Geocaching

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I have just started geocaching and was wondering how many people from here do it too ?
Anyone got thier own cache or travelbug ? If you have a travelbug how fars it gone ?
Cheers
Pumbaa

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I think there's a few other bushcrafters who are geocachers too, as it was on here that I first heard about it. All my info's in the links below. If you need a hand with anything, just drop me a PM.

This coin tracks our visited caches.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Yes, I'm a geocacher, same username as here. I don't seem to get as much time for it as I would like though! I find its a very good way of learning about new areas you visit, or filling in days on holiday.

Dave

lottie.lou

Forager
Oct 9, 2007
Preston
I've been a couple of times and really enjoyed it. I only have a car sat nav though so I have to try and correlate the big green area on that with an OS map. Suppose I should stop being lazy and work it out on the map!

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Sorrry to ask this but at the risk of sounding totaly ignorant of this subject, can i ask what is a travelbug, please Pumbaa.

Scoops

May 17, 2005
essex
I go geocaching and really enjoy it, i haven't hidden a cache yet but am on the look out for a suitable site to place one.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
What is geocaching?
Its like treasure hunting .... you get a set of gps co-ordinates and go and hunt for the cache..... some are easy to find, even in plain site (though not obvious).... others are well out of the way.

Ed

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Sorrry to ask this but at the risk of sounding totaly ignorant of this subject, can i ask what is a travelbug, please Pumbaa.

A travelbug is an item thats goal is to move from cache to cache . I have had a geocoin already and passed that on . I have seen one that was a car with a travelbug tag on it (like a dog tag) , its goal was too race his brothers car to washington dc . It is trackable all the way (unless someone nicks it) and adds another perspective to the sport .

Pumbaa

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Thanks for that Pumbaa, sounds good .Havent got a gps myself is it possible to just use a compass and map, just a thought till i get one.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
I do it on and off. Just a good excuse to get outdoors and is a great way of walking somewhere you don't know. Also gets you to places you probably wouldn't have seen or been to otherwise.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Havent got a gps myself is it possible to just use a compass and map, just a thought till i get one.
If you only have a compass and map, have you thought about letterboxing on dartmoor (or other places.... but dartmoor was cool)? .... same sort of thing, but coordinate clues are given for use on an os map and compass rather than gps.... see here for more details
http://www.dartmoorletterboxing.org/
or do a google search as there is loads of info on it

Clues to the sites can be rather cryptic but its good fun

:D
Ed

M

mob257774

I have a travelbug. "The Walrus" hopes one day to be photo'd with some of his cousins. At the moment however he is in Hawaii. Not bad for a welsh boy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE