrying capacity.

This is us about to start the steps on High Nibthwaite to Parkamoor - in the dark - hehe, that was fun. :D

IMG_6550.jpg

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I use the full fat version for firewooding at home. It is an indulgence though with mauls the difference between cheap and expensive is less pronounced than with cutting tools. A good big maul can be had for £20 at most agricultural suppliers and will split rounds far better than any multipurpose axe. A 20" handle for me is a bit in between like the SFA. I like a full length handle that I can get a proper two handled swing on or short handled hatchets for single handed use.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I have been ranting about mine for the last year , cant say enough about it and it goes with me all the time now along with an SFA or a Wetterlings hunters axe which is starting to come with me more and more before the SFA.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I have been ranting about mine for the last year , cant say enough about it and it goes with me all the time now along with an SFA or a Wetterlings hunters axe which is starting to come with me more and more before the SFA.

I hear you brother. I was thinking a small splitting axe and a wildlife hatchet would be perfect bedfellows ...oh and a 14" Husky of course. :D

I'd say a 10" round is probably the upper comfort limit for the "small splitting axe", we were splitting em into quarter usually, but 8" and below, just popped in haf. For stuff the thickness of your forearm, up to about 8" this axe is an absolute dream.

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I use a maul a lot for firewood here, one of the £20 ones that Robin mentions, I've thought about getting something nice to do it with as I have quite a lot of rounds small enough. I might invest :D

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I use a maul a lot for firewood here, one of the £20 ones that Robin mentions, I've thought about getting something nice to do it with as I have quite a lot of rounds small enough. I might invest :D

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised Tone. Everyone expects a maul to pop logs, that's what it's designed to do, but it's a very task specific tool and you'd never dream of using one as a general duty axe. But these things are not mauls, they are a hybrid axe with a splitting bias. As a general duty axe, they are surprisingly very good, I dont think there is much that you could do with a SFA that you'd struggle to do with one of these, but when it comes to splitting firewood of the size often used in camp fires and wood-burning stoves, they are just awesome. I would highly recommend anyone who gets the chance, to put one through it's paces. I'll definitely be getting one of the 2.5lb/20 inch splitters, it's long/heavy enough to use 2 handed for a heavy wallop and short/light enough to use one handed for when finesse is required. I'd like to try the others in the range, they do 5 sizes I think, but they are a bit pricey to go experimenting with and I know the 20" model just impressed the socks off me.

Danny, one of the lads who came with us, lives in Aberdeen and isn't on the mains. All his heating is wood stoves and backboilers for hot water. So he's no stranger to an axe. For the most part, he's pretty cynical regarding GB axes, thinks they are an overpriced trend item and you have to admit, he has a point. But he fell in love with this 20" splitter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE