GGTBod's 2016 Adirondack adventure

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Well folks, i was eventually lucky enough to get my effluence in the carrying receptacle enough this year to make my planned USA wilderness canoe trip become a reality, so then i've been back in the UK for just over a week and I am still trying to get my head around it all, at some point there will be a trip report (possibly break the whole thing down into several trip reports, some of the days could fill books the way i ramble given half a chance hey just look how much i filled these brackets), i took over 400 images which are keepers and i also have over nine hours of raw video spanning three weeks of wilderness canoe camping.

Anyhoo enough rambling, so far I have managed to edit and upload a video covering some of the first 2 days,

[video=youtube;PXk95mxy_Mc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXk95mxy_Mc[/video]

any feedback greatly appreciated, if you like it don't forget to hit the like button then subscribe and share

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Subscribed... I did follow your progress over at BCUSA, brilliant trip, I'm properly envious.
Adirondack badger has a cool channel too. 😁

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Met some great folks from that website, many drove upwards of 4 hours to come and meet me in the wild and most of those were just for an overnighter, Adirondack Badger is a good chap

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Aye Dewi i told thee it would happen again, getting out the door is the hardest part. Cheers Herbalist1 it really was a great time had, more videos coming soon and eventually a trip report or two

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Aye Dewi i told thee it would happen again, getting out the door is the hardest part. Cheers Herbalist1 it really was a great time had, more videos coming soon and eventually a trip report or two

Blimey, looking forward to seeing your trip report Adventure and a half.

If I survive the arctic, we'll have to do that canoe trip we had a natter about... nowhere near as adventurous as your trips stateside, but it'd be a laugh :D

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
When you do this arctic thing id give up on any ideas of any Apple device working anywhere below 0c and any gopro battery giving a reading above empty for more than 5 minutes of use below -4c, i met 6 different Apple devices below 0c (and their disgusted owners) and all of them continually reported zero battery and switched themselves off anytime their user tried to use them for anything from checking a map, reading a text or heaven forbid try to take a photo or shoot video, once below -4c the 2 different gopros i was using (4 session and 4 Silver) recorded video but within 5 mins flashed up battery warning and within 5 more went off, turning them back on got the same results so you could record but intermittently

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I figured as much with my phone, it didn't fair well in minus conditions last winter, and even with an upgrade I doubt it'll do any better.

I've been looking at weather sealed cameras, particularly the Fujifilm S1. It's light enough not to make a huge difference to my kit and at the same time it should function in extreme cold.

Worst case scenario, I can take a pencil and some paper and draw what I see ;)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I think if i was going in those temps you'll see my camera criteria would be that it works below -15c and has buttons big enough to press easily with huge friggen gloves on

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
both of my gopros worked but they constantly told me the batteries were running out and occasionally would stop recording and act like the battery died but you would turn it on and get another 5-10 minutes before it would do it again, this never really troubled me as i usually shoot video in a lot of small segments, it stressed me regarding power consumption though as i was using solar to charge my power banks and these to charge my tech, my batteries started behaving a little better after i started wearing them in a pocket next to my skin, but as soon as they were in the camera mounted somewhere and got cold they done it again, my phone was totally fine no matter how cold it got (-6c was the coldest), thankfully this is what i took most of my photo's on (Elephone P9000), only thing it did not like was wet hands trying to work the touch screen

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
-6 was cold enough for me, any colder than -10 and we are out of the fun cold zone in my book, a bit cooler than this is where i keep my food i can't eat right now not try to sleep in

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
-6 was cold enough for me, any colder than -10 and we are out of the fun cold zone in my book, a bit cooler than this is where i keep my food i can't eat right now not try to sleep in

LOL, yeah, it's meant to be more than twice as cold as the inside of an average home freezer ..................... :hatscarf:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE