'GAS BOTTLE' Woodburner/Stove questions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,

I've just acquired a free gas bottle from a friend, which I'm planning on turning into a woodburner/stove. I'm after some advice on how to move safely forward with the project. So if anyone of you knowledgeable people have had experience/s with this form of stove, pointers would be much appreciated.

Right, to clear things up, I've never actually seen a gas bottle stove in action, its only through word of mouth from meets that I knew the bottle should be a good acquisition. So advice on if Ive missed a major 'NO NO' :nono: welcome!! (Secondly, there is no company name on the bottle so if it was owned by somebody originally, It doesn't have a return address!! (there loss my gain!) :35: (I believe my friend originally purchased it anyhow!!).. Right legal out the way!

Standard thoughts so far are, the usual door, hinges, seal, flu exhaust, and a possible leg cradle for further support. My thoughts are the bottle will be turned upside down, so the rim/handle becomes the raised foot, and the bottle a flat surface for cooking on! (pic 1)

1: First up, how do I go about emptying the bottle of its liquid gas? Ive never used one of these bottles before! (Pic 2) and I wouldnt want to loose any eyebrows in the process! :confused: :headbang: Can I just hit the valve off and let it all out??? :rolleyes: :cool: (pic 3)

2: Ive got some design ideas, and worked in metal before, but any tips on doors, sealing, etc would be appreciated. I understand there may have to be welding involved, but I might see how far rivets will go first.

3. At this stage, any other tips/tricks/advice would be welcome, as im just putting feelers out at the moment so I can start the planning involved in my head!

:thankyou:

IMG_2474.jpgIMG_2475.jpgIMG_2476.jpg

Rychard

Forager
Apr 20, 2007
cannock staffordshire
i have the same problem have bottle with valve cannot move it but have been told to make a key out of scaffold tube with a slot in to fit over the valve and with a bit of elbow greece should be able to loosen it then screw out by hand:aargh4: if you loose your eye brows first let me know and i will get my son in law ot do mineto:nutkick::stretcher::stretcher:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Remember they have a left hand threaded valve.Make sure its empty(completely!!)unscrew the valve then fill it right to the top with water.This dispels any remaining gas inside.Dont hit the valve off!..just dont!:)

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Remember they have a left hand threaded valve.Make sure its empty(completely!!)unscrew the valve then fill it right to the top with water.This dispels any remaining gas inside.Dont hit the valve off!..just dont!:)

Not necessarily a left hand thread on the bottle to the valve, only from the valve to the appliance, I found that out when I removed the valve from a calor bottle, it is also a tapered thread rather than a parrallel one.

Wings

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hello mate i make these and sell them on, right to take the valve off I use a spanner and and a dead blow mallett therefore eliminate any sparks, unscrew until it starts to realise the gas , when you think there isent anymore take the valve off very slowly at arms length, i usually tie the valve on to the bottle with wire, fill with water, drain do again and drain then you are ready to go. you say turn it upside down but they are round on the bottom as well. so maybe cut and weld a plate on? and not very stable on its rim either, are you using this inside your house?

regards

Nenook

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
just in the middle of doing one of these. I stuck a small screw driver in the valve to empty it and left it upside down until no more gas came out. got a spanner on the valve to undo it then filled with water. left it over night and emptied it.
angle ground the handle affair off the top and the marked the door out. used a hacksaw to cut across until I got through then used jigsaw to cut all sides but left corner intact. drilled holes for the hinges and latch then finished cutting the door out. bolt on hinge or if you have a welder use that instead. this way the door the door will line up nicely :) using the semi circle of the handle affair to make the legs and just need to get my hands on some pipe for the flue.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
When we did ours, we took the valve off and tipped it upside down to drain the liquid gas, then when empty flushed it a few times with water and then threw a match in just to make sure lol

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I also struggled to remove the valve so I gave up! I was making a differnt design, an "open" fire pit style, so (after emptying) I cut the cylinder in half and drilled a few holes to assist air flow.
What i ended up with if effectively two braziers, or I can put one ontop of the inverted other to raise the braier.
What I did find is that after the first fire I lit, I was able to remove the valve. Heating the cylinder loosened the fitting! I have used a gas torch once before to loosen a bolt, so if all else fails you could try that .... just make sure that the valve is OPEN and the cylinder in EMPTY ofcourse !

If you don't have access to a torch, you may be able to start a small fie on top of the cyliner, or put the end of the cylinder into a fire, or if you are cutting a door into the cylinder, you may be able to use that to get some fire in and around the valve ? Always think safety !

Having a gas cylinder brazier is great for small fires at home, I put a couple of steel bars across and I can heat a billy, and it gives me a place where I can conduct firelighting experiments without much risk.

:thankyou:

Thanks guys, I knew I could rely on BCUK, wasnt expecting that many respones though! Wow!! Its on the back burner for now, (pun intended!) as Iv got too many projects on the go, but as soon as Iv finished ill get it on here to show peeps... and if i get stuck again.. ill be posting more questions no doubt!!

:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE