Forest Knights Bow making course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Making you own bow the old fashioned time honored way is one of the things that many of us have on our list of things we want to do as Bushcrafters. I was lucky enough to get a place on one of the best bow making courses around, with the Forest Knights in West Sussex, and this is a review of the course. The course ran over 3 days which for me was the Friday, Saturday & Sunday of the August Bank holiday 2012, so was last weekend at the time of writing. The goal was to convert a large chunk of wood into flat bow, which bent evenly along both limbs & was capable of firing an arrow over 100 yards. The course includes how to make the string, using the Flemish Twist method to create a multi strand bow sting using Dacron threads & bees wax. We also covered the fundamentals of arrow making, before going on to fletch some arrows that we later shot.

The course was held in the grounds of the Amberly Working Museum, on the beautiful South Downs near Arundel in West Sussex, where the Forest Knights have a woodland bow workshop in the Forest Crafts section of the museum. There were 3 of us students on the course, with 2 instructors with us for the 3 day course, which meant we had near enough one on one instruction for the whole course. The instructors for the were Wayne Jones, the founder of Forest Knights, who has many years bow making experience amongst his many other skills. We also had the privilege of being taught by Dave Sinfield, a very experienced bowyer and archer, with many years of experience behind him. Here is an overview of the course.

Day 1: From trunk to plank
Our bow stave blanks were 7 foot sections of beautiful American Ash that Forest Knights had chosen for us to make our bows from. That had been felled some weeks before & had been split into 1/8ths sections, which were roughly 6” across the face & 8” deep. We had a good choice of staves, as there were several spare in case we messed one up, which can be easily done if you don’t pay attention. Here is a picture of one of the staves we started with:

2012-08-25 09.27.45.jpg

Reducing a bit of wood that big down to the a roughly bow shaped plank 3" by 2" was the job of the first day. That meant taking a LOT of wood off the sides & the back but without damaging the front too much, as that would become the face of the bow where a lot of the power comes from. One wrong cut into the face of the bow & you would have to throw it away to start again. The process starts with running a string down the face of the bow stave to mark off a centre line, by marking the a line at each end & in the middle of the stave. This is crucial to the whole process as the dimensions of the bow are determined where the centre line is. A lot of Axe work later & we ended up with something that started to look like a bow:

2012-08-25 09.29.16.jpg

It is hard to describe just how many hours of axe work, measuring, sawing & shaping went into that first day to get that roughed out bow out of the huge piece of wood we started with. I had certainly never done as much axe work in a day & there were plenty of blisters & sore hands at the end of it.

Attachments

• 2012-08-25 09.27.45.jpg
    2012-08-25 09.27.45.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Day 2: Thinning down the blank to become a bow.
The piece of wood we ended up with at the end of Day 1 was roughly bow shaped but was still a couple of inches thick & there was no way that we could bend it. This day was about carefully removing more wood until we got down to a stage where the bow stave could start to be flexed when it was put on the floor & leant on. This was a long & laborious process of marking out 5 growth rings from the front, approximately, shaping the handle & then starting the process of thinning out the limbs very carefully: here are some pics that give you an idea of the process:

2012-08-25 10.21.09.jpg

2012-08-25 11.45.48.jpg

Towards the end of Day 2 the bow is starting to take shape. When it is thin enough to take a string then that was the time that we leaned how to make one, the old fashioned way by braiding 8 strands of Dacron twine into a single string using bees wax to hold it together. A looped end was made at one end & a Bowyers know will be used to hold it in place at the other end. More thinning was done & the fade was put in, which is the transition from the thin limbs to the wider handle.

2012-08-25 11.48.18.jpg

Day 3 Tillering & Testing
We now moved on to the real art of making bows, the tillering process. This is where the stung bow is stretched on a tillering stick or carefully pulled by hand, to work out where the weak places are & what needs to be removed to get the uniform bend in the limbs that we are looking for. This is a very repetitive process of working what to take off next, shaving off a very small amount & looking at it again. It was here that our two instructors really came into their own as the looked at how each bow was bending & what needed to be taken off next. It is easy to take too much off during this whole process, where one cut in the wrong place can ruin your bow. Here is a picture of the tillering process:

2012-08-26 11.15.17.jpg

And here is one of my finished bow:

2012-08-25 17.32.45.jpg

Making a bow like this is a lot more physical work than I imagined & we were working hard for the whole 3 days, especially for the first 2 days where chopping down the large bow stave into thin bow took hours of axe work, then draw knives, spoke shaves & finally scrapers. It was a lot of hard graft but well worth it for the bow I went home with.

Food & Location:
Forest Knights did us proud on the fully catered event with the best food I have had on a course to date. We had ponaced Salmon, Mutton stew, lots of good salads & the highlight for me was the Saturday lunch of Venison hot smoked over the fire for 3 days, that just melted in your mouth like butter. An endless supply of Tea & biscuits kept the energy levels up on this demanding course. The location in the Amberly museum meant that we had a a unique venue to do the project in within their permanent woodland camp at the museum. Every tool you could want (except power tools) were made available, which added to the fun as I tried out lots of different tools on my project.

Verdict:
I was looking forward to this course for months & came away exhausted but happy after 3 days of hard work to produce a bow that I will keep for ever. It does require a commitment to finish the project as there is a lot of work involved but it was very satisfying to shoot my hand made bow in the next door field & watch my home made arrow sail over a hundred yards through the air before it hit the dirt. Here are some more pics of the 3 days & the other students:

2012-08-25 12.01.34.jpg

2012-08-26 15.50.53.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-08-25 10.21.09.jpg
    2012-08-25 10.21.09.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 2012-08-25 11.43.10.jpg
    2012-08-25 11.43.10.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 16
  • 2012-08-25 11.45.48.jpg
    2012-08-25 11.45.48.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 15

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great review Neumo and a fine looking weapon you made. You have the bug now which will consume al of your free time ;)
Always amazes me how short these courses are and yet you still manage to make a bow. I bet it was hard work dragging sore bones out of bed in the morning.

Now you need to make a working re-curve, static re-curve, short bow, backed bows, English long bows and then experiment with heat treating and backing. ;) ;)

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Brilliant review. It looks like it was a very well delivered course. Thank you for the review and pictures, oh and nice bow.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I did this course three years ago and Dave and Wayne (and Peter) were brilliant. What I especially enjoy on a Forest Knights course is that you really have a great time in the woods, with really superb food and a lovely location, as well as learning the skills. They make other bushcraft providers feel a bit like bootcamp.

My Forest Knights flatbow is still shooting well and I have gone on to get well and truly hooked on flatbow field archery.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
David. Thank you for the kind words. It was a pleasure having you along for the course. Its always great for us to watch people shoot their first arrow from a bow they have crafted totally using hand tools from tree to bow.

Now you have the skills to make another bow at your leisure and are free to use power tools to speed the process.

Geordie9

Forager
Oct 25, 2010
Hampshire
Great review Neumo.
I have to agree that the food and course were great although I didn't realise just how hard it would be on the first day, thankfully the blisters have just about vanished now :).

Thanks to Wayne and Dave for their patience with my poor use of the axe and the other tools.

I still some work to do on the bow but after 3 hard days it was great watching the arrow leave the bow on the Sunday afternoon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE